@jaytavo305 thank you for your kind words! English is not my native language so there are some words/contexts I just dont understand; just had to ask! 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Great series so far!  Clean visuals, some bold creative choices, and entertaining concise explanations.  As a Houston native, I love the Statement uniform.  I'm always 100% on board with Houston teams doubling down on the NASA/space branding. With the Astros sunset gradient, it just screams Houston.  

A while back I made Milwaukee Bucks halloween edition and I thought it would be fun to continue with that holiday theme, as Christmas is just around the corner. This concept is exactly the same as the halloween edition I made - "Cream City" city edition from '17 with bucks red, green and cream and some white. The phrase above the jock tag says "Merry Christmas" and I made the Bucks basketball match with slight colours of red and green.
For the buck head I used some cream to tone down the white contrasts. I considered adding christmas balls to the antlers but couldnt really make them fit the whole - might revisit that idea again soon. 
I tried to add some snowfall effect as well to really drive it home - dont know if I am content with how that turned out but its at least something lol. I hope it is a fitting concept for this time of year. I really wish Nike would at least release christmas editions, just like Adidas did - I thought they were fun and pretty cool. Hope you guys like it!

All comments and criticsms are greatly appreciated! And merry christmas when the time comes!

Milwaukee Bucks Christmas Edition Uniform Concept

m47jDQ8.png

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Milwaukee Bucks Christmas Edition Concept

This Bucks fan thinks you pretty much nailed this one.  I have no feedback other than to sit back and have your work admired.

SN: Ironic that the Bucks moved away from their "Christmas" colors almost as soon as the NBA established their Christmas slate of games as an annual tradition.

@Blindsay got me thinking and I thought I might at least try out to create christmas edition for some of the teams playing on the 25th. The two teams I've "finished" is the Toronto Raptors and Boston Celtics. They are the first teams to play and as a Celtics fan it was only natural for me to tackle these two first. I highly doubt I will finish the Lakers and Clippers, and the Sixers if I am lucky, before the match begins, but I'll certainly try. 

My main focus was to keep it as simple and fun as possible. These concepts are by no means thoroughly sketched out, I just "went with it". They aren't pretty or classic by any means - just fun and easy distinguishable. 

As the Toronto Raptors already use red, white and gold from before, I wanted to harness these colours and make it as Santa Claus-esque as I could. I added candy cane side panels - a bit unsure if I prefer the uniform without them or not, but as with ugly christmas sweaters I think it kinda works for christmas. I originally added the candy cane pattern for the shorts as well, however it was a bit too much so I've only kept the jersey side panels. The jock tag text says "We the North Pole" which is extremely tacky but it gave me a laugh. 
The typeface is very much christmas inspired as are the numerals as well. I dabbled with adding snow crystals but couldnt really nail it down. 
I was a bit unsure if I should use a snow crystal or the Maple Leaf on the waistband, so I went with the conservative choice of the Maple Leaf. 

Toronto Raptors Christmas Edition Uniform Concept

yj1Wohh.png

For the Boston Celtics I wanted to go with Dr Seuss the Grinch (Celtics green just added up with the Grinch in my mind). I added Maine Red Claws red. Originally I used Celtics typeface however BOSTON just looked superior to me. This is a really, really simple rendition as it is the standard icon only with red trim. I think this christmas edition is my personal favourite thus far. I added a quote from the Grinch above the jock tag, which says: "Maybe Christmas, the Grinch thought, doesn't come from a store" which is sentimental and very much true and cool. I wanted to add the whole, complete rhyme but it would've been way too big and I feel I am very much pushing the boundary with a text that takes up so much space. The numerals is also Grinch-ish and the whole uniform gives off this cartoonish, light and fun tone which I very much enjoy. 

Boston Celtics Christmas Edition Uniform Concept

7KYFGpL.png

All comments and criticsms are greatly appreciated! Merry christmas!

