NHL What If... the North Stars stayed in Minnesota (2013-Present)

TheLAKnight

What if certain teams/franchises in the NHL never rebranded or moved cities? Many other people have done their own renditions, so I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring too.

Starting off, what if the LA Kings never adopted the colors of their then neighbors the LA Raiders?

In 1988, at the introductory press conference for Wayne Gretzky no less, the Kings unveiled their brand new logo, jersey, and colors. If they hadn't changed the latter, what would the Great One's jersey have looked like?

Rather than just recolor the logo from that era, I took the logo used in promotional materials throughout the '80s and cleaned it up. The speed lines are gone for an overall cleaner look to the KINGS text. The striping pattern on the jersey mimics the outlines of the logo and fits with the aesthetics of the time

spacer.png spacer.png

Version 1 - Single outlined numbers

spacer.png

Version 2 - Double outlined numbers

C&C is always appreciated. Tomorrow, the Kings introduce their first alternate jersey!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this what if was the kings modern logo in purple in gold......

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

17 hours ago, appleclock said:

I think this is a very believable alternative to the Gretzky black and silver, IF you kept the speed lines. The aesthetic of the day was still zany and whimsical, not soulless and corporate yet (cough cough late 90s/2000s).

They don't look too bad, especially on the white jersey, but the outline on the purple jersey seems weird. Having the sides closed like the real black and silver version kept the outline from weighing down the left side.

spacer.png spacer.png

In 1996, the Kings introduced one the strangest jerseys of all time. It reintroduced purple and gold for the first time in 8 years in the logo and numbers. They wore the jersey with their regular home helmet, socks, and pants.

In this timeline, the Kings bring back a gold jersey, but add black to the color scheme. Like the Canucks, they wear solid colored socks and their road helmet. The King's crown is also the same color as the jersey as opposed to the metallic gold of the original.

spacer.png

Moving on to the early 2000's, the Kings darken their colors and add black full time. The logos are basically recolors of their shield and crown as those wouldn't necessary change design just because they didn't switch to black and silver. 

To differentiate the originals from this set, the stripes on the arms move to the cuffs to match the hem. So as not to look like St. Louis, the gold stripe is much thicker.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Tomorrow, a few subtle changes in 2002.

Decided to post the rest of this new timeline starting with the same crest swap in 2002. The crown becomes the primary, the numbers on the purple jersey become white because there's just not enough contrast with the purple, and the socks swap for the two dark jerseys.

spacer.png 

With the switch to Reebok in 2007, the changes are similar to what happened in real life with the hem stripe going away, but the LOS ANGELES staying. The cuffs are curved similar to what happened to St. Louis.

spacer.png

When the Kings introduce a new alternate jersey, they somewhat go back to their roots by dropping black and bringing back the striping pattern from the '90s. I wasn't sure which looked better so I'll leave it up to you. While this is certainly not the best logo they could have gone with (since it's basically just a recolor), coming up with a suitable replacement wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. I'm open to suggestions though! 

spacer.png     spacer.png

On 4/4/2019 at 6:54 PM, Blindsay said:

How about you do what if the isles went back to teal?

That's a good idea. I'll start looking into how things might have shaken out.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:00 PM, ChiCity95 said:

Can you do a variant using the Kings' 1988 logo (the Chevy-looking one)?

I'm busy most of this week, but I'll have a few more alternate takes, so I'll that to the list.

• 4 months later...

I've been sitting on some of the suggestions for a while. I have an Islanders concept with teal, not a full timeline, and I have most of the what if the Canucks kept using the SiR (not sure where to go with it in the early 2000s). I did however finish the what if the North Stars never moved...

First off, other than the removal of the word DALLAS, the uniforms follow the same trajectory had the team not moved. They keep the black heavy set that they introduced in 1991, darken the green and make the stripes thicker, then switch to the star template in 1999.

Spoiler

Stars02.png  Stars05.png

One change is the introduction of a Minnesota patch in the same vein as the real life Texas patch.

gUdMqfK.png eGrjPxL.png

In 2003, the North Stars introduce a black third jersey with an animal head as the crest. They would wear it until the Reebok Edge era.

vkSuxxg.png

With the new jersey cuts, the star template is no longer viable, the team is forced to redesign their uniform. They take the opportunity to finally add the word NORTH to their logo. They would later add a MINNESOTA wordmark on their new third jersey.

NRXKHXG.png lm3gbFz.png

drk08zu.png

This set takes cues from the Stars' awful Edge jerseys as well as the Wild's original set and alternate.

The North Stars embrace the faux/throwback trend in the next update!

It's been a while, but C&C is always appreciated! Other what if scenarios are also welcome and I will hopefully get to them without a 5 month hiatus this time.

Archived