2019 NASCAR Thread

Gary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

A win's a win; no matter how you slice it. Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.

This is a top 5 upset in the sports' history. Less surprising than Cope or Bayne. But, I would say more surprising than Jamie Mac or David Ragan.

1) Derrike Cope (1990 Daytona 500)*

2) Trevor Bayne (2011 Daytona 500)

3) Justin Haley (2019 Firecracker 400)

4) Jamie McMurray (2002 UAW-GM Quality 500)

5) David Ragan (2013 Aaron's 499)

Honorable Mentions:

• Brad Keselowski (2009 Aaron's 499)
  • Greg Sacks (1985 Pepsi Firecracker 400)
  • Morgan Shepherd (1981 Virginia 500)
  • Jody Ridley (1981 Mason-Dixon 500)
  • Ron Bouchard (1981 Talladega 500)

*- Cope's win at Daytona in 1990 will forever be the sports biggest upset until the heat death of the universe.

I disagree with Bayne’s win being a bigger surprise. He had a fast car all during speedweeks. A few things bounced his way during the race sure, but he was fast and earned that win to a degree. It wasn’t like he fell ass backwards into a victory like Chris Buescher did at Pocono or Haley just did. Haley’s average running position yesterday was 31st. It was literally the perfect storm of half the field wrecking, everyone ahead of him pitting under caution, and lightning striking half a lap before the restart. 

T1oYViW.png

1 hour ago, selby56 said:

I disagree with Bayne’s win being a bigger surprise. He had a fast car all during speedweeks. A few things bounced his way during the race sure, but he was fast and earned that win to a degree. It wasn’t like he fell ass backwards into a victory like Chris Buescher did at Pocono or Haley just did. Haley’s average running position yesterday was 31st. It was literally the perfect storm of half the field wrecking, everyone ahead of him pitting under caution, and lightning striking half a lap before the restart. 

It shows how stupid a tactic blocking is. And how if a bad block is thrown at the front of the field; congratulations said bad block thrower. You just wiped out over half the field.

And when I think about blocking, I'm reminded of Tony Stewart and how hypocritical he was. He said he'd never block anyone. Yet, he did pretty much the exact same thing Austin Dillon did (2012 Fall Talladega) and wiped out 20+ cars and gave Junior the concussion that eventually forced him to consider retirement.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 minute ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

It shows how stupid a tactic blocking is. And how if a bad block is thrown at the front of the field; congratulations said bad block thrower. You just wiped out over half the field.

And when I think about blocking, I'm reminded of Tony Stewart and how hypocritical he was. He said he'd never block anyone. Yet, he did pretty much the exact same thing Austin Dillon did (2012 Fall Talladega) and wiped out 20+ cars and gave Junior the concussion that eventually forced him to consider retirement.

I've rarely ever seen blocking work out. Either you cause a huge wreck, or the guy just pits you and knocks you out (like Austin Dillon did to Almirola last year in the Daytona 500)  

Also, to address the elephant in the room on this subject, blocking is what lead to Earnhardt Sr getting killed. 

13 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Tony Stewart, for as talented as he was in his prime, was the ultimate hypocrite. He as the biggest preacher of "give and take" early in the race, but there were many times he would race someone too hard in the first 50 laps or he would flat out dump them. 

T1oYViW.png

2 hours ago, selby56 said:

Tony Stewart, for as talented as he was in his prime, was the ultimate hypocrite. He as the biggest preacher of "give and take" early in the race, but there were many times he would race someone too hard in the first 50 laps or he would flat out dump them. 

And he killed a guy so

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

Tony obviously never wanted to kill Kevin Ward, but when you angrily charge at a motor vehicle (and your toxicology report shows you were under the influence of marijuana), you run the risk of death or serious injury.

You can say "heat of the moment", but that doesn't excuse his behavior.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

3 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Tony obviously never wanted to kill Kevin Ward, but when you angrily charge at a motor vehicle (and your toxicology report shows you were under the influence of marijuana), you run the risk of death or serious injury.

You can say "heat of the moment", but that doesn't excuse his behavior.

I don’t even think he was trying to run anywhere close to him, but when you are in the racing groove of a dirt track at night you can basically expect to get hit.

Archived