MBurmy

Atlantic City Blackjacks (New Arena Football League team)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

The use of sharp angles is more easily explained as a perfectly valid artistic choice. 

 

It’s not the style that’s the issue. It’s the fact that whoever illustrated this has no idea what the proportions of a human head are or how to do a “playing card” inspired logo in a “sports logo” style.

 

Take this @sparky chewbarky concept for example. Immediately, you can tell that this logo is inspired by a playing card, but you can also see that this that SC has a firm grasp of what he’s trying to do. The outline weights are monoline and consistent (just like a playing card), some features are exaggerated but the general proportions of the head are correct, and the composition of the entire logo is strong.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the logo *shrug*

 

The MS Paint comments are total BS by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a good start for a first-time poster on the boards. But for a professional organization of any kind, it’s not polished enough by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see Rothbart got another job after The Swan Princess stopped being financially viable enough for sequels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

The use of sharp angles is more easily explained as a perfectly valid artistic choice. 

 

Of course it’s a valid artistic choice, but I think that implies that there’s a good reason behind it. Here’s what they have to say:

 

“The dynamic angles in the logo represent a hard-set determination and attitude meant to intimidate anyone who dares to oppose. The logo portrays the team’s identity and the Embodiment of a tough city with an independent streak looking to dominate the AFL with grit and confidence.”

 

That’s pretty conceptually bare if you ask me (not to mention cringe-inducing to anyone who writes copy).

 

Also, if the angular style is such an important artistic choice, wouldn’t a good designer have illustrated the rest of the card in the same style rather than haphazardly pasting this polygonal head on top of a richly detailed, curvaceous and ornamental illustration of a suit card? I mean, look at the keyline around the head in the bottom section! It literally looks pasted on top of a traditional playing card with no attempt made to integrate it into the illustration (and those hearts!).

 

spacer.png

 

That’s beside the point, though. The angular design language isn’t the problem; it’s the execution. Simplified, geometric illustration is having a moment, and there are people absolutely nailing that style, so I know for a fact this could have been stunning. Instead, it fell completely flat (pun intended).

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@andrewharrington, is that playing card design you posted available as an actual deck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Also, if the angular style is such an important artistic choice, wouldn’t a good designer have illustrated the rest of the card in the same style rather than haphazardly pasting this polygonal head on top of a richly detailed, curvaceous and ornamental illustration of a suit card? I mean, look at the keyline around the head in the bottom section! It literally looks pasted on top of a traditional playing card with no attempt made to integrate it into the illustration ....

 

That is a good point; I do see that flaw. The outlines on the rest of the card and on the heart should be as thick as the lines in the head logo.

 

 

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

(and those hearts!)

 

If you are implying that there is something wrong with the shape of the heart, then I will disagree. That's how a heart looks in the graphical universe of this logo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of the style used. The line weights, although apropos for face cards, are too thin for a sports logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If you are implying that there is something wrong with the shape of the heart, then I will disagree. That's how a heart looks in the graphical universe of this logo.

 

That’s no excuse for them to be overly simplistic (or downright ugly) for that matter. Again, you’re mistaking my critique of them. It’s not the fact that they’re angular that makes them unappealing. They’re just not execulted well. Drawing in that style is difficult, and whoever did this is not well practiced in building form with geometric shapes.

 

It can be done. I mean, this company somehow managed to create (or source) a decent form for their polygonal heart nipple rings...

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Skycast said:

I'm no graphic expert by a long shot, but looks like it was done in Paint in the 90's.

This right here! So close but the execution is bad. Especially at this level! Pay somebody to fix it please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I mean, this company somehow managed to create (or source) a decent form for their polygonal heart nipple rings...

Thanks for that visual 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

 

That’s no excuse for them to be overly simplistic (or downright ugly) for that matter. Again, you’re mistaking my critique of them. It’s not the fact that they’re angular that makes them unappealing. They’re just not execulted well. Drawing in that style is difficult, and whoever did this is not well practiced in building form with geometric shapes.

 

It can be done. I mean, this company somehow managed to create (or source) a decent form for their polygonal heart nipple rings...

 

spacer.png

I'd like to nominate this for Post of the Day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 10:20 PM, nash61 said:

I'd like to nominate this for Post of the Day

 

I think that might require a post showing the nipple rings in action . . .you know, for perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.