Australian A-League: MORE CLUBS! Napier added 10/23

mcrosby

After finishing off my Canadian Premier League series I had the association football itch, so I found the next league to expand and rebrand: the Australian A-League. 

Much like @raysox did for his A-League series, I reached out to the Expand the A-League twitter account for some help, and have had heaps of it. For now, I'm going with 24 Aussie clubs, to be split between two leagues. I may add 4 Kiwi clubs at the end of the series, but I'm still on the fence with that. Like the CPL series, this will be a mix of rebranded teams, reborn teams, and completely new teams. Below is a map of the planned league, which like most things Australian, is heavily weighted in the Southeast. 

UkslJYr.jpg

The first club up, a rebrand of Perth Glory. I wanted a black (purple) swan somewhere in the league, and Perth seemed the perfect fit. the sunburst from the original logo has been demoted to a portion of the wordmark.

wY9FjzE.png

And the second club, an expansion in Gold Coast. Renowned for its surfing, GC deserves something bright and fun. Curl felt like a perfect mix of soccer and surf.

TxVPzAq.png

I've got about 9 others logos complete at the moment, but I'll need some help with name/logo ideas for those I haven't done yet. Stay tuned!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, alexandre said:

Your work is always great...and this is no different. What made Perth a perfect fit for the swan?

The black swan is the state bird and state emblem of Western Australia, and is featured on the flag. the concept of the black swan as an antipodean identity is not only very Australia, but in an East heavy league it's very fitting for WA. 

I’d love to see some NZ teams! I’m unfamiliar with the A-League other than the fact the I know it exists and Usain Bolt played, but this looks good. Are there are other football leagues you’d consider after Australia?

No comments? Hopefully the next few will get some more traction. 

First the updated map: 

tbkwcTz.png

Once upon a time Brisbane was home to clubs called Brisbane Rovers and Pineapple Rovers, and that's just wonderful. 

OmIkCgr.png

Cairns has a club called Cairns FC, though they're not top flight. I wanted to get a cassowary in this league somewhere, and Cairn is perfect for it. I went with a Tottenham style logo, so Come On You Murderbirds! COYM

2BV2e8f.png

Guest darkpiranha

Beautiful stuff so far.   The only one I'm iffy on is Racing Freemantle.  Not for anything wrong with what you have, but because that heraldic sea lion just looks so cool I'm wanting it to be featured more prominently.  

For the league logo, is that styling based on anything in particular?  It almost looks aboriginal.   But unless you created the entire font from scratch, I'm guessing it's just a modified A from the font you used for everything else.  

Currently the Opera House's shadowed sections blend into the sky, so it reads more like some kites than the iconic building. I think 3 shades of blue would be fine. The "FC" looks better, though!

100% agree with @darkpiranha's opinion on Fremantle.

Brisbane & Cairns are fun looks!

I don't know much about Australia, but given what I've heard, Murderbirds sounds about right... 😂

17 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

that heraldic sea lion just looks so cool I'm wanting it to be featured more prominently.  

For the league logo, is that styling based on anything in particular? 

I figure the sea lion mark can be used as a standalone as well, but the flag just works so well with the Racing moniker that I have to keep it.

The league logo is the classic Aussie 7 pointed star, with the A from the typeface integrated. I think it works well.

16 hours ago, vtgco said:

Currently the Opera House's shadowed sections blend into the sky, so it reads more like some kites than the iconic building. I think 3 shades of blue would be fine. The "FC" looks better, though!

I thought the opera house shape was iconic enough to blend in a bit more without being lost. Do others feel this way?

Two rebrands for y'all today. 

Brisbane Roar recently rebranded and have what might be the league's best look. So in the spirit of making some sort of change I made a few tweaks here and there and went for a VaTech colorway. 

hYW49th.png

Melbourne Victory have had great success in the A-League, and great success passing off their stolen Arsenal crest. The MV monogram seemed obvious to me, so I ran with that. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty :censored:e when it comes to bevels, but I think this works. The mark felt a bit lacking, so I threw in a flame...it felt victorious. 

qktWcEa.png

59 minutes ago, dakotapalm said:

I'll try to suggest a few Tasmanian/Hobart related names (not the Devils):

Celtics

Whalers

Ferns

Clippers

Yatchsmen

Tulips

Palawa

Thanks for the ideas! I'm also looking for Darwin name ideas. I've been leaning towards Top End FC, but I have no idea if a regional name would work for a Darwin club. 

Archived