Rivalries That Never Happened

MilSox

Yeah solely on a geographic basis the NFL alignment would/should be what Brian in Boston posted for the AFC and then the current NFC but with Carolina and Dallas swapped.

But, especially in football where only one game is played a week, I definitely think they made the right choice maintaining existing rivalries at the expense of geographic 'perfection'

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I'm fine with the divisions.  There are a few geographic anomalies, but the maintenance of historic rivalries (Dallas with the Giants, Eagles and Redskins; Miami with the Bills, Jets and Patriots) are worth the few blips on the map.

And the Seattle switch to the NFC worked out basically immediately; at this point, they've always felt like an NFC team. They've certainly had significantly more success in the new conference.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 3/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, Walter Sobchak said:

Where did you see the Bills being put in the AFC North? Back when the league was going to realign, they had seven options with the Bill the remaining in the AFC East in all of them. One of the options did have the Ravens in the AFC East though.

https://www.nfl.info/nflmedia/news/2001news/realignment_scenarios.htm

That would have been awesome for the Ravens to be in the AFC East.  It would have given the Patriots more run for their money. 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:59 PM, DG_Now said:

And the Seattle switch to the NFC worked out basically immediately; at this point, they've always felt like an NFC team. They've certainly had significantly more success in the new conference.

Some of those options had San Diego going to the NFC instead...

40 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Some of those options had San Diego going to the NFC instead...

At the end of the day, Seattle going to the NFC was the only option. You had Denver, San Diego, Oakland and Kansas City being in the same division since the inception of the AFL. You had established rivalries between those 4 teams with the Raiders in particular having fierce rivalries with the Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers....and then you had Seattle. Odd man out.

the U.C (Universal Century) and the A.C (After Colony) timelines (oh wait)

anyway,  The Colorado Avalanche and the Red Wings.  before you all get on me, yes it was a rivalry for a short time, but now its not.  would add Ave's Stars too.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

18 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

the U.C (Universal Century) and the A.C (After Colony) timelines (oh wait)

anyway,  The Colorado Avalanche and the Red Wings.  before you all get on me, yes it was a rivalry for a short time, but now its not.  would add Ave's Stars too.  

Sounds more like a Japan vs. America rivalry with Future Century tripping out on acid somewhere in the corner.

Seriously, I remember when Avs vs Red Wings was a rivalry. Very intense. Same with Stars vs Red Wings too. Really the secret to a rivalry is to meet in the playoffs a lot. That'll do it.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, Red Comet said:

At the end of the day, Seattle going to the NFC was the only option. You had Denver, San Diego, Oakland and Kansas City being in the same division since the inception of the AFL. You had established rivalries between those 4 teams with the Raiders in particular having fierce rivalries with the Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers....and then you had Seattle.

Additionally, Seattle moving to the NFC West in 2002 was a return of the franchise to both the conference and division in which it began its NFL existence back in 1976.   

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Raptorman415 said:

My question is, why did the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry become so big in the AL while the Boston Braves/New York Giants or Boston Braves/Brooklyn Dodgers not become so big in the NL? 

The Boston National Leaguers stunk for most of their existence and it's hard for a rivalry to form when one team is consistently in the second division.

1 hour ago, ltp74 said:

The Boston National Leaguers stunk for most of their existence and it's hard for a rivalry to form when one team is consistently in the second division.

Would the Patriots and Colts naturally be rivals after 2001? No. Rivalries happen when stakes are high. I remember when Bills-Dolphins was a huge rivalry when Jim Kelly and Dan Marino were playing against each other. Now? Not so much.

2 hours ago, ltp74 said:
3 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

My question is, why did the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry become so big in the AL while the Boston Braves/New York Giants or Boston Braves/Brooklyn Dodgers not become so big in the NL? 

Right.  The Boston Braves, apart from their pennant in 1948, spent most of the time near the bottom of the National League.  And, of course, the Giants and Dodgers had each other as main rivals.  Meanwhile, the Yankees and Red Sox had plenty of history between them: Babe Ruth, Carl Mays, Williams vs. DiMaggio (extending well into the Mantle era), the 1949 pennant race. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived