2019 NASCAR Thread

Gary

I’m surprised that we’re a couple months in and no 2019 thread for NASCAR.

NASCAR has announced that championship weekend has been moved from Florida to Phoenix starting next year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changes for 2020 include...

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/03/26/2020-nascar-schedule-revealed-playoffs-championship-race-changes/

- Moving Championship Weekend to Phoenix from Homestead

- Homestead goes to March from November

- West coast swing (Phoenix, Vegas, Cali) immediately follows Daytona opener in February 

- Daytona's July race moves to end of August to become the "regular season" finale before the Chase

- Bristol moves from July to September, becoming a Chase race

- Charlotte Roval becomes the end of the Round of 12, instead of Round of 16

- Pocono doublheader weekend in June

- Indianapolis becomes 4th of July weekend race

- Martinsville night race for firest time ever in May

No new tracks for 2020, but with contracts expiring expect new tracks to be considered starting in 2021.

1 hour ago, Gary. said:

I’m surprised that we’re a couple months in and no 2019 thread for NASCAR.

NASCAR has announced that championship weekend has been moved from Florida to Phoenix starting next year.

I kinda hope we see the championship weekend rotate around some new places.  Miami is such a dull track, maybe once in a while for the final but not annually.  Toss in a few small to intermediate tracks like Atlanta, Vegas, Texas along with Miami and Phoenix and you have a core 5.

5 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I kinda hope we see the championship weekend rotate around some new places.  Miami is such a dull track, maybe once in a while for the final but not annually.  Toss in a few small to intermediate tracks like Atlanta, Vegas, Texas along with Miami and Phoenix and you have a core 5.

Atlanta, Texas, and Vegas are SMI tracks, so I doubt they will ever end the season there as long as the France family is in control.

Unless the rip all three series down to the studs and start over, any of these changes just seem cosmetic. 

Moving the Daytona night race from 4th of July weekend is the worst mistake they could make. Ever since they ran a second race at Daytona it has always except for 1 time due to weather has been on that weekend. It’s completely :censored:ting on tradition. It’s like when they took the southern 500 from Labor Day weekend. The fire cracker 400 needs to be on 4th of July weekend. Moving it to the last race before the chase is just nascar trying to make some faux excitement like always. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Moving the Daytona night race from 4th of July weekend is the worst mistake they could make. Ever since they ran a second race at Daytona it has always except for 1 time due to weather has been on that weekend. It’s completely :censored:ting on tradition. It’s like when they took the southern 500 from Labor Day weekend. The fire cracker 400 needs to be on 4th of July weekend. Moving it to the last race before the chase is just nascar trying to make some faux excitement like always. 

I’ll second that. Hell, call me crazy but I’d say moving the July race is worse than if they would’ve pushed the 500 back to the second or third race of the year like was rumored earlier. No good reason for this move

Edit: Not only is it sh!tting on tradition, I just read that the new Daytona date is right around the peak of hurricane season. Smart!

I was wondering where this thread went.

The Daytona move already is, and will be, an absolute disaster. Way to kill a 50+ year tradition of Daytona on the 4th, and a 11 (soon to be 12) year tradition of going to the Coke 400 with my dad. NASCAR seems determined to burn all of the bridges that they still have. I can’t wait for that August race (The hottest month of the year, and when the hurricanes usually hit if they do) to be empty. They deserve it. Maybe they’ll stop depending on being carried by Daytona, Talladega, and Darlington ticket sales and start actually trying to put a good product out again.

In case you can’t tell, I’m really mad about this.

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

While I understand the hurricane season concern, being a Florida resident, July is hurricane season too.  If we planned events around hurricane season, nothing would occur between June and October...

But look at this chart:

GKKfh6a.jpg

The green line is roughly the old date, and the blue is roughly the new date. Yes, there was always a chance of a hurricane impacting the race in July, but late August-early September has a MUCH greater chance of tropical storms and hurricanes. Obviously avoiding hurricane season entirely would mean dropping the second date, and that’s not gonna happen, but where it was was much better in terms of the likelihood of being effected by a storm. 

