Australian A-League: MORE CLUBS! Napier added 10/23

mcrosby

Agree on the A/n front, though I do like it stylized. It's a cool badge shape and I like what you've done with the animals in the middle. Would also like seeing the original logos for comparison - since most of us aren't up to date on our A-League logos...but great work so far! Keep it up!

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/31/2019 at 7:08 PM, mcrosby said:

Once upon a time Brisbane was home to clubs called Brisbane Rovers and Pineapple Rovers, and that's just wonderful. 

OmIkCgr.png

This team needs to become a reality so they can have a friendly with Forward Madison. I love this badge and can't wait for the full kit look!

On 3/30/2019 at 9:11 AM, mcrosby said:

After finishing off my Canadian Premier League series I had the association football itch, so I found the next league to expand and rebrand: the Australian A-League. 

Much like @raysox did for his A-League series, I reached out to the Expand the A-League twitter account for some help, and have had heaps of it. For now, I'm going with 24 Aussie clubs, to be split between two leagues. I may add 4 Kiwi clubs at the end of the series, but I'm still on the fence with that. Like the CPL series, this will be a mix of rebranded teams, reborn teams, and completely new teams. Below is a map of the planned league, which like most things Australian, is heavily weighted in the Southeast. 

UkslJYr.jpg

The first club up, a rebrand of Perth Glory. I wanted a black (purple) swan somewhere in the league, and Perth seemed the perfect fit. the sunburst from the original logo has been demoted to a portion of the wordmark.

wY9FjzE.png

And the second club, an expansion in Gold Coast. Renowned for its surfing, GC deserves something bright and fun. Curl felt like a perfect mix of soccer and surf.

TxVPzAq.png

I've got about 9 others logos complete at the moment, but I'll need some help with name/logo ideas for those I haven't done yet. Stay tuned!

I love the logo, but I'm not huge on the name tbh. I think tapping the Surfing culture is a rad idea, but if it were me I think i'd just go with Gold Coast Surf. But that's just me, and this logo is :censored:ing fantastic.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, chestnutz said:

Would also like seeing the original logos for comparison - since most of us aren't up to date on our A-League logos.

I've got any originals - albeit quite small - on the left of each presentation. 

3 hours ago, WBeltz said:

This team needs to become a reality so they can have a friendly with Forward Madison. I love this badge and can't wait for the full kit look!

UP THE 'GOS!!!!!! I'm a Madisonian and cannot begin to express how excited I am for the club. I've also been credited with starting the #fullmingo hashtag. 

These next two are the last two I have completed thus far. I've struggled for inspiration for some the remaining 12, so I'll be asking for help with those. 

First up: Canberra United. Their women's team is currently in the top tier women's league, with men playing in the state's top flight. The logo is a heavily stylized representation of the parliament building. 

oV0Szps.png

Next up is a rebrand of the Central Coast Mariners. @raysox had a fantastic anchor logo for his redesign, so I had to go a different direction. I stuck with 2 color +white, but could see adding a light blue. 

1OU0A6p.png

As for remaining clubs. Here are the cities and possible names I'm thinking of. Let me know what you think, what would be better, and what you would do for a logo. 

Sydney Western Sydney Wanderers
Sydney Macarthur Rangers
Melbourne Melbourne City Heart FC
Melbourne ?
Adelaide Adelaide United
Hobart Tasmania United
Newcastle Newcastle Jets
Wollongong Wollongong Wolves FC
Ipswich Ipswich Pride
Townsville Townsville Nomads
Geelong Geelong Greys
Darwin Top End FC

On 4/2/2019 at 5:01 PM, mcrosby said:

Ballarat, modeled after the Eureka Rebellion flag. 

81DLH7e.png

I really like this, but I'm not a fan of the typeface.  Also, the lower text is off-center.

The Canberra crest is fantastic, though it'd be kinda cool if you eliminated one of the lines in the lower portion (and the nub) so that the total number of lines is eleven.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Quality work, as usual.

In my opinion, Ballarat 1854 FC, Perth Glory, and Racing FC Fremantle are the standouts to this point. I also like the Melbourne Victory FC and Sydney FC logos.

As for names for some of the remaining clubs, I like Hobart Town for the Tasmanian side. It has a traditional ring to it (think Huddersfield Town, Ipswich Town, Luton Town, etc.) and was also the original name of the settlement that is now Hobart. 

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

As for names for some of the remaining clubs, I like Hobart Town for the Tasmanian side. It has a traditional ring to it (think Huddersfield Town, Ipswich Town, Luton Town, etc.) and was also the original name of the settlement that is now Hobart. 

I like Hobart Town. Any ideas for the logo? 

Still searching for inspiration on just about every other club. Keep the C&C coming.

13 hours ago, Mockba said:

I really like this, but I'm not a fan of the typeface.  Also, the lower text is off-center.

Noticed that just after posting. Will fix. 

13 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I'd like to continue the MLS, but I'd like to finish this one first. Got any name/logo ideas for the remaining cities? 

maybe Townsville cutters because of the sugar cane industry in northern queensland

This is one of those threads that I look at and part of me is inspired to do great work, and part of me is like, man, I will never get to that point. This stuff is fantastic.

XcryMwi.png

On 4/5/2019 at 8:57 PM, mcrosby said:

What are your thoughts on a vaguely Tasmanian Tiger look for Hobart?

Personally, your Tasmanian Tiger-inspired crest strikes me as too modern to be paired with a name as traditional as Hobart Town. I think the Hobart Town identity would be best accompanied by a badge that's a bit more "classic" in terms of its component images and design. In other words, closer to Ballarat 1854 FC than to Canberra United.        

• 4 weeks later...

Never should have removed the Big V from the Victory logo, worst thing couldve done, especially since its now incorporated into the M, never should have done that, otherwise, prety good concept, but forcing way too many Australian animals and "things" into the series, ruin it for all Aussies. The Perth one was nice, but the cassowary is too far, even if the concept is a killer. The only downer is the Victory one, but if you put the logo into a full circle and have the V extend to the edge, its a better look and still respects Victorian history

Archived