• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/4/2019 at 4:48 AM, Tore said:

This time it’s the Los Angeles Lakers.

I have always been a fan of uniforms using team name for home and city name for away. I fooled around with some concepts where I used Los Angeles on the icon and statement but it just did not feel right so I scrapped it. 
As with both the Celtics and Knicks, the Lakers are a sacred institution in the NBA and this was a major factor while I was creating them. If I did too much I might summon the wrath of Lakers fans so I felt it only necessary to do as little as possible for this franchise.

I added a showtime inspired collar and trim for all sets. I also took the joyous liberty of removing the atrocious black side panels on the statement edition.

These are by no means a set of revolutionary uniforms but they are cleaner and more in tune with the «Showtime» homage than their current sets. 

I did try to find the hex code for the infamous "banana" yellow colour but I wasnt able to, so I used the colour drop tool on the current uniforms. Not sure if it is the right hue but it's the closest I could come up with based on the pictures of the jersey. 

All comments and criticsms are greatly appreciated!

Los Angeles Lakers Association Edition Uniform Concept
DtnYDuA.png

Los Angeles Lakers Icon Edition Uniform Concept

EKh8GXm.png

Los Angeles Lakers Statement Edition Uniform Concept

DBUwegz.png

You did good.  I've made an actual jersey based on you association edition concept except with the purple and gold swapped everywhere as an alternate association  jersey.  You can also try and swap the purple and gold only for the jersey numbers as a 3rd alternate association jersey.

I've always wanted to see these in the West / Baylor era light blue / royal blue combos, but with "Lakers" on front instead of "Los Angeles."  So basically taking all three of these and swapping purple with light blue and gold with royal blue.  If you have even more time, take all three of these and swap purple with royal blue and gold with light blue.

Edit: just realized that you don't have to swap the light blue and royal blue for all three, only the Association jersey since the Icon and Statement jersey would take care of that.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:41 AM, Tore said:

Atlanta Hawks for me is red, white and yellow. Ever since they included the disgusting vomit volt green, I have had a difficult time taking the uniforms seriously. Using the abhorrent colour was never ever considered, however I did make two alternate sets, with red, white and peach. Red, white and yellow was the way to go. That said, I dont really mind the "winged" subliminal pattern. One can argue that the pattern looks more quilted than winged though. For some reason the Hawks have chosen to not include the pattern on the shorts, which I think is a mistake as it makes the uniform more wholesome. 

I took inspiration from my Hawk-ish Houston Rockets concept and I browsed through every single uniform the Hawks have worn since their relocation to Atlanta. As always, I want to keep the concepts within Nikes minimalistic era of design but I always wanted to the Hawks to have this vintage vibe as well. The chest stripes are slightly askew with the wordmark(I used the current Hawks wordmark - might be some sizes too large at the moment but it works). I added some trim on the left side of the shorts to mirror the chest and to keep it interesting. 

The belt also mirrors the asymmetrical pattern of the chest and short trim. The logo is now red and yellow instead of white and red, I might have to resize it a bit on the side shorts. 
I am still unsure if black was the right choice for the statement edition; yellow was a bit too much. There is no difference between the uniforms except colour - kinda boring though - I might remake the Wilkins uniform into a statement one day soon instead. 
Above the jock tag it says "True to Atlanta" in Coca Cola font, which I thought was a cool little add on. 
During my process with the Hawks I feel I can say that seems to me they went for something that is easy marketable, instead of doing the hard but right thing which is timeless and not going all insane(volt). 

All in all, it's been kinda hard to know which direction to go with the Hawks. I never knew too much about them and after visiting a lot of forums I feel the die hard fans themselves are kinda contradicting when it comes to what they really want from a team uniform. One thing is sure though, they do not want volt green with red, white and black. 

Atlanta Hawks Association Edition Uniform Concept

drFdQv5.png

Atlanta Hawks Icon Edition Uniform Concept

DRQR45O.png

Atlanta Hawks Statement Edition Uniform Concept

apFFFaO.png

On the Icon jersey, could you try the team name in red and see what that looks like? It is hard to read the gold "Atlanta" with the white background, unless you maybe want to keep the gold team name but have a red outline?  Not sure if that would look too clunky or clustered, though.

