USF Academic Logo: Bull Brouhaha

hettinger_rl

1 hour ago, hettinger_rl said:

The horned U is still there, as it was the athletics logo.  The one this one replaced is on the left below.

university_south_florida_logo_before_aft

As someone who spent 2 years at South Florida as a student before transferring to a smaller school for graduation, I think the new academic logo sucks for our brand.  I dont understand why they couldnt incorporate the athletics iconic horned U as the brand for the entire university, much like other schools have done as well.

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Ah yes, I noticed that on the boards while watching Caps at Lightning the other day.  Thought it looked new.  I like it *shrug*

The one on the boards at the arena is better, its not green and neon yellow.  It looks recolored to the normal green and gold.

I totally get the idea, but I think athletic logos and academia logos should be separate. 

The new academic logo isn't great. It looks like a secondary logo for the team, not a logo for the academics.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

I just saw a Nike Volt version of Merrill Lynch. 

The new logo is much more crisp and clean, but doesn't look collegiate. Bring back the old Horn-U. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

17 hours ago, pianoknight said:

I just saw a Nike Volt version of Merrill Lynch. 

The new logo is much more crisp and clean, but doesn't look collegiate. Bring back the old Horn-U. 

They still have the horned “U”, that’s their athletic logo, this new logo is their academic logo.

I'd rather they figure out an "academic" version of the horned U than just port over the athletic logo full stop.

That bull does make USF look more like a financial company than a university, though.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the perfect example that the average person is a moron with no design sense. That old academic logo was terrible, the new one is dynamic, strong and exudes the message a university should want to convey with it's logo. The university shouldn't have given in the first time because once you do that you'll have to do it again and they will have wasted the effort and money spent on the new logo.

There are fair complaints to make:

The updated new logo is better than the original

The colors are bad, and should be forest green and gold

The athletics horned U should be the academic logo

Calling for the old academic logo to be reinstalled is not amongst reasonable complaints.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

• 4 weeks later...

Bolded by me.

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=8944&z=23

Dear USF community:

Last Fall we introduced a new academic logo for the University of South Florida that we believed was a positive representation of our pride and optimism. This new logo featured the image of a bull and was meant to help usher in a new era for USF and to celebrate the incredible momentum we have built over the past 63 years.

As you know, there has been a great deal of controversy over the bull image and the new color palette. We heard this from many of you over the past six months through email, on social media and in person. We know that the feedback comes from a place of great pride and passion for USF, and we have listened. As a result, we have decided to stop using the new bull logo. Instead, we will adopt the “Iconic Bull U,” which has been used by USF Athletics for almost 15 years, to represent the entire university. We will also return to the traditional green-and-gold color palette of the university. Implementation of the changes will begin immediately and continue throughout the summer.

Think of what we have accomplished under the Bull U, the students we have attracted, the faculty we have attracted. We became preeminent and were awarded for our performance. We raised more than $1 billion. We created an ever-improving culture of student success and academic achievement. We are building one of the most significant projects in the university’s history, the new USF Health Morsani College of Medicine and Heart Institute in downtown Tampa, and the story continues.

We wouldn’t be Bulls if we didn’t take risks. That’s part of our nature; to push boundaries; to venture in new directions; to try new things. Even if we have to turn back, we grow and we learn.

And we have learned.

The new “A Future Without Limits” marketing initiative will continue with the “Bull U” logo. It is already paying dividends. Since we launched the effort this Spring, the USF story has been featured in print and digital media throughout the nation and around the world. More than 25 million people have seen our ads. They are taking notice and asking to learn more about USF.

Thank you for your passion for USF. As our most ardent supporters, you play a huge role in advocating for our continued success. We hope we can continue to count on that support through this transition and into the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for all you do on behalf of our great university.

GO BULLS!

Joe Hice
Vice President Communications and Marketing

I hate this. I love sports, but the encroachment of sports into academics is stupid, and can pose some serious problems to the university as a whole. Universities are so much more than sports, and schools should have logos designed to represent that they are in fact academic institutions, not just sports academies. 

This stance has nothing to do with design, I personally wasn't a huge fan of the redesign, but I think going with it in green and gold would've been fine.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I like the volt logo for academic usage. The horned U is still being used for athletics. If I were the school I would just ignore the crybabies. Admissions isn't going to suffer as a result of a logo that appears on an acceptance letter 

Archived