MBurmy

Atlantic City Blackjacks (New Arena Football League team)

Press release link.

spacer.png

"Blackjacks" was by far the best name of the finalists, and so far, the feedback on this logo has been positive...what say ye?

What happened to the top of his head?

This is a very good name; I am very glad they chose something related to gambling.

And the logo is very nicely done, a beautiful adaptation of the typical playing card image.

Both of these choices are surprisingly good for this league.

I wish this was the name of the Golden Knights

Name is alright, logo is horrifying.

At least they tried. Columbus, meanwhile, recycled the Destroyers name (and switched from red and blue to black and gray).

Yeah. THe Columbus logo looks like crap because it's just a gray scale logo. The Black Jacks logo needs a little work and it'd be the best logo in the league. 

I think it’s pretty close to being a great logo. It just needed another couple of iterations.

Looks like Jack Sparrow grew a red beard and got a job as a short order cook at a diner.

I understand not wanting to look exactly like the Jack on a deck of playing cards but that would be an improvement over this guy.

I am not getting the criticism of this logo.  To me it instantly evokes the thing that it is referring to, without copying that thing exactly.  It is a fine interpretation, done in a style that incorporates just enough fierceness, though not an excessive amount.  The more I look at it, the more I like it. 

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am not getting the criticism of this logo.  To me it instantly evokes the thing that it is referring to, without copying that thing exactly.  It is a fine interpretation, done in a style that incorporates just enough fierceness, though not an excessive amount.  The more I look at it, the more I like it. 

I agree. I just wish the lines and everything looked smoother. Right now it seems kind of jagged and a bit pixelated. 

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It evokes the right things, but it’s a truly awful drawing. The art from a playing card shows depth, nuance of form, graphic simplicity, etc. This honestly looks like it was drawn by someone who doesn’t know that you can use Bézier handles to create curves in drawing software. It shows a complete lack of understanding the principles of visual design and the tools used to create it.

I'm no graphic expert by a long shot, but looks like it was done in Paint in the 90's.

That is the biggest, Nike (not so)Swoosh(-iest) eyebrow I've ever seen. And are those supposed to be bags under his eyes or eyeblack? If the face were done a little better, everything else, as is, would be elevated. Although the point of the back of the hair going beyond the wordmark causing the grey keyline to jet out is awkward and unappealing. Plus, did they really need to put the suits of the cards like that? Looks like it was just thrown in there to fill space.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

It evokes the right things, but it’s a truly awful drawing. The art from a playing card shows depth, nuance of form, graphic simplicity, etc. This honestly looks like it was drawn by someone who doesn’t know that you can use Bézier handles to create curves in drawing software. It shows a complete lack of understanding the principles of visual design and the tools used to create it.

The use of sharp angles is more easily explained as a perfectly valid artistic choice.