@sayahh Thank you so much for your suggestions! I certainly think you are onto something here. Do want me to use the older template or the new when trying out your proposals? 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

4 hours ago, Tore said:

@sayahh Thank you so much for your suggestions! I certainly think you are onto something here. Do want me to use the older template or the new when trying out your proposals? 

The suggestions are based on your excellent concepts so just apply them to those templates.  They're just basically color changes. Thanks and your entire series has been great so far.  Keep up the great work!

@sayahh

I found the older files (took some searching) and did some of the changes you requested. I will do the rest of the changes for the Lakers icon and statement soon (the oldest template is a complete mess and the overview of the different layers are hopeless to understand). 
Anyways, here are the edited Atlanta Hawks and two versions of the Los Angeles Lakers Association Edition in the 60 to 67 colours(Used trucolor for reference this time, not sure if it's the exact right colours). 
I definitely think you are onto something with the Hawks. And in regards to the Lakers versions, the V2 looks better to me.
I actually think I might update and "remaster" the older concepts with the newest template one day. 

Atlanta Hawks Icon Edition Uniform Concept Edited
KiHwAD1.png

Los Angeles Lakers Association Edition Uniform Concept Edited V1

Xx4LkDs.png

Los Angeles Lakers Association Edition Uniform Concept Edited V2

weyaASG.png

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

6 hours ago, Tore said:

I definitely think you are onto something with the Hawks. And in regards to the Lakers versions, the V2 looks better to me.
I actually think I might update and "remaster" the older concepts with the newest template one day. 

OMG everything turned out awesome!  And you're right about V2 looking better, but I'm still glad you generated V1 because I've never seen it rendered the way so I'm glad you've been able to tweak it!  Can't wait to see how the Lakers Icon and Statement jerseys turn out!

On 7/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, Tore said:

Los Angeles Lakers Association Edition Uniform Concept Edited V1

Xx4LkDs.png

Los Angeles Lakers Association Edition Uniform Concept Edited V2

weyaASG.png

I didn't notice it when I viewed these on my phone, but I see that you made the collar different than the way you made your concepts  In my opinion, it would look a lot better if the collar were consistently uniform all the way around, like they are on your concepts.  Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...

Been quite busy lately. I was originally going to post my Raptors concepts but instead I wanted to publish my revised Milwaukee Bucks uniforms as they've collected dust for a couple of months. The Raptors concepts is would be too boring to post now as I basically spammed my thread with several different takes on the new unis for the '21 season. 

I went through my notepad and I've outlined the following: Contrasting to the Celtics, irish rainbow, easify by meshing the current and the old. 
As to the point of making the Bucks look different from the Celtics - they already do, however I want them to be more modern and a bit darker. I am not the greatest fan of black unis as its too easy, lazy and uninventive. That being said, I took the easy route and made the icon edition black instead of green with the dumb assumption that they would use them against the Celtics. Association is white, icon is black and statement is green. This might be controversial but the statement looked way cooler in green, and I cant justify both icon and statement being green. 

Irish rainbow is a fan favourite. The irish rainbow was inspired by the Houston Astros. The Bucks started using the irish rainbow pattern in '77 to '93 and ever since Bucks fans have wanted them back. The current Bucks unis use a slight rendition of the rainbow, however the black and blue just doesnt cut it, so I removed them from the equation. Blue stands out way too much and the black gets muddled up on the sidetrim, so I darkened the primary green and for the irish rainbow I chose to use 4 shades of green to complement the primary green.
I made the rainbow bigger as well. Instead of the one coloured trim, I went for the three trimmed and made the middle part thinner as to make the cream a big less intrusive. This said, I think cream appears very much off-white. The colour just gives off this passive and nostalgic feeling which doesnt really work, however I kept it as fans very much like the colour. I'd rather add red or purple into mix but maybe for another time. 

The statement edition is basically a green-ifyed version of the Bucks current statement edition with 4 shades of irish rainbow. I know the inverted M (or whatever you call it) on the shorts is somewhat hard to make out - I could make an outline but I dont think it will fit the overall concept. There is no special reasoning for the NoB being beneath the numbers - I did the same my former Bucks statement editions - I guess it's because of Giannis long last name.  
There's no city edition to these revised concepts. There is however a take on classic editions. Maybe I'll finish them or not. 

I really want to add brown into the Bucks colour scheme in someway, as I once did without too much success. Brown is such a great colour and is severly underused in sports. It would fit so much with the forest and deer theme. Speaking of former concepts and deer theme, I kept the "ours is the fury" text on the jocktag as nobody fear deers. As a hunter I just had to change it. The slogan is taken from Game of Thrones and is the motto to House Baratheon and their coat of arms is a stag. 
Should note that there should be logos on the side shorts, but I never came to it. 

Green is such a magnificent colour. Maybe someday we will see more teams in green. I am still holding on to hope that one day the Sonics will be resurrected. Hell, I even hope the Clippers rebrand and adopt green in someway, as they once intended. Sorry for my rambling. 

Milwaukee Bucks Association Edition Uniform Concept
czSxRSo.png

Milwaukee Bucks Icon Edition Uniform Concept
IIx72nG.png

Milwaukee Bucks Statement Edition Uniform Concept
2d9o3TJ.png

All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated! I sincerely hope you guys stay safe during these unprecedented times! 

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Milwaukee Bucks - Revised & Recharged - Again

A couple things id personally do differently.  1) Make the green jersey the Icon and the Black jersey the statement.  2) Keep the current side design on the Association and Icon but still use your piping pattern.

As it is though, damn that looks nice!

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

@NicDB That would really be better, but I really wanted to follow a more alternative route. 

@itsmb8 That was probably the original idea. I didnt really read out every note I had but in essence I wanted to make the Bucks more different to the Celtics in terms of colour matchups. 

I could definitely make the changes, if you guys want me to. I really appreciate the comments and the kind words!

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Milwaukee Bucks - Revised & Recharged

I polished the Bucks city edition a bit. Instead of triple trim with blue, cream and green I went full five shaded irish rainbow. There are some inconsistencies in the trimming when it comes to size, especially on the shorts, however it should sufficent enough to showcase my overall idea. I exchanged the Cream City wordmark with Milwaukee instead as I think Cream City sounds a bit strange. I considered using Cream Brick City instead, or even Brew City, but it just sounded too meh. 
I assigned the jocktag text to be cream city. Double bucks logo on the shorts outlined with lime green.
It's not the most exciting of city editions but I think it looks kinda cool and different. I did make several renditions of this concept; in black, white and all the five shades of green - however to complete the set I needed to use cream. 

Milwaukee Bucks City Edition Uniform Concept
rPt6ZRy.png

All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated! I sincerely hope you guys stay safe during these unprecedented times! 

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Milwaukee Bucks - Revised & Recharged - City Edition

@Ukyo - Thank you. I added red to the trim and removed the irish rainbow and reintroduced the classic trim pattern. It gets kinda dark though, however bonus points a more christmas-y look. I considered using green, white and red for the trim, but wanted to go with something more "controversial" and "radical". I might try out the more conservative approach later.

Milwaukee Bucks City Edition V2 Uniform Concept
R0qU4qQ.png

• Tore changed the title to 2019/20 NIKE x NBA Concepts | Milwaukee Bucks Revised | City Edition V2
11 hours ago, Tore said:

@Ukyo - Thank you. I added red to the trim and removed the irish rainbow and reintroduced the classic trim pattern. It gets kinda dark though, however bonus points a more christmas-y look. I considered using green, white and red for the trim, but wanted to go with something more "controversial" and "radical". I might try out the more conservative approach later.

Milwaukee Bucks City Edition V2 Uniform Concept
R0qU4qQ.png

THAT'S COOL! I think the same for you: It should be for christmas. These colours is very nice. Good job

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, Tore said:

This summer the Houston Rockets unveiled new uniforms. I didnt really mind them except for the needless armhole trim - they would simply look a lot better with a full trim(!) The logo is still horrible and I cannot believe they still havent considered the many great fan made logos on the web; some of them are really amazing. The wordmark is sans serif which I think is a better font to be honest. They've kept with the black theme and gone even further down the rabbit hole. In my mind the only teams who should black, white and red is the Blazers and the Bulls. I dont mean to offend any Raptors fans, I just wished the Raptors stayed with the gorgeous red, purple and white.
All in all, the new Rockets uniforms are uninventive, uninspiring and very much bland. Replacing the chevrons with a solid bar is kinda nice as it gives this blast-off shape coming off the shorts, however the horrid logo still remains on the sides - which I cannot understand as it is based on the old font they used. The chevrons was kinda cool though. The only great uniform they released was the throwback.

