New team = New Original Color Scheme

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

You know, I hadn't really noticed that (the later-year Vancouver Grizzlies were sort of forgettable) but it turns out you're right (for those later years):

spacer.png

lopez-lead.jpg?itok=5qhLZUaD&w=1000&q=70

Appears they dropped all aspects of "bronze" from the unis and replaced it with black. THAT is what transitioned to Memphis.

In the early days, the away unis were turquoise, and still had  a good amount of bronze:

spacer.png spacer.png

Ah, nice. I didn't realize the OG Grizzlies had so little black or so much bronze.

IIRC, at some point prior to the switch to the double blue, they called the reddish color in their scheme "salmon", which is clever given that grizzlies eat salmon IRL, but I don't recall it looking all that pink. The teal-black-"salmon" scheme was still pretty good, but it would've been better had they worn teal even occasionally.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Not really, no. I’m kind of under the impression that the people who want to bring the Expos back would like the old identity restored without any modification. I’m fine with the colors (French flag colors, which I believe is important for a French Canadian team - the target audience after the Francophones alienated the Anglophones), but I really don’t want one of the ugliest logos in Big Four history brought back.

If the Expos ever come back, they must return to pinwheel hats with white fronts, light blue road uniforms, and racing stripes. These are nonnegotiable. ;)

7 hours ago, B-Rich said:

You know, I hadn't really noticed that (the later-year Vancouver Grizzlies were sort of forgettable) but it turns out you're right (for those later years):

spacer.png

lopez-lead.jpg?itok=5qhLZUaD&w=1000&q=70

Appears they dropped all aspects of "bronze" from the unis and replaced it with black. THAT is what transitioned to Memphis.

In the early days, the away unis were turquoise, and still had  a good amount of bronze:

spacer.png spacer.png

I love those collar stripes. 

WOW  WOW  WOW  WOW! 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 3/15/2019 at 12:00 PM, B-Rich said:

NBA:

2008 - Oklahoma City Thunder -- Two tones of blue, orange and yellow - Original to NBA and major league sports (though sort of close to NHL Atlanta Thrashers)

2004 - Charlotte Bobcats -- Orange, two tones of blue, gray - Original to NBA and major league sports.

1995 - Vancouver Grizzlies - Turquoise, bronze, red - Original to NBA and major league sports.

1995 - Toronto Raptors - Purple, Red, Black, & Silver - Original to NBA and major league sports

1989 - Orlando Magic - Blue, Black and Silver - Original to NBA and major league sports (at the time, same color scheme was essentially taken up by Tamp Bay Lightning a few years later).

1989 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Blue, Green and Silver - Original to NBA (Seattle Seahawks had same color scheme in NFL at the time).

1988 - Miami Heat - Black, Red, Orange, Yellow - Original to NBA  

1988 - Charlotte Hornets - Teal, Purple (and a few other trace colors) - Original to NBA and major league sports.

1980 - Dallas Mavericks - Green and Blue - Original to NBA. 

1978 - San Diego Clippers - Sky blue and burnt orange - Original to NBA and major league sports.

1974 - New Orleans Jazz - Purple, Gold and Green - Original to NBA.

To continue the NBA expansion teams -

1976 - Denver Nuggets - Blue, Red, Gold, White (same as 1949-50 Denver Nuggets and 1970-71 Buffalo Braves)

1976 - Indiana Pagers - Royal Blue, Yellow and White (used by 1946-47 Philadelphia Warriors, 1950-51 Baltimore Bullets used Blue, Gold and White)

1976 - Red, Blue and White (used by many teams)

1976 - San Antonio Spurs - Black, Silver and White

1970 - Buffalo Braves - Red, Royal Blue, Gold and White (same as 1949-50 Denver Nuggets)

1970 - Cleveland Cavaliers - Wine, Gold and White

1970 - Portland Trail Blazers - Scarlet Red, Black and White (same as 1966-67 Chicago Bulls and 1946-47 Providence Steamrollers)

1968 - Milwaukee Bucks - Forest Green, Red and White

1968 - Phoenix Suns - Purple, Orange and White
1967 - San Diego Rockets - Green, Gold and White (same as 1967-68 Seattle SuperSonics)
1967 - Seattle SuperSonics - Green, Gold and White (same as 1967-68 San Diego Rockets)

1966 - Chicago Bulls - Red, Black and White (same as 1946-47 Providence Steamrollers)
1961 - Chicago Packers - Navy Blue, Gold and White (1946-47 Philadelphia Warriors used Blue, Yellow and White)

On 3/17/2019 at 7:38 PM, daveindc said:

Here's what I would love to see for future and potential expansion teams:

NHL:

Seattle: Unique shade of blue, maybe like the old Seahawks' steel blue, and lime green. Either that, or navy and lime green.

MLB:

Portland: Red and black, or red and green.

Vegas: Dark gray and gold. Maybe with black trim. Similar to the Golden Knights.

Charlotte: Carolina blue and black or dark gray.

Montreal: Will most likely be another blue and red scheme, which would be brutal.

Lime green in the NHL would be pretty cool.

Archived