Sign in to follow this  
GDAWG

CFL 2.0: Bad Idea or good idea?

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie has a plan called CFL 2.0 in which the CFL forms partnerships from Gridiron football leagues from around the world to try to get international players who are not American to play in the CFL and to give Canadian college football players more outlets to play football outside of Canada.  So far, they have deals with leagues in Mexico, Germany, Austria, France, Scandinavia and Italy with probably more to come.  Ambrosie also has said that a CFL game could be played in Mexico as well as a Mexican TV deal.  The CFL already had a combine and draft of Mexican players back in January. 

So is this a good idea or a bad idea for the Canadian Football League?  Or is this a wait and see thing?

It's smart. There's a rash of spring football leagues in the US. And while stuff like the Patriot League and FFL will likely never amount to anything? At least two, the AAF and XFL, are getting on tv.

If all of these leagues fail? It's business as usual for the CFL. If just one manages to survive and carve out a sustainable niche, however? The CFL could face competition for players in the US.

While the viability of the AAF and XFL remains an open question? It's smart for the CFL to have contingencies planned for alternative personnel sources in the event that one or both manage to stick the landing.

Some CFL fans don't think it's a good idea because it takes spots away from Canadian players. 

Just now, GDAWG said:

Some CFL fans don't think it's a good idea because it takes spots away from Canadian players. 

The CFL will always have a Canadian element. So I really don't think it's worth clutching pearls over.

Just now, GDAWG said:

I've heard that too.

Honestly, the truth is there will always be rules for the teams to carry a certain amount of Canadians. It's a non issue in my mind. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The CFL will always have a Canadian element. So I really don't think it's worth clutching pearls over.

This is true.  There are people also panicking that CFL 2.0 will be a repeat of the failed American expansion, and from what I have read about it, that's not the goal.  The goal is to expand the player pool beyond Canada and the United States.  I would not be surprised at all if the CFL forms a partnership with the Japanese X-League in the future. 

This is a good initiative to get an international footprint of fans, but a wait and see with regards to the players from these countries making the teams and playing in the league.  The Mexican and European players from those leagues would still be International Players under the ratio rule, correct?  Meaning they are competing against the U.S. players for spots.  Meaning their chances of getting in the lineup may be challenging, if not impossible, unless the ratio changes somehow.

43 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

This is a good initiative to get an international footprint of fans, but a wait and see with regards to the players from these countries making the teams and playing in the league.  The Mexican and European players from those leagues would still be International Players under the ratio rule, correct?  Meaning they are competing against the U.S. players for spots.  Meaning their chances of getting in the lineup may be challenging, if not impossible, unless the ratio changes somehow.

At least the CFL will still be around 5 years from now, unlike the other leagues.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:37 PM, Wade Heidt said:

I wonder if they'll do what the NFL did when NFL Europe was operating and allow certain players to stay on as practice squad players. I remember Marco Martos would rotate to a different team for training camp each year. Usually it was whatever team would play a preseason game in Mexico.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:33 PM, Ice_Cap said:

It's smart. There's a rash of spring football leagues in the US. And while stuff like the Patriot League and FFL will likely never amount to anything? At least two, the AAF and XFL, are getting on tv.

I'm afraid the Patriot League runs from September through early February.