sportsfan7

United Basketball Association-First Identities Redo

The United Basketball Association has been announced as a new professional basketball league. The league hopes to be competitive with the G-League from the start and be a rival of the NBA in 10-15 years. The League will start in the fall of 2019 and hopes to have 8-16 teams.

drltDZE.png

The UBA has announced where 4 of the inaugural teams will be based; Louisville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Nashville.

The league announce the rest of the teams in the league soon, as well as the identities of the announced teams.

The UBA has announced that there will be franchises in Baltimore and Raleigh.

The league hopes to add more teams before the season but most observers think there won't be any expansion beyond the announced 6.

The league also revealed the identities of 2 teams: Louisville and Pittsburgh

Louisville Colonels

Logo

je5ijap.png

Home Uniform

gaukulH.png

Away Uniform

wWUzu1B.png

Alternate Uniform

EfD1vMp.png

The name Colonels was chosen as a reference to the old Kentucky Colonels of the ABA and, presumably, Colonel Harland Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken. It was the overwhelming favorite, getting 82% of the fan vote, to RiverKings 16% and Derby-Men 2%. The red was chosen as an homage to the Louisville Cardinals, the green as a reference to the military, and the cream because it looked good.

Pittsburgh Machine

Logo

99UQ6Pq.png

Home Uniform

4DA21gG.png

Away Uniform

haRpu8b.png

Alternate Uniform

ExeK1wb.png

The name Machine was chosen to represent the cities industrial roots. It was chosen by the owners over other manufacturing-themed nicknames; Industrials, Flames, and the fan-favorite Ironmen. The colors were chosen to be something that didn't stand out, but looked gritty, like the city itself.

C&C greatly appreciated

Those logos (team and league) looks more 70s than present day. Still good logos, just not present day.

51 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

Those logos (team and league) looks more 70s than present day. Still good logos, just not present day.

Some of the teams are struggling financially and have decided to skimp on marketing and design budgets in order to get better players. However, some of the teams will have more modern identities.

So, there are a lot of issues here for me. Logos are not well-thought (maybe for seventies as the user above told so), and the execution is quite poor. Mostly comes from the lack of a stroke in the white jersey of Pittsburgh, from the discontinuity in the NOBs of Louisville and from this template that I really do not like. The shorts remind me of LEGO, don't know why,

The best advice I can provide is:

First. Get a nicer template, look around in the forums or draw one from a jersey image like ones we have currently.

Second. Take a lot of time in each concept. Haste makes waste. Showing a well-done and careful work not only will improve your skills, but will get you better advice.

looking forward to a Michigan team Looking forward to a Michigan team 

I have decided to update the Louisville Colonels and Pittsburgh Machine identities. I have updated the templates and put more time into the uniforms and attempted to modernize them. Thanks to @TargetToad and @JohnnyRfl for their feedback. I also decided not to do an alternate jersey because most minor leagues don't have them. However in a few years, as league gets bigger, I plan to reintroduce them. I also got rid of the shorts because I couldn't find a good template for them and felt like they didn't add much to the uniform sets. I plan to introduce shorts to the sets as my design skills improve.

Louisville Colonels

Logo

9UOT7K3.png

Home

iXCjOyL.png

Away

69jb2f1.png

Pittsburgh Machine

Logo

yxM12D8.png

Home

d6zQGbS.png

Away

d4ok67R.png

C&C greatly appreciated

@sportsfan7

Regarding your new uniforms and such, there is an improvement. But i think you should sit down and pull up pictures of NBA uniforms, college basketball uniforms and G-league uniforms. And compare and contrast what they have or don’t have and what your uniforms have and don’t have. Things such as font thickness and font choice. I would change the “Pittsburgh” scripts and the NOB on both sets. Most of the time the NOB would be a block font, I would also thicken up the scripts on the front of the uniforms.

When reasearching pay attention to how the home and always usually match design-wise, size of things on the uniforms, such as logos numbers names and patterns or stripes, I would also do the same with your logos aswell.

Making sure the colors don’t contrast too much, like they do on that Louisville logo. I would suggest (on the logo, the uniforms use the colors better, I would still add more red to the away tho) but on the logo you should maybe play around with the bird and use some white/cream to separate the two colors.

I would find a better template still. There’s plenty on this website, that people have posted, that you can download and use. The pants are also an important part of the design. I would definitely include them into the template and presentation.

Hopefully this helps some more!