Now I am aware some Rockets fans have a love/hate relationship with it but it's unique colour combination. Some feel it hails to a forgotten age that simply isnt relevant anymore; that it doesnt make any sense given that this isnt your dad's Houston Rockets. Others feel the ketchup and mustard made the Rockets instant identifiable; that the red and gold brings luck as it is the championship uniforms and needs to be respected as a part of basketball history. I understand both sides but the latter gets my vote, even though I am a firm believer in the halting oversaturation of NBA. 

I wanted to add a logo on the sides of the shorts but that it beyond my capabilites at the moment. Because of this the association and icon edition feels very much incomplete as I dont have any logos to put on the sides of the shorts. I apologize for this. However I tried and made a really cheap HR logo on the waistband to match the font in use. I might try to rescale it and add it to the sides of shorts. Rockets for the association and Houston for the icon, just as it should be. 
All in all I ended up with a uniform set that feels very much 90 inspired, which may be a bad or good thing. Another thing is the use of gold on the association: the numerals and players name looked strange with red outlines and visa versa; the pure gold looked cleaner so I kept it as such even though yellow/gold on white isnt exactly a match made in heaven.
I also kept the trim as pure and minimalistic as I could; white trim on home and red trim on away. 

The statement is based on the infamous Rockets uniform from 95'. I took the blue and turned it into this very deep, dark space-ish void blue - it's exactly at the border of black. The pinstripes are cut and edited with a gradient to give of this shield-ish kinda shine and to look like something interstellar. Talking about interstaller, I added stars. Kinda far out there look and very much reminiscent of Orlando Magic's city edition from 17'. Stars are certainly "magical" however I can argue that a team named Rockets certainly can use stars as a theme too. The trim and pin stripes on this statement concept gives me vibes of the iconic Bulls alternate from 95' - I dont think that was my original intention though as I originally used red and yellow trim, but the red and white won out because of the contrast. 
I went with Houston for the statement, however Rockets might work better. 

It has come to my attention that a user on reddit with the name pepman33 has claimed my concepts for his/her own; going way back to my old Lakers concept. I gather he's maybe a user on this site too so I wanted to exclusively say to him: if you are going to steal my concepts, at least have the decency to give me credit. 

Houston Rockets Association Edition Uniform Concept
TXlTG34.png

Houston Rockets Icon Edition Uniform Concept

kJHMdrG.png

Houston Rockets Statement Edition Uniform Concept

YdaMQQg.png

I forgot to tell you but i would love to see the Statement Edition with the same concept of Icon, Association jerseys, but instead of red / yellow or white / red, would be nice if it was Black/Red and the wordmark white! 

Or maybe a "earned edition"? You could make it? 

i mean, i prefer the v1 than v2 haha, this is really VERY GOOD!

So the Charlotte Hornets unveiled new unis a couple of days ago and twitter went amok with both positive and negative takes on the unis. Last time I tried making some Hornets concepts it turned out bad. I've always found the Hornets a bit hard as so much of their identity is rooted in their inaugural uniforms. The Hornets colours are immaculate; teal and purple is a beautiful combination which brightens the oversaturated NBA which has too many teams wearing blue, red and yellow. 

My personal opinion is that the new uniforms lacked purple. The white is clean and very streamlined, but purple is as much a part of the essence of the Hornets as red is with the Heat. I must admit I am among the segment who very much liked the former unis they wore. I thought they were easy on the eyes and popped very well against other teams, especially other purple teams. So with this in mind I sat out to try again. I ended up making two different sets, one is a slightly revisioned throwback and the other is a more modern set following Nike's minimalistic approach. 

