AAF x NFL (AAF as the NFL's farm system concepts)

mattr1198

Hi all,

With the AAF season underway and looking more and more like an NFL farm system, I decided to take that literally. I have assigned all 32 NFL teams an affiliate farm team and given them an assigned stadium. However, I will keep the current eight teams and assign them to NFL affiliates with minor recoloring to match their respective teams (they may receive new stadiums to scale down though). I will be going division by division and explaining team names, starting with the AFC East going till the NFC West. I'm excited to work on this, so here goes nothing!

Toronto Hogs (Buffalo Bills Affiliate): Nicknamed the hogs due to "Hogtown" being one of Toronto's many nicknames, Toronto would make a great ground for the Bills affiliate, as it would allow for the NFL to expand internationally for the first time and since the Bills played a game in Toronto annually for many years in the past, the affiliate should have fan support.

Orlando Apollos (Miami Dolphins Affiliate): The team name and logo remain the same, but are recolored to the Dolphins' signature teal and both shades of orange they used in their history.

New Jersey Fighters (New York Jets Affiliate): Obviously a reference to a fighter plane, like the Jets and the logo is in a similar style to the parent organization, even with the impending branding change. It would allow for the team to hang onto their older, retro identity.

Providence Minutemen (New England Patriots Affiliate): Referring to the famous soldiers during the American revolution, it fits the Patriots' brand and identity.

spacer.png

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions! I will be doing the AFC North next!

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work, but I feel that these logos are too simple. Also maybe photoshop a bit, and go for the jerseys? 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

4 hours ago, Blindsay said:

Nice work, but I feel that these logos are too simple. Also maybe photoshop a bit, and go for the jerseys? 

1 hour ago, MSO94 said:

I agree. I think they need a little more work.

I disagree, the logos serve their purpose well. Although I do have two things, why’d you changed Orlando’s colors? I think they’re current colors work well. If you were to continue with the Dolphins colors tho, maybe adjust the shades, a lot of contrast going on. And I’d also simplify the Minutemen logo. The football seems unnecessary and there’s too many small details on the guns. 

I really like the hogs logo, it’s clever.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Guest darkpiranha

I have to side with the "too simple" comments.  These are good starts, but look like first drafts, or like a max of ten minutes was spent on each one.  I realize you have 32 of them you want to do and it's going to take a long time as it is, but you really need to slow down on these and give them the effort they deserve.  I'm assuming you have reasonable or better Photoshop skills, so there's really not an excuse to rush through these.   If you ARE just more interested in getting this stuff out there, then the best policy is to explain that up front so helpful designers don't waste their time giving valuable feedback when it isn't wanted.  I'll assume based on the energy that you've put into this so far, that you're interested in good feedback.  

22 hours ago, mattr1198 said:

Hi all,

With the AAF season underway and looking more and more like an NFL farm system, I decided to take that literally. I have assigned all 32 NFL teams an affiliate farm team and given them an assigned stadium. However, I will keep the current eight teams and assign them to NFL affiliates with minor recoloring to match their respective teams (they may receive new stadiums to scale down though). I will be going division by division and explaining team names, starting with the AFC East going till the NFC West. I'm excited to work on this, so here goes nothing!

Toronto Hogs (Buffalo Bills Affiliate): Nicknamed the hogs due to "Hogtown" being one of Toronto's many nicknames, Toronto would make a great ground for the Bills affiliate, as it would allow for the NFL to expand internationally for the first time and since the Bills played a game in Toronto annually for many years in the past, the affiliate should have fan support.

Orlando Apollos (Miami Dolphins Affiliate): The team name and logo remain the same, but are recolored to the Dolphins' signature teal and both shades of orange they used in their history.

New Jersey Fighters (New York Jets Affiliate): Obviously a reference to a fighter plane, like the Jets and the logo is in a similar style to the parent organization, even with the impending branding change. It would allow for the team to hang onto their older, retro identity.

Providence Minutemen (New England Patriots Affiliate): Referring to the famous soldiers during the American revolution, it fits the Patriots' brand and identity.

spacer.png

it would be an interesting idea but the New York Red Bulls and Orlando City SC would have to be convinced that gridiron football is a good idea to be played at their stadiums.  Orlando is fine where they are because they wouldn't have to deal with complaints from soccer fans about football ruining their field.  With Toronto, I don't think any of these alternative football leagues will ever go to any of the CFL cities.  I think a better option for the Bills affiliate would be right in their own backyard, at the University at Buffalo. 

On 3/25/2019 at 1:52 AM, Blindsay said:

On 3/25/2019 at 5:02 AM, MSO94 said:

I agree. I think they need a little more work.

12 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

I have to side with the "too simple" comments.  These are good starts, but look like first drafts, or like a max of ten minutes was spent on each one.  I realize you have 32 of them you want to do and it's going to take a long time as it is, but you really need to slow down on these and give them the effort they deserve.  I'm assuming you have reasonable or better Photoshop skills, so there's really not an excuse to rush through these.   If you ARE just more interested in getting this stuff out there, then the best policy is to explain that up front so helpful designers don't waste their time giving valuable feedback when it isn't wanted.  I'll assume based on the energy that you've put into this so far, that you're interested in good feedback.  

Okay thanks all! I'm a bit of a novice at this, but I will be updating some of the logos to make them a little less simple. I personally see the Minutemen as being too simple (and will redo) and will refine the Hogs concept a bit more. I will be continuing with the AFC North after that.

NYC x STL

On 3/24/2019 at 8:09 PM, mattr1198 said:

Hi all,

spacer.png

Pretty good. However, I would move the Toronto team to either Syracuse's Carrier Dome or the University at Buffalo's Stadium, as it is highly doubtful that the AAF would cross into CFL territory. Also, I would keep the Orlando Apollos at UCF's Spectrum Stadium or move them to Camping World Stadium. As for New Jersey, I would move them to Rutgers University's HighPoint.com Stadium.

YOZXkBG.png?1

You've got a good start here.  Toronto would be a good place for a Bills farm club in theory.  But could you honestly see Torontonians going to see them when they could see the Argonauts?  I have to agree Syracuse is a more appropriate place for them.

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

You've got a good start here.  Toronto would be a good place for a Bills farm club in theory.  But could you honestly see Torontonians going to see them when they could see the Argonauts?  I have to agree Syracuse is a more appropriate place for them.

The issue with Syracuse is that the Carrier Dome is occupied with dates when the football team isn't playing since it's also the home of the basketball teams. 

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

The issue with Syracuse is that the Carrier Dome is occupied with dates when the football team isn't playing since it's also the home of the basketball teams. 

That can be fixed by one home game in the first four weeks since setup and teardown takes less than 8 hours from one to the other. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

As promised, I made some adjustments to my concepts, specifically the Providence Minutemen, which initially was too simple, now going for an adjusted and revised version of the patriots primary logo with reversed, brighter colors. Other adjustments include the return of the text to the Orlando Apollos, who will also now not move from their current home. I also added a football to better line up the Fighters' logo with the Jets new branding, and the Hogs got a prominent refresh courtesy of Chestnutz's great design (credit for that logo goes to him)!

spacer.png

Also, with regard to suggestions/comments over location/stadiums:

1) I have the Bills affiliate in Toronto simply on the basis of allowing/serving as a testing ground for future NFL international expansion, plus the fact that when it comes to NFL teams, the Bills are easily the most popular in the city and considering the CFL season will slightly overlap with the future AAF/NFL season, it should not be an issue. Cities like Syracuse are too much of college towns and arranging matchups in the Carrier Dome is far too difficult with College Football, Lacrosse, AND Basketball ongoing, and Rochester is just not much of a sports town or has an available venue. If the venture fails in Toronto, then they could move back to NY, even play at the University of Buffalo. 

2) When it comes to Red Bull Arena vs somewhere like Rutgers, Rutgers Stadium is far too big for this team and not close. Red Bull is a more intimate atmosphere in Newark, where more people should show and is mere minutes away from Metlife Stadium.

I hope y'all like my changes.

NYC x STL

9 hours ago, Blindsay said:

Could you try the fighters with the jets older logo?spacer.pngor this?spacer.png

With the upcoming logo change for the jets probably to something more of these styles, I wanted to make sure the logo would stand out a little bit more and really emphasize that they play in New Jersey/Newark.

NYC x STL

Laying out what the rest of the AAF could look like:

• AFC North
    • BAL: Annapolis Crows -- Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
    • CIN: Louisville Legends (relocated from Atlanta) -- Cardinal Stadium
    • CLE: Columbus Bulldogs -- MAPFRE Stadium
    • PIT: West Virginia Coal Miners -- Milan Puskar Stadium (Morgantown, WV)
  • AFC South
    • HOU: Austin, TX -- Austin FC Stadium
    • IND: Muncie Flyers -- Scheumann Stadium
    • JAX: South Georgia Leopards -- Allen E. Paulson Stadium (Statesboro, GA)
    • TEN: Memphis Express -- Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium
  • AFC West
    • DEN: Salt Lake Stallions -- Rio Tinto Stadium (Sandy, UT)
    • KC: Omaha Spirits -- TD Ameritrade Park Omaha
    • LV: Reno Bandits -- Mackay Stadium
    • LAC: San Diego Fleet -- SDCCU Stadium
  • NFC East
    • DAL: San Antonio Commanders -- Alamodome
    • NYG: Hudson Valley Bruisers -- Michie Stadium (West Point, NY)
    • PHI: Delaware Vultures -- Delaware Stadium (Newark, DE)
    • WSH: Norfolk Renegades -- Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium
  • NFC North
    • CHI: Illinois Grizzlies -- Memorial Stadium (Champaign, IL)
    • DET: Toledo Cougars -- Glass Bowl Stadium
    • GB: Wisconsin Wolfpack -- Camp Randall Stadium (Madison, WI)
    • MIN: Fargo Norsemen -- Fargodome
  • NFC South
    • ATL: Birmingham Iron -- New Stadium at BJCC
    • CAR: Raleigh-Durham Bobcats -- Wallace Wade Stadium (Durham, NC)
    • NO: Shreveport Steamers -- Independence Stadium
    • TB: Tallahassee Pirates -- Bragg Memorial Stadium
  • NFC West
    • ARZ: Arizona Hotshots (relocated to Tucson) -- Arizona Stadium
    • LAR: Bakersfield Bighorns -- Memorial Stadium
    • SF: Sacramento Surge -- Hornet Stadium
    • SEA: Portland Osprey -- Providence Park

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived