Vintage MLB Pennant Designs - AL West added

chestnutz

Howdy there! 

Been a whole while since I've posted here. But lately I've been drawing up some vintage-inspired pennant designs for all the MLB teams! I love how pennants play with color, fonts, and trying to capture the essence of a team with a few simple shapes. I've had fun exploring different ways to showcase a team and elements of their brand, so to speak.

First up, my Jays and the AL East!

Boston - kept this extra simple, loved the way the text flowed into the home plate.

spacer.png

Blue Jays - Had a eureka moment when I realized I could get the J and the bird's chest shape to line up well. I'm biased but they have the best look in baseball, so it was fun thinking up a retro design for them.

spacer.png

Yankees - I wasn't going to give these guys a good nickname. I tried giving it an almost authoritarian look, the pinstripes and font lookin like 1930s-were-not-messing-around-mobster aesthetic. 

spacer.png

Baltimore - Kind of just split this into three sections, playing with shapes and of course a nod to the awesome Maryland flag.

spacer.png

Rays - Was so happy with how this one turned out. They have the blandest brand in the big leagues, I wish they never got rid of the Devil Rays name and look. So I combined a bunch of eras basically!

spacer.png

Cheers guys!

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

How about the empire or 27 strong for the Yankees ? Also what template do you use? Good work!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

20 hours ago, Blindsay said:

How about the empire or 27 strong for the Yankees ? Also what template do you use? Good work!

Thanks! No template, I made it myself. I hate the Yanks so I had to throw some shade. They should take pride in their dark side.

spacer.png

Hi guys! Back with some more designs, for the AL Central. Really happy with how these came out. I think they're a pretty unique way to think about how their designs could have looked decades ago!

Cleveland: Inspired by the flag of Ohio, I knew I wanted to stay away from any sort of Native American caricature, and I've always loved when they use feathers.

spacer.png

Detroit: This tiger might be one of my favorite things I've designed recently. Might expand the concept a bit and throw him inside a D. I wanted just boom, in your face classic design with big lettering, kind of a callback to the team's long history. Fun fact the tiger design initially started as a tattoo I wanted and sketched out for myself - then I thought it'd be a perfect fit to try out in this simpler vintage style. Add a ball in his mouth and voila, he's ready for fetch!

spacer.png

Chicago White Sox: This was a toughie, but I was inspired by their diagonal blackletter font treatment, and always loved their kind of flying sock concept. Four stars for the flag of Chicago and boom!

spacer.png

Kansas City: Wanted to keep this one simple, loved the nickname Crowntown. Honestly even though this KC monogram is so simple I love how the two letters look together.

spacer.png

Minnesota: had played with ideas of little twin characters on here, but ultimately scratched it. Went with some more Minnesota imagery, which oddly is something they kind of haven't done in their brand a lot (unlike the Wild and Timberwolves do) - so I wanted to bring in that northern starry night flair. Knew I wanted to do a cool script font as the focal point because I just love their script so much, and the layout of the letters just lined up perfectly, with the cross of the "t" and dot of the "i" creating the perfect ball and bat. 

spacer.png

Thanks for stopping by, up next is the AL West!

spacer.png

Already, this is one of my favorite concept series.  Love the vintage style... a great throwback to before everything got so regulated and sterile.  

I can't wait to see the NL Central!

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

These are all so well done. I would pay good money to display that White Sox one in my home!

Thanks! Considering making them pennants...but that'd be tough. Definitely likely to make little prints of them though! I'm pretty pumped though, the great guys at the Jaywalk (Toronto sports apparel site) are already going to turn the Jays one into a legit pennant! So I'm excited to see how that turns out...if well, then I may just have to make a bunch more myself!

3 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

That Detroit one is the best so far! Classic design and I love the tiger, it looks great

I'm definitely pumped to keep working on that concept and use that lil tiger for a bunch of stuff. I love him as if he were my own pet tiger. Cheers!

2 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

chestnutz...I LOVE these!!!... Great style...Great simple graphics! 👍👍

chewbarky...THANK you! It's been a while since I've posted on here as the past several years I've been doing much more client and illustrative work. So it's fun to come back to what I knew so many years ago and apply my new style to the sports world!

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Already, this is one of my favorite concept series.  Love the vintage style... a great throwback to before everything got so regulated and sterile.  

I can't wait to see the NL Central!

Thank you for the kind words! For sure, I'm psyched to tackle the Cardinals, Cubbies, Pirates, Brewers...ugh so many good names and design possibilities.

spacer.png

The twins one... where is the sense of twinning in there?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

I'm a particular fan of the Jays one you designed. I really like how the curved J looks with the jaybird perched on it (and I can see you have that same jaybird perched in your signature). I'm excited to see the NL pennants once you get there. Also, while most of these are town nicknames, I found it clever how you made the White Sox "South Side" to nail down an even more specific pride - it's not just Chicago, it's the South Side! Also, you were able to portray the spirit of a team by incorporating logo element ideas without just blatantly using a White Sox logo.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

55 minutes ago, Maroon said:

I'm a particular fan of the Jays one you designed. I really like how the curved J looks with the jaybird perched on it (and I can see you have that same jaybird perched in your signature). I'm excited to see the NL pennants once you get there. Also, while most of these are town nicknames, I found it clever how you made the White Sox "South Side" to nail down an even more specific pride - it's not just Chicago, it's the South Side! Also, you were able to portray the spirit of a team by incorporating logo element ideas without just blatantly using a White Sox logo.

Thank you! I'm pretty pumped about the Jays one - one of the big Toronto fan apparel websites is going to be producing it as an actual pennant for sale! Yeah I'm trying to use nicknames when I can - some have a bit cooler ones that are more applicable than others.

1 hour ago, JB Designs said:

I would replace the 5-pointed stars on the White Sox with 6-pointed stars, as are seen in the Chicago Flag

Good call!

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, finished up the American League!

Angels - Had to throw a fun lil of Anaheim in there, and always loved the ball with angel wings

spacer.png

Mariners - Went vertical here, inspired by their awesome 80s branding and simple waves that other Seattle teams have utilized (like the Sounders)

spacer.png

Astros - This might be one of my favorites, any excuse to do something space-related I'm gonna take it.

spacer.png

Athletics - Another one of my favorites, mainly because they have always had one of my favorite brands in sports - they need to utilize the elephant EVEN MOAR!

spacer.png

Rangers - This one speaks for itself haha, they have always had one of the blandest looks in sports to me

spacer.png

Cheers, can't wait to move on to the NL!

spacer.png

These are awesome! 😍

Your Blue Jays logo is beautiful, and I love your Yankees and Astros ones.

No complaints! Keep up the great work!

Archived