Disclaimer - I am not exactly sure I got the right hex codes for the teal and purple as other concepts seems to have a wide arrange of shades so I used the colours I got from the Hornets media guide. 

For the modern set, I kept the double pinstripes which was now newly reintroduced. I wanted to avoid being as monochromatic as the new uniforms but at the same time keeping it as easy and clean as I could. I've tried several different routes but for some reason "HORNETS" always look somewhat awkward on a pinstriped jersey. I'm avid to a fault on having team name on home unis and city name on away unis, however I found that "CHARLOTTE" always looked better, even on the association edition - this said I refused to buckle so I've kept Hornets on the home uniforms and from thereon out I keep away from using "HORNETS". 

The association and icon are basically the same, just some colours reversed really. The statement was inspired by the current statement - I considered using CLT, however knowing how fast memers would attack this I went for CHA instead. It's a more hyberbolic version of the association and icon and very purple. 
For the city edition I did something slightly controversial which might upset Duke fans. I originally wanted to do a "Queen City" uniform but it's been done so many times that I wanted to do something new. What I ended up with as a more state edition, or tar heel state-edition one might say. I knew I wanted to use Carolina blue as it is just a marvelous shade of blue. From there on out I felt it was only natural to do a slight homage to the Tar Heels, as it was Michael Jordan's team and seeing that Michael Jordan is the majority owner of the Hornets. It's not out of the ballpark to believe that a uniform like this might happen one day. The uniform is very basic and easy-going, athletic and very much college inspired which is not hard to see. It has a cube C with H logo on the waistband and some hornets on the sideshorts. 

As you surely will notice, the font in use for the modern set is not the same Hornets use. Reason for this is that I am beyond horrible at recreating fonts so I did some slight modifications on a font I have. It's not perfect but it somewhat works. 

Charlotte Hornets Association Edition Uniform Concept
5OU36tO.png

Charlotte Hornets Icon Edition Uniform Concept
YSsKYhw.png

Charlotte Hornets Statement Edition Uniform Concept
QcbsJMh.png

Charlotte Hornets City Edition Uniform Concept
UbW7P1c.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now, it was never my intention of making a throwback set with some slight revisions. It speaks to the timelessness and greatness of the classic uniforms. They are so ingrained in my mind that I could not espace them. 
I was able to find a wordmark and numeral that somewhat matched the originals. The pinstripes are in different colours, just as the originals were. Instead of the usual horizontal double lines at the end of the shorts, I added them together and made a bigger "block". On the icon and statement editions for the throwback I kept it white as to contrast the teal and purple. 
I should've fixed some logos for the sides of the shorts but I was afraid it would be too noisy (same for the more modern set) - I just might revisit this later. 

Retro Charlotte Hornets Home Edition Uniform Concept
PC8g1ub.png

Retro Charlotte Hornets Away Edition Uniform Concept

OSKqBM0.png

Retro Charlotte Hornets Alt Edition Uniform Concept
n2rCioG.png

All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated! As always I sincerely hope you guys stay safe during these unprecedented and strange times! 

• Tore changed the title to NIKE x NBA Concepts | New Charlotte Hornets Revisited Rectified & Retro

This is certainly an improvement! I prefer the second set you posted, with the original colored pinstripes and the more classic font. Just a suggestion for the Statement, however. If you're not going to use CLT, the preferred three-letter abbreviation for the city, then just use Charlotte. CHA means nothing outside of the NBA, it's not even like ATL or PHX which has become somewhat accepted, it just means nothing. One other suggestion would be to make the waist logo on the second set match the color of the shorts, it seems more like an oversight right now. I don't hate the UNC-style City, but I think it's overdone and doesn't make much sense, given UNC is in Chapel Hill, which is not really close to Charlotte. If anything, a UNCC jersey might be more acceptable, given that they're actually in the city and occasionally play games at Spectrum Center. This is a really solid concept, you've really elevated the set they put out. A couple tweaks and I think it would be an excellent set!

the user formerly known as cdclt

For your Association and Icon uniforms for the Hornets, I feel as though white text with a colored outline looks better, specifically if the numbers and wordmark match, like one the throwbacks. I don’t like the solid color number because it doesn’t read very well from long distance. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived