2019 NASCAR Thread

Gary

On 4/5/2019 at 1:10 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I’ll miss ”ol’ Dee-Dubuhyuh”. He can be annoying at times, but he also had some great insight. 

Too many "Grandpa telling stories too long" moments, and jumping over Gordon when he has specific information.  This, like I said before, is mostly on Fox and their "brilliant" tv team. 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nascar-monster-energy-tiered-sponsorship-model

Nascar has reportedly rejected an offer from Monster Energy to extend its title sponsorship of the US stock car racing series in order to push ahead with a new tiered partnership model.

According to the Sports Business Journal, the energy drink brand offered to extend its deal for an additional year to give Nascar more time to finalise its sponsorship restructure. However, Nascar has apparently turned down that option to keep moving forward with the new model, with Monster now in talks about becoming a lower-level partner.

Wow Martin Truex Jr won on a short track! Did you know that he hadn’t before this? It took 81 tries wow, I can’t believe Fox hadn’t said anything about that. Maybe someone should tell them so they can mention that before tonight he had never won on a short track. 

I'll be honest; I haven't paid any attention to this year's campaign. Probably because I don't exactly have a favorite driver anymore, since AJ retired at the end of last season.

I mean, there are a couple of guys I have a rooting interest in (Blaney, DiBenedetto), but neither has gotten to the point of being the new top dog in the doghouse. Maybe it's me still holding out hope AJ returns; but the past few years have been extremely frustrating and pessimistic rooting for him. Because in the back of my mind I knew something bad was going to happen to the team. Because bad luck and misfortune always seemed to find a way to occur.

Now I'm back working my seasonal job at the local minor league baseball stadium, I'm not going to be able to watch most of the races. But, since I wasn't really watching them to begin with, am I really missing out?

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

4 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Jimmie Johnson is apparently running in the Boston Marathon today. 

And they say drivers aren't athletes.  

Finished in under 3 hours 10 minutes. 

Received many Tweets from drivers.  This is the frontrunner for best.

https://twitter.com/KyleLarsonRacin/status/1117880206482530304

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On 4/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, Needschat said:

Finished in under 3 hours 10 minutes. 

Received many Tweets from drivers.  This is the frontrunner for best.

https://twitter.com/KyleLarsonRacin/status/1117880206482530304

I dislike Johnson or any car wearing a bowtie, but big congratulations to him!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly good race at Talladega. I was a little worried that everyone would run single file scared of the new package, but they actually mixed it up a decent amount. But good lord, that broadcast was terrible. Welcome back from commercial, now a quick word from Duracell, alright, we’ll be back after this break. I know they have to do commercials, but it’s been extremely bad this year and today seemed worse than usual. Oh well, still a good race even with sub-par broadcasting. Great win Chase #Di9

Effective immediately, qualifying on ovals will return to single car qualifying in all three series.

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2019/05/01/nascar-returns-to-single-car-qualifying-at-all-oval-tracks/

NASCAR officials announced Wednesday that all three national series will return to single-car qualifying at all oval tracks.

The rules change ends a run of five-plus years for the group qualifying format, which was introduced before the 2014 season. The group qualifying system will remain for the series’ three road-course events.

At oval tracks larger than 1.25 miles (Darlington Raceway and larger), teams will determine the starting lineup with a single timed qualifying lap. At tracks 1.25 miles and shorter (World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway and smaller), teams will start on the basis of the best of two timed single-car laps.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, AustinFomBoston said:

Jimmie Johnson is apparently running in the Boston Marathon today. 

And they say drivers aren't athletes.  

In high school my brother would have this argument with a friend, and the friend would always say:

"You can't tell me that Sterling Marlin is an athlete."

Touche.

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Effective immediately, qualifying on ovals will return to single car qualifying in all three series.

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2019/05/01/nascar-returns-to-single-car-qualifying-at-all-oval-tracks/

Good, group qualifying was stupid, and just another thing Brian France created to try to create excitement. Nothing was wrong with single car qualifying, and it’s pretty much impossible to mess up, or scheme your way to a faster time.

Back to back second place finishes for Alex Bowman. I am not a fan of Hendrick as a whole, but I wouldn't mind seeing Bowman get a victory. Seems like a nice guy that really had to grind to get where he is now. 

T1oYViW.png

• 2 months later...

Well the result of yesterdays race was certainly something. Honestly if you're Justin Haley how do you feel about this win? I know he has worked to get this far in his career and will take a win anyway he can get it, but it has to feel a little cheap for your first Cup series win to come like this right? Especially this early into your career. 

T1oYViW.png

29 minutes ago, selby56 said:

Well the result of yesterdays race was certainly something. Honestly if you're Justin Haley how do you feel about this win? I know he has worked to get this far in his career and will take a win anyway he can get it, but it has to feel a little cheap for your first Cup series win to come like this right? Especially this early into your career. 

A win's a win; no matter how you slice it. Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.

This is a top 5 upset in the sports' history. Less surprising than Cope or Bayne. But, I would say more surprising than Jamie Mac or David Ragan.

1) Derrike Cope (1990 Daytona 500)*

2) Trevor Bayne (2011 Daytona 500)

3) Justin Haley (2019 Firecracker 400)

4) Jamie McMurray (2002 UAW-GM Quality 500)

5) David Ragan (2013 Aaron's 499)

Honorable Mentions:

• Brad Keselowski (2009 Aaron's 499)
  • Greg Sacks (1985 Pepsi Firecracker 400)
  • Morgan Shepherd (1981 Virginia 500)
  • Jody Ridley (1981 Mason-Dixon 500)
  • Ron Bouchard (1981 Talladega 500)

*- Cope's win at Daytona in 1990 will forever be the sports biggest upset until the heat death of the universe.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived