Jump to content

NHL City Heritage Alternates (Washington up 6/23)


NoE38_Concepts
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, NoE38 said:

The Rangers jersey is actually not modeled after either of those teams, but a more obscure one.

 

Next up are the New York Rangers, inspired by the old Manhattan Arrows. I decided to model after the arrows since MSG is located in Manhattan. The logo is the team's initials, in an arch, similar to the M on the Arrows' jerseys.

Je9QiIN.png

Thoughts? C&C is appreciated!

I can't seem to find the jersey this concept is based on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2020 at 9:45 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I can't seem to find the jersey this concept is based on.

This is really the only image I could find. The jerseys with an "M" are the Arrows. I tried my best to translate that onto the Adidas template.

 

Next up are the Ottawa Senators, in the style of the Ottawa Commandos. They were Ottawa's highest-tier hockey team after the Original Sens left, so I paid tribute to that here. The jersey is like a mix between their current alternates and the 67's.

xiXmlWe.png

Thoughts? C&C is appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Sens up 4/10)
1 hour ago, NoE38 said:

This is really the only image I could find. The jerseys with an "M" are the Arrows. I tried my best to translate that onto the Adidas template.

 

Next up are the Ottawa Senators, in the style of the Ottawa Commandos. They were Ottawa's highest-tier hockey team after the Original Sens left, so I paid tribute to that here. The jersey is like a mix between their current alternates and the 67's.

MrzcKdf.png

Thoughts? C&C is appreciated!

I like the inspiration for the jerseys that not many casual fans would know about. I think for Ottawa the look would be elevated if the logo was altered to be a hybrid of the Commandos shield and the Senators O. (The shield already looks like it’s getting close to an O with whatever is meant to be in the middle, that’s where my thought comes from)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 3:13 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I like the inspiration for the jerseys that not many casual fans would know about. I think for Ottawa the look would be elevated if the logo was altered to be a hybrid of the Commandos shield and the Senators O. (The shield already looks like it’s getting close to an O with whatever is meant to be in the middle, that’s where my thought comes from)

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to this, but I thought that was a cool idea, so I tried out. The OP has been updated with that new logo.

 

Next up in the series are the Philadelphia Flyers! I decided to base this off of the jerseys of the Short-lived Philadelphia Quakers. The entire jersey is two-tone, and the striping pattern is taken from the "wings" (whatever you call them) of the Flyers logo.

V9ZEqUd.png

 

Thoughts? C&C on any design is appreciated!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Flyers up 4/30)

If there's nothing on Philly, let's move across the state to Pittsburgh. Similar to the Flyers, this concept is based off of an earlier NHL team in the city, the Pittsburgh Pirates. Again like the Flyers, the entire jersey is two-tone, and the striping is taken from the various jerseys the Pirates wore in their short history, and a hanger effect is used, inspired by the Pirates' diagonal striping jersey.

gL8qnth.png

Thoughts? C&C is appreciated!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Penguins up 5/2)

Think that Ottawa update added something to the look that might give a deeper nod to the inspiration. I like it! 
 

I think the Flyers look good, but what made the Quakers look stand out so much for me was their script. If that was added but with “Flyers” I think it look pretty cool. I’d also space out the stripes a little bit more to better give that Quakers feel.

 

I think you hit the look you were going for here with the combo of Pirates jerseys. The best choice was definitely putting their wildest jersey on the collar. Only thing that bugs me is the inconsistency between chest stripe and the rest of the streps, but changing that would be going against the point of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 8:21 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I think the Flyers look good, but what made the Quakers look stand out so much for me was their script. If that was added but with “Flyers” I think it look pretty cool. I’d also space out the stripes a little bit more to better give that Quakers feel.

I made those changes, and I agree, they make the jersey look better. the Original post has been updated.

 

The next heritage alternate is probably the most "out there" of any concept in this series, it's the San Jose Sharks in the style of the RHI's San Jose Rhinos. I took the jagged stripes of the Rhino jerseys, and made that into a shark-tooth pattern. The pattern is used twice on the arms, and once on the hem.

Xgp7LPO.png

 

Any C&C is welcome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Sharks up 6/1)

I love the Rhinos! I some how have a vintage hat from the team. I like the intent, but It is coming off more like crazy 90s pattern than shark teeth... which would make sense. I would flip the white and teal just so it actually looks more like teeth. Roller might not be very appropriate given the deep history of hockey in the Bay Area, you don't have to stick to San Jose. I think the San Francisco Seals from way back would be fun with their white jerseys that has "SEALS" arched over their logo. If you're feeling ambitious you could even make a shark version of their seal logo, but it might be a little difficult. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

That's gotta be the coolest Sharks concept I've ever seen. I think it would look great in real life too, but they'd have to make the stripping not as tall on the sleeves.

 

Heck yeah! I'm loving this series. The Oilers one is definitely cool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2020 at 8:44 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I love the Rhinos! I some how have a vintage hat from the team. I like the intent, but It is coming off more like crazy 90s pattern than shark teeth... which would make sense. I would flip the white and teal just so it actually looks more like teeth. Roller might not be very appropriate given the deep history of hockey in the Bay Area, you don't have to stick to San Jose. I think the San Francisco Seals from way back would be fun with their white jerseys that has "SEALS" arched over their logo. If you're feeling ambitious you could even make a shark version of their seal logo, but it might be a little difficult. 

The reason I went with the Rhinos was because the goal of the series was to pay tribute to defunct teams in the specific cities NHL teams play in. Once I'm finished posting all the jerseys, I'll give a Seals tribute a shot, That would be a cool look.

 

Here's a version of the jersey with white and teal switched, and while I think the original looked cleaner, the shark teeth motif is definitely clearer here. (I couldn't find the full-size version of the original concept, so this is a little pixelated and compressed)

tfSc701.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Sharks Update up 6/5)

Yes, I can get behind that for sure! Now it looks like a crowd tribute. It’s like the sharks are on a power play! (I swear some sharks fans come just to do the jaw arms thing that the crowd loves)
 

I totally understand the goal, and I like it. Just thought the tribute to a roller team while every other team in the league has ice hockey history in their city would expose the sharks to some less than nice treatment from traditional “hockey should be in cold places” snobs in real life. I do love the purple/athletic gold Rhinos though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next team up in the series is the St. Louis Blues, based on another RHI team, the St. Louis Vipers. Layout-wise, the jerseys feature diagonal striping, with a triangle yoke. For this alternate, I changed the triangle yoke into a Gateway Arch-shaped yoke, and made the striping follow the arch shape.

fAnccLL.png

Thoughts? Any C&C is welcome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Blues up 6/6)

If there's nothing, I'll continue on to yet another RHI-inspired alternate. This Lightning set takes inspiration from the short-lived Tampa Bay Tritons. Their jerseys features a mix of diagonal and straight striping. For this jersey, I continued along with the 90s aesthetic and added some lightning-bolt cues to the striping.

2jDZRdV.png

Thoughts? Any C&C is welcome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Lightning up 6/7)

If there's still nothing, Here's the next alternate, for the Leafs. This set is inspired by the rich history of hockey in the city. The overall layout takes inspiration from the old Toronto St. Michael's Majors/ The logo comes from the Toronto Arenas, and the actual striping is taken from the '67 Stanley Cup set.

tPlIq0u.png

Thoughts? C&C is appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Leafs up 6/9)
  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Canucks up 6/11)

The Lightning one is pretty cool, though I might ditch the outermost blue stripes just to open up the space a tad.

The Sharks one is perfect, minus the teal block on the shorts.

Chicago and Ottawa are awesome.

 

For St Louis, it's a decent Blues jersey, but the Arch (being upside-down) doesn't come through and it retains almost nothing from the Vipers' look. I'd suggest combining the Vipers jersey with the blue-red-yellow and sheet music striping of the '90s Blues jersey.

 

The white outlines on Vancouver's stripes kinda mess with the vintage Millionaires vibe. The only idea I have is to just go cream & blue but that's kinda awkward too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

Overall, a pretty cool series! In your place, I'd be more eager to force the designs into fauxback territory rather than just alts, but your approach is much more cohesive as a part of these teams' brands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2020 at 12:16 AM, vtgco said:

The Lightning one is pretty cool, though I might ditch the outermost blue stripes just to open up the space a tad.

The Sharks one is perfect, minus the teal block on the shorts.

Chicago and Ottawa are awesome.

 

For St Louis, it's a decent Blues jersey, but the Arch (being upside-down) doesn't come through and it retains almost nothing from the Vipers' look. I'd suggest combining the Vipers jersey with the blue-red-yellow and sheet music striping of the '90s Blues jersey.

 

The white outlines on Vancouver's stripes kinda mess with the vintage Millionaires vibe. The only idea I have is to just go cream & blue but that's kinda awkward too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

Overall, a pretty cool series! In your place, I'd be more eager to force the designs into fauxback territory rather than just alts, but your approach is much more cohesive as a part of these teams' brands.

Thanks for all the feedback! St. Louis was definitely a tough one, looking back at it now, I would definitely go with a more 90s route since it's from the same decade as the Vipers. I might try that out once this is all done. As for the Canucks, I actually did three different versions for it: The one I posted, one with the Spaghetti Skate colours, and another mixing the two schemes. The current colours looked the best of the three. I avoided using two different colours as that would just be a recolor of the Millionaires jerseys.

 

Up next are the league's newest team, the Golden Knights. This one is based off the last jerseys worn by the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL, with a sleeve-length yoke. I added some V-striping in the yoke, and side panels (which I don't remember why I used, since the Wranglers never wore a full-time jersey with them). Oh well.

sDZ7BRD.png

Thoughts? Any C&C is appreciated.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • NoE38_Concepts changed the title to NHL City Heritage Alternates (Washington up 6/23)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.