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Toronto Raptors & Boston Celtics Christmas Edition Concepts

For the Philadelphia 76ers I reduced the colours to the most christmas-y I could. I removed the blue and focused instead on parchment hue they use for the city edition. I am slighty concerned that it makes the uniform looks off-white, which was not really my intention. Now, I really liked the classic edition they revealed back in august which predominantly uses a “Seventy Sixers” wordmark design, so I tried to copy(horrible attempt) it with a christmas inspired font. 
One of the most recognizable features of the Sixers uniform are the 13 stars, symbolizing the original british 13 colonies - I turned them into snow crystals, and I removed the piping to keep it as simple as possible. And for the waistband logo I used a christmas bell.
I really wanted to include green and I did experiment with it, however it didnt not look like the Sixers at all so I kept the concept to red, white and parchment. The numerals in use are exactly the same as on the Raptors.
Now, the jock tag text was kinda hard to nail down. I really wanted something Philadelphia-inspired but I couldnt really find any short sayings from famous persons from Philly. So I did the Brotherly Love and replaced Brotherly with Christmas. All in all, a simpe christmas edition, and hopefully fun!

I was aiming to finish Clippers and Lakers, and I still might, but for now I have set my sight on continuing creating concept sets for the remaining NBA teams left. Maybe I'll finish them in time for next christmas. 

Philadelphia 76ers Christmas Edition Uniform Concept

9Fn8ult.png

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Philadelphia 76ers Christmas Edition Concepts
24 minutes ago, Tore said:

For the Philadelphia 76ers I reduced the colours to the most christmas-y I could. I removed the blue and focused instead on parchment hue they use for the city edition. I am slighty concerned that it makes the uniform looks off-white, which was not really my intention. Now, I really liked the classic edition they revealed back in august which predominantly uses a “Seventy Sixers” wordmark design, so I tried to copy(horrible attempt) it with a christmas inspired font. 
One of the most recognizable features of the Sixers uniform are the 13 stars, symbolizing the original british 13 colonies - I turned them into snow crystals, and I removed the piping to keep it as simple as possible. And for the waistband logo I used a christmas bell.
I really wanted to include green and I did experiment with it, however it didnt not look like the Sixers at all so I kept the concept to red, white and parchment. The numerals in use are exactly the same as on the Raptors.
Now, the jock tag text was kinda hard to nail down. I really wanted something Philadelphia-inspired but I couldnt really find any short sayings from famous persons from Philly. So I did the Brotherly Love and replaced Brotherly with Christmas. All in all, a simpe christmas edition, and hopefully fun!

I was aiming to finish Clippers and Lakers, and I still might, but for now I have set my sight on continuing creating concept sets for the remaining NBA teams left. Maybe I'll finish them in time for next christmas. 

Philadelphia 76ers Christmas Edition Uniform Concept

FnvapC6.png

I would add a slight arch to the Seventy Sixers wordmark and enlarge the jersey numbers on all of these since they are pretty thin. that would make them easier to read on TV and they won't look as huge as Oregon's numbers do. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

@MJWalker45

Thank you so much for your comment! I have added a very slight arch on the wordmark and I've increased the front numeral by 14,29% and the back numeral by 13,33%. I always have issues with the sizing of the numerals - I always go too small for some reason. Thank you again for your suggestions - looks way better!

Philadelphia 76ers Christmas Edition Uniform Concept edited

S4LDtvy.png

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Philadelphia 76ers Christmas Edition Concept *Updated*
  • 5 weeks later...

First things first, instead of updating the template as I usually do, I have made a new one. The template, as always, is taking inspiration from Hoopladawg. I will never ever be able to recreate his insanely detailed template or possess his ingenuity or creativity. If you havent checked out his concepts then exit mine concepts immediately and look(!) They are simply gorgeous. If you have looked at his and are back then lets get going.

If you've been following my posts, you are well aware that I have issues with the current colour saturation of the NBA and that I have some issues with some team names. Recently I renamed the Washington Wizards into Washington Senators as I felt it was more appropriate. I have once again reached a team with a team name that should change. It gnawed at me untill I had no choice but to change it. I will keep my reasoning very brief as I border to being very pretentious sometimes, for which I am sorry(!)

