Lions let a good thing go bad

Samifumi

The lack of black striping on the helmet and pants is messed up.  Management indicated that they wanted an invigorating look while maintaining tradition.  I think that they should have started from scratch and used traditional stylings.  This is awful.  The sad thing is that its not even the worst uniform out there.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I like these. They aren't as bad as I thought they would be.  At least there is white stripes on the blue jersey.

My one concern is the black facemask...why did they even bother?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

All this does is set things up nicely for whoever replaces Millen. They can come in, maybe turn around the team, and while he's at it, switch the uniforms back to "throwbacks" -- either last year's or something from further back -- and make all the Lions fans much happier. Whoever follows Millen should have it easy.

Unless of course, the Lions fans love these. Early word out of Detroit is "No." It looks forced to me. I'm not a fan.

another NFL properties convaluted mess. Why is it so hard for

them to do the simplest things. The sleeve stripes look absolutely terrible, that's not the Lions I know. Yet they keep

the helmet and pant stripe virtually the same. And the facemask, well that's just ridiculous.

stuff like this makes me so frustrated and teed off

I think (don't hold me to it) i know why the lions keep their colors like that because of the Ford company. Take a look at the pic on the first post in this topic. the blue in the ford logo is the same as the blue on the away.

That my threoy and i'm sticking to it.

The Lions DID need to do something - the Lions themselves admitted that the colors looked a bit "washed out".  To me - the White jerseys and Silver pants REALLY did.

However, I still think adding Navy Blue might have looked a little better - and, a bit more unique.

I would have also thought out those striping patterns on the sleeves a little more.  They are a complete mess.

quantumfreak said "The lack of black striping on the helmet and pants is messed up. " 

actually, i think if you look at the first pic with the mascot, there might be some black striping in the helmet. The stripes (if you look hard enough) might go (inside to out) white, thin black, blue.

The Lions DID need to do something - the Lions themselves admitted that the colors looked a bit "washed out".  To me - the White jerseys and Silver pants REALLY did.

I agree that the coloring of the Lions' uni's did lend itself to a washout effect, especially since they have played the last 28 seasons under harsh, artificial, indoor lighting.

Unfortunately, I have neither the talent nor tools to illustrate my suggestions for what they could have done but I can present my general idea and maybe someone might want to take a swing at it.

First, change the greyish silver color they use to more of a chrome (they are the Motor City's team, after all).  There has to be a way to make a chrome-looking helmet without the risk of chipping.

Second, darken the blue a bit - it doesn't have to be that much darker (lest the Cowboy comparisons start flying), but a slightly deeper shade would be nice and would provide more contrast with the silver/chrome.

Third, get rid of the white stripes (not the band - they're from Detroit too) on the helmet and pants.  They weren't there originally and aren't really needed if the blue is darker.  Numbers on the home jersey should be silver trimmed in blue and then white.  Numbers on the road jersey should be blue with white and then silver trim.  I go with a thin - thick - thin sleeve striping scheme -- silver on the homes and blue on the roads.

Just my two cents.

quantumfreak said "The lack of black striping on the helmet and pants is messed up. " 

actually, i think if you look at the first pic with the mascot, there might be some black striping in the helmet. The stripes (if you look hard enough) might go (inside to out) white, thin black, blue.

My understanding of the stripes is that the blue stripe is bordered by a thin black stripe on both sides, so that the striping pattern from middle out is white - black - blue - black.  That is also how Charles Arey has presented the helmet on the Helmet Project.

It's where I sit.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived