Sign in to follow this  
JJ Anderes

2020 NHL Stadium Series Concept

Recommended Posts

The NHL is returning to a US military service academy for the second time in three years. I was very disappointed the Stadium Series uniforms in 2018, especially Toronto's, and they looked even worse in person while I was at that game. Aside from the colors (Toronto went all white to represent the Canadian Navy, Capitals went navy blue for obvious reasons), the uniforms were minimally creative. For this concept for both the Avalanche and the Kings, I created something in stark contrast to each team's primary uniforms, yet something that represents the respective areas of each team and includes subtle details that pay homage to the hosting service academy. At the same time, I tried to keep the minimalistic look of the stadium series logos in the past.

 

cdef7469954ecc732b2e85aeb386b55b6f60e685

9b554772d1db0553d0e271f4b5d9d70c2db196a4e917d2265335dcfa4ccc647361d2a0adc281f5c6

f8da70ca60d47f3a4c8fe4a928fa709631a618bd29c81b03c992ed255dcfe8ac589fc0418511b277

 

Digital camo is a huge factor, and colorado's secondary logo is modeled after a decal found on many air force jets. Most of the military inspiration is in the uniforms, which will come later, but first I'm curious what the opinions are on the logos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JJ Anderes said:

The NHL is returning to a US military service academy for the second time in three years. I was very disappointed the Stadium Series uniforms in 2018, especially Toronto's, and they looked even worse in person while I was at that game. Aside from the colors (Toronto went all white to represent the Canadian Navy, Capitals went navy blue for obvious reasons), the uniforms were minimally creative. For this concept for both the Avalanche and the Kings, I created something in stark contrast to each team's primary uniforms, yet something that represents the respective areas of each team and includes subtle details that pay homage to the hosting service academy. At the same time, I tried to keep the minimalistic look of the stadium series logos in the past.

 

cdef7469954ecc732b2e85aeb386b55b6f60e685

9b554772d1db0553d0e271f4b5d9d70c2db196a4e917d2265335dcfa4ccc647361d2a0adc281f5c6

f8da70ca60d47f3a4c8fe4a928fa709631a618bd29c81b03c992ed255dcfe8ac589fc0418511b277

 

Digital camo is a huge factor, and colorado's secondary logo is modeled after a decal found on many air force jets. Most of the military inspiration is in the uniforms, which will come later, but first I'm curious what the opinions are on the logos.

Looks good, but the SOCAL logo is tough to make out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colorado secondary is inspired. Love it. Camo repaints—I’d kind of expect the league to do something like that at this point (especially after the color rush game this year). I’d say you handled it pretty tastefully, and the colors—although screaming 90s roller hockey league—are really pretty nice. The SoCal patch doesn’t make any sense though. You’re not really calling out SoCal as a region if you’re conveying the whole state to make that statement. Maybe put a star where LA is on that map like the 80s California Angels logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 12:07 AM, panthers_2012 said:

Looks good, but the SOCAL logo is tough to make out. 

 

On 3/27/2019 at 8:47 AM, appleclock said:

The Colorado secondary is inspired. Love it. Camo repaints—I’d kind of expect the league to do something like that at this point (especially after the color rush game this year). I’d say you handled it pretty tastefully, and the colors—although screaming 90s roller hockey league—are really pretty nice. The SoCal patch doesn’t make any sense though. You’re not really calling out SoCal as a region if you’re conveying the whole state to make that statement. Maybe put a star where LA is on that map like the 80s California Angels logo.

 

 

 

I tried including a star to locate the city of LA but I couldn't make it look right. I'm thinking about just not including the logo on the uniform.

 

Any other comments before I show the uniforms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Avs' secondary logo is a thing of beauty. The Kings' secondary, while inspired, looked like it said "SQUAL" at first. I think that can be fixed with a little bit of perspective, as the S sits straight up, and the A & L are at an angle. If they were all facing the same direction, it'd read a lot better.

 

Excited to see the uniforms!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @Zeus89725 about the Kings secondary; it's kinda squished and awkward. The primary looks clean, though.

 

That air force insignia Colorado logo is really clever! You ought to put that one front and center, and you can have the camo for the striping.

 

Look forward to uniforms!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay but here they are...

 

3faac5e3599217007fbd4e8552b61b2e71227839

04ceb91db867eaecba6f0aa00d690a4cabc32455

 

Any comments & suggestions are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're both solid looks, but a bit similar to each other, given the same font.

 

A touch of yellow for LA and a touch of burgundy for Colorado might help, and/or military chevrons for striping on one jersey...

 

Still, nice work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vtgco said:

They're both solid looks, but a bit similar to each other, given the same font.

 

A touch of yellow for LA and a touch of burgundy for Colorado might help, and/or military chevrons for striping on one jersey...

 

Still, nice work!

 

100% Agree. The designs are slick and the way the pattern is incorporated is real nice, but a secondary color on each of the jerseys would really make 'em pop. The captain patch is also really clever, as are the Cup patches on LA's jersey, and the number on LA's helmet. I also think the back number and maybe the logo on the Avs' jersey should be blue or burgundy. White fades in too much with the jersey itself.

 

All in all, the unis are really solid, but a few splashes of color would turn 'em from a 7/10 to a 10/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this