A slight tweak to the Brewers’ caps

Gothamite

(Bear with me, there is a concept here) 😛 

I’ve been speculating that, since the Brewers have been ramping up their use of the navy/athletic gold Ball in Glove logo, they might be testing the waters for a change in 2020 or beyond.

Now, that itself is not really a subject for this particular board, but it spawned something that I think it is.

As much as I could get behind the BiG back to stay, I don’t like the blah navy color.  It’s dark and drab, especially under the very heavy Miller Park roof.

I’d like to see the Brewers adopt a slightly tweaked version of the darker cap, with a dark royal that’s brighter than navy but darker than the light navy of the throwbacks.  Click to embiggen:

D1fIaqtWwAAA-VF?format=jpg&name=large

Here it is in context, with the current alternate caps:

D1fLOrBWkAAsxHt?format=jpg&name=large

The color is inspired by the first Brewers’ color scheme, used from 1970 through 77.  Thanks to @TruColor for the details:

D1fIMMfX0AAgk_G?format=png&name=small

Check out this game-worn Hank Aaron cap:

D1fIDFWWkAA6psJ?format=jpg&name=large

That’s what I’m thinking about.  Dark enough that they can still sell navy merchandise.  Dark enough to stand separate from the throwback gear, so the Brewers can still sell all the throwback merch they want.  But still bolder, more vibrant, more blue than the boring navy. 

So whaddya think?

"Dark enough that they can still sell navy merchandise.  Dark enough to stand separate from the throwback gear, so the Brewers can still sell all the throwback merch they want.  But still bolder, more vibrant, more blue than the boring navy."

This is from me knowing what New Era has availability wise for cap fabrics so what you're proposing is using Dark Royal which is essentially Dodger Blue for reference (Dark Royal is what Dodgers and Rangers use for their cap colors).

With that, the Dark Royal wouldn't really match with the current Light Navy merchandise. Might not seem like a big diff based off the pantone swatches you posted but go look at a Dodgers hat in person and it'll be a lot more evident that it's def not close enough to match with Light Navy.

So in short my point is for this concept, it'd ideally would just have the Brewers hypothetically making a full switch to Dark Royal across the board (not just for the caps) and rolling out new matching merchandise/uniforms since pairing this hypothetical Dark Royal with the current Light Navy wouldn't go together.

Archived