Eagles want Kelly Green Jersey in 2020

Sec19Row53

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jgiff17 said:

The nfl is losing tons of money with losing out on the throwback games 

I think you might be overstating this a bit.

1 hour ago, jgiff17 said:

Also I’ve still not gotten answer regarding a wrap on the helmet. Similar to the car wraps couldn’t teams just wrap the whole helmet in a throwback helmet and then change the facemask?

I guess it might be possible but I'm not sure it would be worth it to anyone to go to all that trouble.

5 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

Also I’ve still not gotten answer regarding a wrap on the helmet. Similar to the car wraps couldn’t teams just wrap the whole helmet in a throwback helmet and then change the facemask?

Well that would go against what Gothamite said regarding the rule being about branding and not safety.  

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Why should colleges care about it?  Their players aren’t unionized, and the effects of CTE are more likely to surface long down the road, when the schools can claim plausible deniability. 

If your standard is really “the NCAA ignores the problem, so it must not be a problem”, then we’ve got a long list of things to talk about.  

Here's the thing...my gut (my gut is the best gut) says that the one helmet rule is not likely meaningful regarding mitigating risks.  That said, I don't think the burden of proof needs to be on the NFL to prove it.  There's no harm in the one-helmet rule.  There's a slim chance of harm without it.  So it makes sense, even if it's probably more of a PR move.

Speaking of colleges, look at how often some of them change uniforms.  Their football teams are not as recognizable as they used to be.  They are watering down their looks, which is the very thing I suspect the NFL is actually trying to avoid here.  A team's helmet is probably more recognizable than its primary logo.  Maybe not as big of a deal in college, where you have mascots (that have a bigger presence than pro mascots), bands, other sports, etc.  But the helmet is probably the most important team identity item there is.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

23 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I almost wouldn't mind them doing a double green. Replace the black with Kelly Green, but then I feel like that would feel off on the current set, especially since the midnight green feels closer to a teal. But I could see it working a bit.

I've thought about that myself, where Kelly green would be restored as the primary color, and midnight green would replace black.  Maybe darken the latter, and it could work.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

53 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

I've thought about that myself, where Kelly green would be restored as the primary color, and midnight green would replace black.  Maybe darken the latter, and it could work.

That's actually better than what I was thinking. Kelly green as an accent would look too off, with the lighter color being the base and the darker color being the accent comes off much more balanced.

2 hours ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

Hey Eagles, I got an idea. Why don't you just permanently switch to Kelly Green instead of your drab fake "green". 

For one thing, not everyone dislikes the current uniforms.  They're this owner's "thing", and I can't see him walking away from that as long as he runs things.

One of the reasons given at the time ('96) for changing the greens was that they looked too much like the Jets, who were also wearing kelly green trimmed with black.  It'd be pretty ironic if the Jets switched back to kelly and then the Eagles followed suit a year or two later.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

That was the idea with this: https://www.gamedayskinz.com/how-it-works (Paul also did an ESPN article on it). But part of the issue with it is that helmet companies aren't behind the idea because the skin would void the warranty or something along those lines, and it a broader sense it would mean that if a team (say Oregon) would buy these as opposed to more helmets and their profit would go down.

The one helmet rule isn't fun, but as @OnWis97 said, its probably a PR move & to protect the brand of the team.

I'm not sure if it's known what effect the wraps have on the friction on impact, like if the wraps prevent the helmets from sliding off of each other.  I don't blame helmet companies for considering that a warranty-voiding thing.

Godsdammit now I'm doing it.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Which rule?  There are two helmet rules germane to this conversation, although they are often conflated.

Well the rule of branding being the reason. I don't even acknowledge the safety rule since it's been proven that players use multiple helmets anyway. It's a false narrative.  

Like the article said, if they can bring that color back as an Alternate look....cool. Nice, misleading thread title.

As a fan of the Eagles for 35 years, I want them to stay with their current unis. If they could lose some black, and bring in some gray/silver....perfect.

And their current dull Midnight Green looks soooo much better than when they sported a shiny Midnight Green a couple of years back.

9 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Well the rule of branding being the reason. I don't even acknowledge the safety rule since it's been proven that players use multiple helmets anyway. It's a false narrative.  

It’s not a false narrative, if a player chooses to switch helmets that’s one thing, whether it be to go to a more comfortable helmet or his got damaged. But when a team forces a player to wear a different helmet is the issue at that point it puts liability on the nfl and team, a player can’t sue himself because of a decision he made but you better believe he’ll sue someone that makes him wear something that potentially created a greater risk.

7 hours ago, dont care said:

It’s not a false narrative, if a player chooses to switch helmets that’s one thing, whether it be to go to a more comfortable helmet or his got damaged. But when a team forces a player to wear a different helmet is the issue at that point it puts liability on the nfl and team, a player can’t sue himself because of a decision he made but you better believe he’ll sue someone that makes him wear something that potentially created a greater risk.

To hide under the lie of safety is disingenuous and makes other claims less believable. Let's just be honest and admit that the NFL doesn't want teams to change the color of their helmets. 

3 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

To hide under the lie of safety is disingenuous and makes other claims less believable. Let's just be honest and admit that the NFL doesn't want teams to change the color of their helmets. To remove liability from a law suit

FTFY

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

To hide under the lie of safety is disingenuous and makes other claims less believable. Let's just be honest and admit that the NFL doesn't want teams to change the color of their helmets. 

But the NFL has said that.  That’s why they instituted the first rule, which we learned about in 2002. 

That is totally separate from the safety issue, which was announced in 2013.

Why are we still conflating the two unrelated rules?  That’s the only disingenuous argument. 

Archived