The Memphis Grizzlies started out in Vancouver and the team name Grizzlies was spot on - the uniforms were amazing, however the team was not. Eventually the team was moved but the Grizzlies name remained - a mistake if you ask me. It is not my intention to offend any Memphis Grizzlies fans. 
There are some teams names which doesnt make sense but the name has become an institution, like the Lakers, Jazz. Some are descriptive of heritage, like the Celtics or Knicks. The team name doesnt have to fit at all to be honest, though there are some which really makes me scratch my head. 
Oklahoma City Thunder did not keep the Supersonics name, which was a good thing! Memphis Grizzlies are by definition one of the youngest franschises in the NBA, even if you include the time in Vancouver - no championship; not the most established team by any means, and this makes them very much "renamable" to me.

It very much annoys me that there are no grizzly bears in Memphis; I've been googling for quite a while and I can confirm that there is one kind of bear in Memphis, the "ursus americanus", otherwise known as black bear. I did consider renaming the Grizzlies into Black Bears but it just didnt have the pop I wished for.
I ended up considering Memphis Blues, which is an awesome name, as the city is the home of blues music but St Louis Blues in the NHL put a quick stop to that. Memphis is also known for being the birthplace of rock n roll and there are some very famous individuals with relations to the city. I began researching the history of Memphis and googled just about everything then I came across this article by ESPN. The billboard for Memphis made it obvious to me that Kings would be the perfect team name for this franchise. Elvis Presley, BB King and MLK, all are kings - it made so much sense and it also sounds great. 
(This does not mean I wont make Sacramento Kings or Memphis Grizzlies concepts - I will rename Sacramento too, then one day I will go with the original names.) 

The concept is at it's core very basic. I kept Memphis Midnight and Beale Street Blue but I removed Grizzlies Gold from association, icon and statement. I did some slight editing on the side piping and also took the liberty of trying to make a logo for the newly named Memphis Kings - a crown with the letter M(I do not possess the capabilities to make a decent logo nor to fit it into the basketball roundel so some imagining is required). The old workmark is updated. The association and icon are basically just recoloured editions. The side piping continues into the right shoulder trim to add some slight asymmetry. 
For the statement edition I took inspiration from Hoopladawgs "memphis music" concept, with some slight tweaks. The sign is iconic and one could argue it would be better fitted for a city edition - I feel that it works as a statement edition as it's an eye opener; no one can mistake it for any other teams statement with it's bright, neon-ish wordmark and white with coloured contrast numerals, or so I would like to think(!) As mentioned earlier, I would've liked the logo to be a roundel, so imagine the crown logos on the short sides as roundel. 
I was going to add a MLK uniform and a city uniform based on Elvis Presley but I havent have time to complete these concepts yet. Anyways, hope you guys like them. All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated! 

Memphis Kings Association Edition Uniform Concept 

zb7hR1K.png

Memphis Kings Icon Edition Uniform Concept

fhFHOdA.png

Memphis Kings Statement Edition Uniform Concept

h7IMSn1.png

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Memphis Kings (Grizzlies)

So you renamed the Memphis Grizzlies? Good move. Even are no grizzlies in whole state of Tennessee!
happy dorm life GIF 
Wait, the whole renaming means the Vancouver Grizzlies are returning? I mean you’ll make a Vancouver Grizzlies concept? Also, I suggest for Sacramento renaming, please keep the purple/sliver/black scheme it’s pretty unique.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

@Eastport76 - It is my intention of making a Vancouver Grizzlies and Memphis Grizzlies concept. For the Sacramento Kings I am going to make two concepts: one renamed and one based on the Kings moniker. The purple, silver and black will be used! Thank you for liking the concept(!) - I appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

I was originally going to post my take on the Detroit Pistons. During the project I experienced severe issues with inspiration and a solid direction to go so I abandoned the Pistons(for now) and started on another motor-inspired team, less successful franschise but far superior directions and possibilities, or should I say easier?  
When the Pacers unveiled their new uniform and identity, I was pleasantly suprised. Navy and yellow/gold is always a stunner (excluding everything Sweden).
I very much enjoyed the circular type chest treatment and the agency font is kinda cool, could of course be better but we should be grateful that Nike didnt try to make their own font for the team. I understand the farm land connection with the new logos though they probably could've come up with something better as I get a slight dissonance between the acres and car racing theme. Still, I used the alternate logo for the association and icon. 

Speaking of car racing theme - I've seen a lot of concepts for the Pacers and the vast majority of them either including racing flag or flojo, or both(!) I love the flojo, it's iconic and is identified with the greatest seasons this team has seen, yet. In tune with Nike's minimalistic approach I decided to go with the racing flags as the pattern could easily be incorporated in a subliminal way. I also considered the pin stripes for a long time. They were dropped as well as I didn't feel they would complement the direction I wanted to go with this team. 

The icon is the same as the association, only draped in navy. I based the statement edition on the current city edition, reducing it to a more cohesive and moderate uniform. As I've used the checkered pattern on the association and icon, I felt I could not use it on the statement, afraid of overkill. The statement is inspired by Indy 500 racing suits, only reduced down to something more simplistic. Instead of using Indiana as the wordmark I went with Pacers - usually I use the state name but for some reason I just thought Pacers looked better. I also added 500 on the waistband. 

I gotta mention that I to track down the right hex code for the colours, as couple of sites didnt seem to have the right tone - it didnt look right to me and some sites didnt even use the same codes. In the end I used the colour drop tool on the brightest pixel point on the Pacers uniform. 

My concepts for the Pacers are not the most original or inventive I've done. That said, I am very content with them. They are conservative and easy on the eyes and would really stand out against the Los Angeles Lakers, which is my measurement for teams using the blue/yellow colour combination. Though I could've used Brogdon as the player name on the back, I wanted to use Oladipo as he is very much the heart of the Pacers and is working his way back to his former self day by day. 
Nike always include a inspirational sentence or tag-line, if you will. The Pacers use "always lead", I changed it to "always driven". This has nothing to do with the whole, just thought I sounds better - more competition oriented(!)

Lastly - I should've included a city edition. The reason for it lacking is that I find them especially hard to create. I have started on some city concepts for both Memphis Kings and Indiana Pacers. They are not where I want them to be yet - I'll post them when I feel they look acceptable enough. 

All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated! 

Indiana Pacers Association Edition Uniform Concept

HhgDdTd.png

Indiana Pacers Icon Edition Uniform Concept

lCCyQsz.png

Indiana Pacers Statement Edition Uniform Concept

ys3TpQr.png

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Indiana Pacers
  • Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Indiana Pacers 500

@bcon_731 - Thank you so very much for your very kind words! Its the greatest praise one can get on this forum and I appreciate it! I considered creating a Hoosiers/Hickory uniform but wasnt quite sure in which direction to go as Pacers has wore "Hickory High" and the now "Hickory Throwback". I can make a concept with a gold base, however I am afraid it would look too much alike the statement, which is gold dominant. I could try to make a uniform with a hickory red base and use gold and white as trimming, what do you think? I am completely open to all suggestions(!) Thanks again for your kind words!

5 hours ago, Tore said:

@bcon_731 - Thank you so very much for your very kind words! Its the greatest praise one can get on this forum and I appreciate it! I considered creating a Hoosiers/Hickory uniform but wasnt quite sure in which direction to go as Pacers has wore "Hickory High" and the now "Hickory Throwback". I can make a concept with a gold base, however I am afraid it would look too much alike the statement, which is gold dominant. I could try to make a uniform with a hickory red base and use gold and white as trimming, what do you think? I am completely open to all suggestions(!) Thanks again for your kind words!

You do good work, its well deserved. But I was think of the 3rd Pacers set, prominently maroon with gold. Then along the side the subliminal check board.

Great job with both the kings and the pacers. That 3rd Kings jersey is so awesome, the word mark is amazing and would make for a great city set. I also love the simplicity of the pacers. Simplicity is a good thing sometimes, and the Pacers are a team that definitely looks better with your simple approach. Love it, can't wait to see more

@bcon_731 Ill try it out and see how it turns out! You want the subliminal check board pattern on the side like the current Pacers city edition or spread out just like my interpretation of the association and icon? 

@jaytavo305 Thank you so much for your kind words of praise! The 3rd Memphis Kings jersey is a mashup of a statement and city edition. The same can be said about the "statement" edition for Indy. I am horrible at city editions so I usually take a shortcut by meshing the two ideas together. All in all I would prefer if Nike kept the home and away designations for the uniforms and had an alternate or two. 

Archived