• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Program... movie from the 90's;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was supposed to be a college team, but IMO the details looked more like a 90's pro team.

Resembles a Boston College/Florida State hybrid

1 minute ago, poser said:

What about a fictional team that became a real team?

Screen-Shot-2014-02-16-at-10.34.21-PM-30

0227_oag-isotopes-baseball-e145651983287

If the Isotopes would stop using that goofy ass script, they'd have the foundation for a pretty solid identity. Almost like an alternate universe Astros. 

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Can I ask why?  That seems like a strong reaction for a pretty basic piece of hollywood product.

The characters are crudely drawn caricatures and the ending is so corny. It's a baseball movie for non-baseball fans, and I feel like it insults the viewer's intelligence.

But the aesthetics of the movie are fantastic. The Knights look great, and War Memorial Stadium seems to perfectly capture the dinginess of ballparks from that era.

I don't know if he's taking requests, but I'd love to see @SFGiants58 do a take on the Knights in his stunningly fantastic Defunct thread.

5 hours ago, msubulldog said:

Resembles a Boston College/Florida State hybrid

From what I've heard over the years, Florida State was supposed to be the main team in The Program. FSU allegedly wasn't willing to give the movie permission to use it's name and thus the ESU Wolves were born.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Delaware Demons from H.E. Double Hockey Sticks

stix3.jpg

There is another team called the Annapolis Angels, but can't find a good shot of their jersey/logo.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

The characters are crudely drawn caricatures and the ending is so corny. It's a baseball movie for non-baseball fans, and I feel like it insults the viewer's intelligence.

That’s the whole point. It’s American mythology, a loose interpretation of Arthurian tales told through a more modern set of Knights. Hobbs is Percival in his quest to heal the Waste Land of Knight’s Field, with its barren grass and equally barren grandstand. Pop Fisher is aptly named as the Fisher King, whose ailments are tied to the sickness in his kingdom. 

Now, I understand that not being your thing, but it is what it is. Far from insulting your intelligence, the allegory rewards it.

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s the whole point. It’s American mythology, a loose interpretation of Arthurian tales told through a more modern set of Knights. Hobbs is Percival in his quest to heal the Waste Land of Knight’s Field, with its barren grass and equally barren grandstand. Pop Fisher is aptly named as the Fisher King, whose ailments are tied to the sickness in his kingdom. 

Now, I understand that not being your thing, but it is what it is. Far from insulting your intelligence, the allegory rewards it.

The problem (among many) is that the characters are simply too on-the-nose. And it’s hard to take the mythology seriously when the ending is completely different than the book. 

To each their own. 

1 minute ago, BJ Sands said:

The problem (among many) is that the characters are simply too on-the-nose. And it’s hard to take the mythology seriously when the ending is completely different than the book. 

To each their own. 

The book and movie had different goals, different audiences.  Some of the best adaptations ever threw away or ignored major components of their source material.  In this case, I think it’s a thematic improvement over the original.

But yes, to each their own.  No worries there.  😁

This Lotto commercial has so much detail in it.

First, We see that the New York team is playing a red and (probably) navy team.spacer.png

There are a few fans wearing red caps in the crowd, too. It might be a white "B" with a blue outline. Boston, perhaps.

spacer.png

And what do we see in this same frame?!

1000w

Could it be a pigeon?

We also see at least 7 different type of caps and 6 jerseys, t-shirts, jackets, even a puffy vest in the way back. Other folks are wearing team colors, like the yellow jacket behind the main character and the beanie to his right, but I can't see logos on those.

spacer.png

Finally, in a later frame we see a banner above the main character's right shoulder. The script below the arched NEW YORK wordmark is hard to read, but the first letter sure looks like a script P, and it's the right length roughly to read "Pigeons".

spacer.png

All in all, this is an incredibly detailed production for a 30-second spot. A mascot costume, lots of different hats, jerseys, apparel, a banner, away team hats. 

10 minutes ago, Sabres7200 said:

First, We see that the New York team is playing a red and (probably) navy team.spacer.png

There are a few fans wearing red caps in the crowd, too. It might be a white "B" with a blue outline. Boston, perhaps.

spacer.png

And what do we see in this same frame?!

1000w

Could it be a pigeon?

We also see at least 7 different type of caps and 6 jerseys, t-shirts, jackets, even a puffy vest in the way back. Other folks are wearing team colors, like the yellow jacket behind the main character and the beanie to his right, but I can't see logos on those.

spacer.png

Finally, in a later frame we see a banner above the main character's right shoulder. The script below the arched NEW YORK wordmark is hard to read, but the first letter sure looks like a script P, and it's the right length roughly to read "Pigeons".

spacer.png

All in all, this is an incredibly detailed production for a 30-second spot. A mascot costume, lots of different hats, jerseys, apparel, a banner, away team hats. 

I called up the ad agency responsible for this commercial, McCann. I wanted to let them know how good their work on this is.

Also, I am hoping to have a conversation wish someone on the creative team. The person who answered the phone transferred me to someone supposedly on this account; and I left a message. If I am successful in talking to somebody, I will write it up for here.

And you know I'm going to ask whether they meant the team to be called the Canaries!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Oh, man, I'd love to hear the follow up on this. I'm interested in why they chose to go so detailed. Yeah, it makes it more "real" but all these different hats, jerseys, apparel, and extras have got to add up when it comes to the budget.

25 minutes ago, Sabres7200 said:

spacer.png

Is it just me, or would that 'New York' Script look awesome for the Knicks? It really reminds me of a better-done version of their current logo wordmark.

spacer.png

Archived