• 1 month later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to start off by telling you guys it's been around one year since the covid outbreak in Norway. We've been pretty much shutdown ever since. I never imagined something like this would happen. Thankfully the vaccination programs is starting up so we will be out of this sooner than later!

I was talking to some friends recently about where we want to go abroad when this is over and normality has returned. We soon started naming states in the US we wanna visit. Now, if you dont know, I am a big fan of the USA (and Canada). I very much want to visit at least every city that has a NBA team. On the top of my list is Boston, Charlotte, New Orleans, Seattle and Portland. And this prompted me to post my Blazers concepts here. Last concepts were the Jazz and Nuggets so it's kinda fitting to follow up with the Blazers too, to keep it in the North West. 
I've been more on twitter as of late, focusing on the Jersey Club concepts. I havent forgotten about my thread, its just work and the group which takes precedence over this place now. I'll try to be more active now. 
Anyways, Im going to keep it short as I babble on and on. I'm not as concise as Hoopladawg87 so here's a write-up, as short as they come from me lol

I think that the current association and icon edition for the Trail Blazers is pretty much as good as it gets for them, so this is more of a tweak than a new interpretation. 
There's been a lot of complaints about the use of silver/grey trimming for the Blazers, Raptors and Knicks.While I do agree that  white and silver together gets lost from a distance and makes the trim look unnecessarily thick, I still wanted to keep it for some strange reason. So I looked to the epochal sash and decided I wanted the collars to emulate the tri-coloured sash.
There's not much more to those edition really. I "fixed" the wordmarks, adding some 45 degree angle strokes, and I added red outline for the wordmarks. 

Back in 2017-18' Blazers came out with the city edition tribute to the great Dr Jack Ramsey. Being a huge fan of plaid I absolutely loved it. A unique, quirky and classy look. However the uniform was in black, which isnt that suitable for the plaid pattern. I looked at my plaid jacket and thought it was a better look; more lumberjack, more grunge(not a fan of that term/designation but love the era and the music created during that time). 
I added a crew neck collar with double piping to give the uniform a more retro, quirky look. Substituted the tri-coloured sash with double sash as homage to their one title run. Same wordmark as on the association and icon. 

Also, I used McCollum as the player here. He simply doesnt get the credit he deserves!

All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated! As always I sincerely hope you guys stay safe during these unprecedented and strange times! 

Portland Trail Blazers Association Edition Uniform Concept
rvn7sYc.png

Portland Trail Blazers Icon Edition Uniform Concept
bZFoh7h.png

Portland Trail Blazers Statement Edition Uniform Concept
aFANyrY.png

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

• Tore changed the title to NBA x NIKE Concepts | Portland Trail Blazers 03.02.21

I always love your concepts.  As a Blazer fan, I'm obviously invested in what you're proposing.  I like the tweaks to the Icon and Association, those simple changes to the wordmark and trim would go a long way.

And I like the basic look of the Statement, but... the plaid really isn't doing it for me.  While plaid is very much a Portland fashion staple, that particular plaid really doesn't speak to the city to me.  I think the diagonal orientation is off, and the scale is a little small.  I'd move it in one of two directions; either go full hipster lumberjack with a strong black and red buffalo check, or pay homage to the great Jack Ramsey with a 70's era plaid like his suits (and the patch that is my avatar).  It also doesn't have to be all over, using the plaid in the trim or the waistband or the sash could be a stronger way of bringing in that design element.

I really want a sick plaid Blazers jersey, I just have yet to see a concept that really makes it sing.  I may have to try my hand at it some day.

@DrJack Thank you so much for your very kind words! I truly appreciate it! I understand that as a Blazers fan you are far more invested than the usual boardmember. I am happy to hear you liked the tweaks. I had some discussions with Hoopladawg about my proposed design direction for the team. Sometimes it seems that a simple removal or add can make the look more whole. I am a minimalist at heart, but I am by no means a designer so Im just going by my gut and what feedback I get. 

I completely understand your point of view for the statement edition. I wanted to add the plaid pattern the Blazers used back in 17 and reapply it to a red statement uniform. I've tried to emulate it to my best abilities but it is of course not without its faults. The duo side panels and sash is certainly dull but an easy way out.  
In regards to the to diagonal orientation and scale, I always try to add some inconsistencies to my concepts as I feel it adds a certain dimension of realism to them. The Nike jersey and shorts are never 100% symmetrical nor as precise as uniforms one can create on photoshop and I try to mimic this to a certain extent. 
I did try out plaid pattern on belt and as collar trimming but the sizing of my template made it looks very pixelated, unfortunately. I could've tried harder, but I just didnt for some reason this time around. 
Now, I always make several renditions. Either for myself or to post on twitter. I have another statement edition to show you, but the response I got was that it was hard on the eyes and a bit extreme plaid. I never finished it, as it needs a bit of tuning. 
The basic statement with subliminal plaid patterns was a more safer choice. Maybe you'll like this statement better, or not. 

I cannot thank you enough for your constructive criticism! It is very much essential to grow and expand, and every time I get some feedback I get better(or so I like to believe lol) 

Portland Trail Blazers Statement Edition Extreme Plaid Uniform Concept
vZpyjwW.png

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

3 hours ago, Tore said:

@DrJack Thank you so much for your very kind words! I truly appreciate it! I understand that as a Blazers fan you are far more invested than the usual boardmember. I am happy to hear you liked the tweaks. I had some discussions with Hoopladawg about my proposed design direction for the team. Sometimes it seems that a simple removal or add can make the look more whole. I am a minimalist at heart, but I am by no means a designer so Im just going by my gut and what feedback I get. 

I completely understand your point of view for the statement edition. I wanted to add the plaid pattern the Blazers used back in 17 and reapply it to a red statement uniform. I've tried to emulate it to my best abilities but it is of course not without its faults. The duo side panels and sash is certainly dull but an easy way out.  
In regards to the to diagonal orientation and scale, I always try to add some inconsistencies to my concepts as I feel it adds a certain dimension of realism to them. The Nike jersey and shorts are never 100% symmetrical nor as precise as uniforms one can create on photoshop and I try to mimic this to a certain extent. 
I did try out plaid pattern on belt and as collar trimming but the sizing of my template made it looks very pixelated, unfortunately. I could've tried harder, but I just didnt for some reason this time around. 
Now, I always make several renditions. Either for myself or to post on twitter. I have another statement edition to show you, but the response I got was that it was hard on the eyes and a bit extreme plaid. This was the reason I went for the basic statement with subliminal plaid patterns - a more safer choice. Maybe you'll like this statement better, or not.

I cannot thank you enough for your constructive criticism! It is very much essential to grow and expand, and every time I get some feedback I get better(or so I like to believe lol) 

Portland Trail Blazers Statement Edition Extreme Plaid Uniform Concept
vZpyjwW.png

I'm liking where this is headed...  It's a little garish, no doubt, but trust me when I say that this would be absurdly popular in Portland. Thanks for whipping that up, it's cool too see.
 A couple suggestions...

I think it needs side panels and trim at the base of the shorts.  It'll help prevent them from looking like pajamas.  I thought last year's Rip City faux-backs were a great blend of modern and retro, and the cream color really worked well with the blazers color scheme.  This design, with the buffalo check base, your improved "BLAZERS" wordmark and the trim, wordmarks, side panels in the cream color... could be nice.

Portland Trail Blazers 'City' jerseys, more cream-colored fan gear now  available online, in stores - oregonlive.com

Good stuff, regardless. Love your vision for the team.

Archived