My take on MLB/Nike 2020 (Mets, Twins, and Pirates added)

csura999

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, @BellaSpurs! What if I told you that the Marlins WON'T be using teal?

Project: Nike/MLB 2020--Team 6/30: The Oakland Athletics.

rrkv4g.jpg

The Oakland Athletics under Nike officially go back to a lighter shade of green (complete with distinctive nickname ("Pacific Ocean Green")), and also bring back matching nicknames for yellow ("Fort Knox Gold") and white ("Polar Bear White").

Their uniforms now all have sleeve piping inspired by what they wore in the 1970's during their dominant run in the American League. The home whites have a yellow "A's" logo on the front, yellow numbers and name on back surrounded by a thick green outline (thick for legibility). The road greys have a slight green hue to them, and retain the "Oakland" word mark.

The yellow alternate now reads "Athletics" across the front. The green alternate can be worn both at home and also on the road. Their iconic green cap with a yellow squatchee and brim will be worn with every uniform.

Home:

qp2rnl.png

Away:

2gycema.png

Home alternate 1:

atn0p4.jpg

Home alternate 2:

vcuskg.png

Away alternate:

2dua6c0.png

Project: Nike/MLB 2020--Team 7/30: The Miami Marlins.

29c5kz5.png

The Miami Marlins fully embrace the "Miami Vice" theme by adopting a flashy, bold color scheme of black as the primary color, and heavy accent uses of cyan and magenta to play off of it. The result are word marks that are reminiscent of neon and are art-deco like. The word marks on the uniforms have an underline for a bit of an added flair.

The road uniform has a slightly darker shade of grey so the cyan accents can really pop off of it. The cyan alternate will be worn exclusively at home. Another possible alternate look at home is the wearing of magenta undershirts and socks with the regular white uniform--complete with a matching cap (felt like magenta jerseys are a bit much for a sport like baseball). The uniform that will surely garner the most attention are the black alternates. They feature word marks across the front of the uniform that are black on the black base of the uniform with cyan and magenta accents to give them a "Miami nightlife" look by giving off a "neon-lighting" vibe.

Home:

11t8m0j.png

Away:

2d9xtly.png

Home alternate 1:

29bm1sh.png

Home alternate 2:

2cpwea8.png

Home alternate 3:

2z6yxx4.png

Away alternate:

2090rqw.png

32 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Use non-black lettering for the black jersey. It hasn't looked that good to me in the 2019 on field version.

Agreed on this point. White lettering would look great. 

On 4/8/2019 at 5:27 PM, csura999 said:

Thank you, @BellaSpurs! What if I told you that the Marlins WON'T be using teal?

Project: Nike/MLB 2020--Team 6/30: The Oakland Athletics.

rrkv4g.jpg

The Oakland Athletics under Nike officially go back to a lighter shade of green (complete with distinctive nickname ("Pacific Ocean Green")), and also bring back matching nicknames for yellow ("Fort Knox Gold") and white ("Polar Bear White").

Their uniforms now all have sleeve piping inspired by what they wore in the 1970's during their dominant run in the American League. The home whites have a yellow "A's" logo on the front, yellow numbers and name on back surrounded by a thick green outline (thick for legibility). The road greys have a slight green hue to them, and retain the "Oakland" word mark.

The yellow alternate now reads "Athletics" across the front. The green alternate can be worn both at home and also on the road. Their iconic green cap with a yellow squatchee and brim will be worn with every uniform.

Home:

qp2rnl.png

Away:

2gycema.png

Home alternate 1:

atn0p4.jpg

Home alternate 2:

vcuskg.png

Away alternate:

2dua6c0.png

"White elephant" would be a better name for white, given the team's history.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! At the end of the series, I will be going back and posting the edits that you guys have all suggested!

Project: Nike/MLB 2020--Team 8/30: The Kansas City Royals.

wuqk44.png

The Kansas City Royals get a vibrant refresh under Nike. Gold (a color of royalty) is added as a secondary color across all uniforms (excluding the home alternate--which is the road version of the 1985 Royals that will be worn at home as an alternate). The cap logo is an interlocking"KC" outlined in gold. The "KC" is their print logo, and not the actual cap logo that they use.

The home whites have the "Royals" word mark, name on back, and numbers outlined in gold to provide some flair and to set them apart from the Dodgers. The road uniforms are grey with a slight powder blue-tint as a nod to the road uniforms they wore throughout the 1970's and 1980's. I don't like white outlines on a road uniform, but in this case they're needed so the gold doesn't bleed in to the grey of the road jersey. The blue alternate can be worn both at home or on the road.

Home:

nx13rp.png

Away:

aynivq.png

Home alternate 1:

116usyf.png

Home alternate 2 (Yes, powder blue at home--didn't mind when Toronto did it a while back, and this way you get to wear powder blue at home):

c3mo4.png

Away alternate:

2u46k60.png

Thanks @nino21220! Appreciate it.

Project: Nike/MLB 2020--Team 9/30: The New York Mets.

eqcehh.png

The New York Mets uniforms remain essentially the same even with Nike taking over. They did an excellent job back in 2012 by dropping all traces of black from their uniform set--again looking as the Mets should: Strictly blue and orange.

I did further streamline the uniform set, however. I dropped the blue alternate that said "NEW YORK" across it and opted for the blue alternate that reads "Mets" across it to be worn both at home and on the road. The home pinstripes and the road jerseys remain the same as they currently do. They will also wear their standard all-blue cap with the orange squatchee with all of their uniforms--no need for the caps with the orange brims, anymore.

Home:

29kxflc.png

Away:

3306asx.png

Home alternate:

156fehv.png

Away alternate:

a3nhy0.png

Project: Nike/MLB 2020--Team 10/30: The Minnesota Twins.

o0ysz8.png

The Minnesota Twins go back to their (recent) roots under Nike. In recent years, their identity has become a very muddled mess. The addition of gold in to their color scheme and the red alternate at home doesn't do anything for me. So I got rid of both of those issues--to me, the Twins are a blue first, red second team.

They wear just one cap (as they should) with every uniform: Their classic all-navy cap with the "TC" mark on it. The home whites go back to what they had prior to 2015--a lot of people associate them with the Metrodome, but I feel like they made a seamless transition to natural lighting. To me, the Twins should always wear pinstripes at home. The "Minnesota" word mark on the road greys goes to red with a navy outline (a nod to their previous uniform set). The navy alternate can be worn both at home or on the road.

The alternates are their gorgeous cream throwbacks. I feel like these match the Kasota stone in Target Field better than shoehorning gold in to the uniforms, any day.

Home:

33y2lfn.png

Away:

2n1c9oy.png

Home alternate:

ezea7d.png

Home alternate 2:

119zebb.png

Away alternate:

11bho1s.png

(Missing the sleeve patches, I'll go back and fix those up.)

Nice job on these last few teams! Pretty straightforward look for the Mets & Twins. 

The only thing that would be weird to me is the Royals wearing their powder blue roads at home, but I love everything else about your KC set!

@coco1997 @Section30 Thanks, guys!

Project: Nike/MLB 2020--Team 11/30: The Pittsburgh Pirates.

34qtkix.png

The Pittsburgh Pirates' overall look remains a very traditional one. The biggest changes being the home and road uniforms returning to their vested look. Reminiscent of the uniforms Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente wore before they switched to the pullover and sansabelt uniforms in 1970. The sock stripes are inspired from their 1960 World Series team (look at how gorgeous that uniform is).

The alternates get a bit of a change as well. The two alternates are not vests. I feel like vest should have matching pants and jerseys. The yellow alternates are to be worn at home, and are paired with a yellow cap with a black brim and black squatchee (a nod to the 1970's teams). Their current black alternates needlessly feature white on the jerseys and cap logo, so I streamlined them by dropping white on them. This lets the yellow accents pop more. The number font goes back to a traditional block, as well.

Some more modifications: The first "P" and the rest of "PIRATES" word mark are all the same uniform size (instead of the first "P" being bigger than the rest of the characters), and the "PITTSBURGH" word mark gets thickened up for better legibility.

Home:

2911b0j.png

Away:

2hy8902.png

Home alternate:

v6j22t.png

Home alternate 2:

wkmh5u.png

Away alternate:

21mtd0o.png

I can't think of a single criticism of any of these that isn't just a personal preference.

The only thing I'd change is the pictures you use for your backgrounds.  Unless you're New York or Chicago, no one really knows what your skyline looks like, save for maybe a signature building.  Unless there's an iconic view of that city's skyline (Pittsburgh from PNC Park, Phily from the museum steps, etc.) I would use landmarks or landscapes (i.e. what you did for Arizona) for that reason.

Archived