The full NASCAR Cup Series schedule for 2020:

Date    Track
Sunday, Feb. 9    The Clash
Thursday, Feb. 13    Duels at Daytona
Sunday, Feb. 16    Daytona 500
Sunday, Feb. 23    Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Sunday, March 1    Auto Club Speedway
Sunday, March 8    ISM Raceway
Sunday, March 15    Atlanta Motor Speedway
Sunday, March 22    Homestead-Miami Speedway
Sunday, March 29    Texas Motor Speedway
Sunday, April 5    Bristol Motor Speedway
Sunday, April 12    OFF
Sunday, April 19    Richmond Raceway
Sunday, April 26    Talladega Superspeedway
Sunday, May 3    Dover International Speedway
Saturday, May 9    Martinsville Speedway
Saturday, May 16    All-Star Race at Charlotte
Sunday, May 24    Charlotte Motor Speedway
Sunday, May 31    Kansas Speedway
Sunday, June 7    Michigan International Speedway
Sunday, June 14    Sonoma Raceway
Sunday, June 21    Chicagoland Speedway
Saturday, June 27    Pocono Raceway
Sunday, June 28    Pocono Raceway
Sunday, July 5    Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Saturday, July 11    Kentucky Speedway
Sunday, July 19    New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Sunday, July 26    OFF
Sunday, Aug. 2    OFF
Sunday, Aug. 9    Michigan International Speedway
Sunday, Aug. 16    Watkins Glen International
Sunday, Aug. 23    Dover International Speedway
Saturday, Aug. 29    Daytona International Speedway
Sunday, Sept. 6    Darlington Raceway
Saturday, Sept. 12    Richmond Raceway
Saturday, Sept. 19    Bristol Motor Speedway
Sunday, Sept. 27    Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 4    Talladega Superspeedway
Sunday, Oct. 11    Charlotte Motor Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 18    Kansas Speedway
Sunday, Oct. 25    Texas Motor Speedway
Sunday, Nov. 1    Martinsville Speedway
Sunday, Nov. 8    ISM Raceway

hvmY186.png

So Texas just finished, Denny Hamlin gets his second win of the year after going winless in 2018. First, I want to say it was nice to see Jimmie Johnson running top 5-10 and leading early. I wasn’t a big fan of his back when he was on his big streak, but in the last couple years, I really matured and just started to appreciate how great he was, so seeing him compete after how bad last year was was nice. 

Second, I can’t be the only one that thought this was an incredible race, right? Maybe incredible is a little strong, but it was solid. All over social media, everyone is complaining about it. I thought there was plenty of action all day. Sure it slowed down and got spread out on long runs, but that happens everywhere. And all the varying fuel and tire strategies kept it intriguing all race. But even with all that, Twitter is 95% negative. Was I watching something else? Or is this just a case of people being negative just for the sake of being negative? 

Unless someone can tell me different, it looked like the only way to pass the leader was on pit road. I don’t think I saw a single green flag lead change the whole race. Even if the leader was clearly slower like Johnson was at the beginning of the day.

His retirement was long overdue in my book. But I'll definitely miss the BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY start.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

13 hours ago, selby56 said:

It may have been time for him to hang it up to be honest, but doesn't mean he won't be missed. I wonder who will replace him.

Larry Mac most likely, or Jamie Mac. Larry was kinda pushed out of the booth when Gordon came in and only really did the cut away car and such. Now I see him going back, he’s a few year younger than DW and still has a great technical knowledge of the race cars. Jamie came in this year more as an analyst on race day, and the FS1 programming through the week but could see him getting moved up.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, buzzcut said:

His retirement was long overdue in my book. But I'll definitely miss the BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY start.

Two years, by his own admission.  The last two years DW has been like that grandfather who tells stories and you just want to scream, "Give us the Reader's Digest version!"  And because of that, Fox is why DW regressed into grandpa mode.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived