Some Random MLB Concepts (Hand Drawn)(Rockies 12/2)

jn8

So Miami’s new logos and uniforms have been met with mostly mixed reactions. Personally, I’m a fan of them, but others say they’re too black heavy. I can see that, and do believe a little more color could make them even better, so that’s what I’ve tried to do. Over the past few days, I’ve been doing quite a few sketches tweaking and evolving the Marlins logo, but I’m sort of stuck on where to go. I’ve got quite a few pages drawn out, so I guess I’ll go over them page by page. There's quite a few, so be. warned, this could get kinda long.

spacer.png

So here's page one. I broke them up into groups 1A and 1B because before I knew I'd be posting these rough drafts, I kinda just drew them wherever I felt like. 1B is a later evolution, so for now let's just pretend it's not here, okay?😉 At the very top you can see my modified fish-M logo which, in my world, would be the primary instead of that weird baseball stitches over the script they actually use. Right off the bat I changed the colors. I knew even if I kept the logos absolutely identical I was going to make this one change. A magenta/hot pink color replaces the red-orange. For the most part, this version stays pretty close to the original. I dropped the tail of the fish so it no longer crosses in front of the M, made the blue and (now) pink lines thicker and added a black stroke separating the pink and blue, allowing them to pop more and give more of a neon sign vibe. Lower down are the Miami script and an example of the numbers with the same tweaks as the primary logo: thicker outlines to add more color. Like I said earlier, the logo/script labeled 1B came later in the process and will be discussed then.

spacer.png

Now comes page 2 and the first "evolution" of my tweaks. I wasn't quite sold on the first tweaks I made, so I kept going. I wanted to keep the neon sign on a dark backdrop vibe going, so I was afraid to drop black or make the script blue, but I still wanted to get more color. In this version, the script (and numbers) become blue with a black in-line. The full-bodied fish is at the bottom, the same fish would be used for both this and the previous page's logo sets.

spacer.png

This is when I got to the 1B logos. I just kinda did those at random and, to my surprise, I kinda liked them. I wanted to get a more fleshed-out version, so that's what came on page 3. Like I've said above, I REALLY wanted to keep the neon sign feel, and with these I fully embraced it, making the logos look like literal neon signs These were still pretty rough, so I wanted to clean them up better and thats what I did on page 4:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full on, literal neon sign logo and word marks. Yes, I know one of the wordmarks *technically* says "arlins." These were quick and I didn't want to make the M again because there's so many small lines, so I just did what was simplest at the time. There are also two fonts I experimented with. Font A is based of the current font+the neon sign M, font B is based off the neon scrip used for the -iami and -arlins portions of the word marks. 

j6xmrtB.jpg

Page 5 simply shows how the neon scrip would appear on different colored backgrounds. 

Right now, that's what I have. But I don't know what direction I want to go. I have three choices, Option 1, the logos on page 1, Option 2, the logos on page 2, or Option 3, the logos on pages 3/4/5. I honestly think I'd be happy with any of them, but I'd like to hear what others think before I start on final drafts and uniforms. Option 1, 2, or 3? And if 3, which number font? I'm even open to suggestions of a whole new direction all together if someone has one. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big upgrade already! I would try the current red, just because I think that’s more realistic, I don’t think the team is going to actually go full pink as of now. But I’d much prefer the pink. I’d also try a wordmark that’s all the same color. No black m and blue text. I wanna see what an all black text would look like.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

So I rolled along and made a final version of everything. I cleaned up the logos and scripts from pages 4 and 5. I ended up going with font A from page 4. I don’t usually like italic numbers or completely round fonts, and font B was both of those things, so as much as I tried to like it to get some more blue on the jerseys, I just couldn’t get myself to like the font. So I went with the font based of the primary logo.

Hats:

Two hats, but both are similar. Both have black crowns with the fish-only logo, but one has a blue bill and button, the other swaps in pink.

Jerseys:

A whopping 5 jerseys, in white, gray, blue, pink, and black. The white and pink jerseys have the Marlins script, the gray and black jerseys have the Miami script, and the blue jersey has Miami, swapping pink and blue for better contrast. On the sleeves, the jerseys have a striping pattern that replicates the scripts, going thin black-thick blue-thin black-medium pink-thin black, with blue and pink swapped on the blue jersey.

Pants:

Three pairs, white, gray, and blue. All pairs have striping down the side matching the jerseys and belts are colored to match the socks, which come in blue, pink, and black.

Rules:

Ah yes, rules for the uniforms. The bill of the caps should match the socks/undershirts unless black socks are being worn (because there isn't a solid black cap). While black socks and undershirts are an option, they should be avoided. Ideally, blue would be the most common choice, with pink a close second, and black being worn only when necessary, such as with the blue pants or black jerseys. All three colored jerseys can be worn at home with white pants, and the blue and black jerseys can be worn on the road, with blue and gray pants, respectively. Pink jerseys stay at home. 

This is the first time I've done this with baseball, normally I stick to football concepts, so I kinda improvised the presentation as I went along. Hopefully it isn't too bad to even look at. Here's the final product:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Personally, I like how the neon "light bulbs" pop off the black backgrounds, but if all I wanted was my opinion, I wouldn't be posting them here. What do you guys think? Compared to the real Marlins redesign, upgrade, downgrade, flat? Let me know!

On 3/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, bradsbeard said:

I’d like to see an alternate featuring the fish by itself as a chest patch. 

Well well well, great minds think alike😉

spacer.png

I had a couple things I wanted to see, so I thought this was a better use of my time than taking notes in class.

From left to right:

Blue jersey with white pants and pink-billed cap and accessories. I wasn't sure if the pink would work with the blue jerseys and was initially against it, but I wanted to draw it out to see for sure. Final judgement: I'm still not sure. 

Fish-logo on pinstripes. Based on the 2000s alternate, I almost included it from the start, but decided not to for reasons I'm not even sure of myself. They had pinstripes fro a large portion of their history and with Derek Jeter now as an owner, the pinstripes could make a decent Sunday afternoon alternate, at least in my opinion.

The last one is simple enough. Home jersey with pink-bills, sleeves, belts, etc. It wasn't included in the initial post simply because there wasn't space. Like I said earlier, the pink and blue accessories and caps are pretty much interchangeable with any jersey, so I could do a bunch more of those, but this is one I really wanted to knock out, just to show the mix and match possibilities with accessory colors. 

And one more:

spacer.png

Some rule around here requires that any Marlins concept has to have at least one version in the original colors, right? 😁

The concepts are great, but as someone who does and likes art in general, your human-drawing skills are fantastic! Your ability to make real looking people and the way you shade is just amazing. Kudos to you!

17 hours ago, jn8 said:

Well well well, great minds think alike😉

spacer.png

I had a couple things I wanted to see, so I thought this was a better use of my time than taking notes in class.

From left to right:

Blue jersey with white pants and pink-billed cap and accessories. I wasn't sure if the pink would work with the blue jerseys and was initially against it, but I wanted to draw it out to see for sure. Final judgement: I'm still not sure. 

Fish-logo on pinstripes. Based on the 2000s alternate, I almost included it from the start, but decided not to for reasons I'm not even sure of myself. They had pinstripes fro a large portion of their history and with Derek Jeter now as an owner, the pinstripes could make a decent Sunday afternoon alternate, at least in my opinion.

The last one is simple enough. Home jersey with pink-bills, sleeves, belts, etc. It wasn't included in the initial post simply because there wasn't space. Like I said earlier, the pink and blue accessories and caps are pretty much interchangeable with any jersey, so I could do a bunch more of those, but this is one I really wanted to knock out, just to show the mix and match possibilities with accessory colors. 

And one more:

spacer.png

Some rule around here requires that any Marlins concept has to have at least one version in the original colors, right? 😁

i would send these in forreal

As a Marlins diehard (Who can't stand the new look), these are fantastic...solves pretty much everything wrong with their new set. I love those neon accents you put on the interior of the M. I'd love to see an all-pink or all-blue hat that really capitalizes on the colors they wanted to bring out with the revamp.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:04 PM, TigerBarb said:

I'd love to see an all-pink or all-blue hat that really capitalizes on the colors they wanted to bring out with the revamp.

I think I had the pink and blue caps in the rough drafts, along with some others. I’ll dig around and see if I can find the pages—they’re probably buried in a notebook in my room, should be easy enough to find. 

Here they are:

Yx9vjYe.jpg

Also have a black hat with a white front panel, a blue hat with a black front panel (ugly as hell, wtf was I thinking? Just exploring options I guess), and a blue hat with a white front and pink bill—no black anywhere. Also had 3 jerseys: one similar to the final without black, a vest, and a pinstriped jersey. And a single sleeve testing what I eventually used as the final sleeve design. 

Here’s a quick blue hat-blue jersey combo

84DXDKJ.jpg

Side note: I might dump another team in here in the coming days. I won’t say I’m doing the entire MLB, but at least one other team will probably get posted soon

Like I said in my previous post, we gots another team in here, the San Diego Padres! It's sounding like they're going back to their brown and gold color scheme, so I thought I'd take a swing at it. First up, the primary logo:

spacer.png

Front and center is a (slightly tweaked) swinging friar. The backdrop of the logo is the top of a San Diego Mission, though I dropped the cross to avoid alienating non-Christians (thank you roommate for pointing that out). The bottom of the logo then comes to a point, representing home plate. On the bell at the top of the logo, the interlocking SD is placed as a callback to the classic Taco Bell hats.

On that note, the alternate logo:

spacer.png

Simply the SD-bell placed inside a circle. You can see it better here, so I'll point it out now. The SD now fully interlocks, no awkward cut like in the D of the current logo.

So those are the logos. I'll be posting uniforms separate as soon as they're finished, likely pretty soon.

Okay, now for the uniforms:

Hat:

Modernized the Taco Bell hat. That’s all they need in my opinion. I might do up some potential alternates tho, just to have some fun.

Jerseys:

Four jerseys, home whites, tan roads, yellow and brown alternates. Yes, you read that right, tan road. I'm on the "non-gray road uniforms" bandwagon lately, so if theres a team that, in my opinion, can pull off a tan or powder blue or whatever road set, I'll take that chance. The home whites have a modified, cleaned up version of this script with the colors reversed, so it's now yellow outlined in brown. The roads have the San Diego script they used for most of the 2010s in brown with a yellow outline. Both the home and road jerseys have double piping on the sleeves and collar and have the SD-bell logo on the left sleeve. The alternates both have the SD on the left chest with the player number on the right with no outlines. They have single piping around the sleeves and single headspoon piping, to fill in the lack of a script on the front. The alternates have the swinging friar logo as the sleeve patch. The number font is based of the SD logo with rounded edges and small flairs on the serifs. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's that. Are there any alt caps you'd like to see? Or any changes you'd make?

Just to be clear though, THIS IS NOT AN MLB REDESIGN SERIES, I'M JUST DOING WHICHEVER TEAMS I FEEL LIKE, WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE AND DROPPING THEM HERE, IF I DO ANY MORE AT ALL. Yeah, I'll probably do more. 

Archived