Are there any sports you simply don't "get?"

Quillz

4 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Well, drinking is a big part of Curling, lol.

Ā 

We're all drinking teams with curling problems.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was Cricket, but I made connections to baseball to familiarize it and after that I became comfortable enough with it. The key is to actually watch the scores being built, because the format like 276/5 is nonsense at first.

Then it was Aussie Rules. It looks like madness. But i did the same thing, and actually started playing with my local club.

For me, and this will be unpopular, but I donā€™t understand why people like baseball.Ā 

Ā 

You couldnā€™t pay me to sit and watch an entire game.Ā 

CowboysĀ -Ā LakersĀ -Ā LAFC - USMNTĀ -Ā LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFCĀ 

Gaelic football. I saw it once when I wasĀ in Dublin. Didn't understand a thing the whole time.

Ā 

For major sports, it has to be hockey. Call me a classic Floridian, but I never gained interest in the sport (due to not knowing how to skate until a few years ago) and all of its niches. Basically, I know it as "the northern/Canadian sport on ice where they're allowed to fight". I understand the game more now, but still not entirely.

ExJworW.png

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

E-ā€œsportsā€.

Ā 

Why any adult would want to watch another adult play video games is beyond me.Ā 

Ā 

I agree with this for the most part. I'm not really into esports, but I've enjoyed watching Rocket League or fighting game tournaments for a few minutes. Those are games that are pretty fun to watch because seeing people who are good play is way different from watching somebody like me play. I don't really watch a lot, maybe for a few minutes if I come across it.

Ā 

I don't enjoy watching FPS's, MOBA's, or sports games. MOBA's seem impenetrable (the baseball/cricket of esports), and watching people shoot each other is usually boring to watch, and the sports games are just worse versions of the real thing.

Ā 

I also find most of the culture around video game streaming to be baffling. It's not a "why would I watch video games instead of play?!" issue for me. Rather, it's that the people playing are woefully boring. There can be some fun in watching a stream, but 99% of streamers, even the popular ones, are about as interesting as standing in a long line before the advent of smartphones.

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Ā 

The Flyers are building a 3,500-seatĀ e-ā€œsportsā€ stadium in our sports complex. Itā€™ll be the home of the Phila Fusion ā€œteamā€.Ā 

Ā 

:censored:Ā Absurd.Ā Ā 

Ā 

esports-stadium.jpg

Ā 

How long will the "Fusion" even be around for? How popular will Overwatch even be in up to ten years? I know you could use the arena for other events, but the point is... is this allĀ really necessary for a small-ass team of video game nerds?

1 hour ago, TJKiddsHead said:

golf is the most unwatchable thing on television and i will never not feel that way.

This reminds me of the plot of the horrible Speed 2, when the protagonist figured out who the villain was. Because he wasn't watching golf on TV even though he had golf clubs in his room.

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

For me, and this will be unpopular, but I donā€™t understand why people like baseball.Ā 

Ā 

You couldnā€™t pay me to sit and watch an entire game.Ā 

I've pretty much accepted the idea that I don't even bother watching the MLB until around late August or so. By that point, the teams that are actually going to contend are doing just that, while everyone else is out of it and you don't have to bother. This also means you might get a glimpse of that one "hot" team that usually takes the wild card.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

If your ā€œsportā€Ā involvesĀ usingĀ a frisbee and there are noĀ dogs involved, I will not take it seriously.Ā 

Ā 

You done messed up, A.A. Ron!

Ā 

Ultimate frisbee is an absolutely remarkable spectator sport. The disc is big enough and slow-moving enough that following the action is easy. (In theseĀ respects, it is the anti-hockey.)

Ā 

And the players move in ways that are so satisfying. Every few seconds there is a play that combines the majesty of a Doug Flutie longĀ bombĀ with the grace of Willie Mays running down a long fly. And then there are the diving catches, straight out of 1969 Ron Swoboda, that happen several times a game.

Ā 

The channel Stadium, which I just recently got on my cable system,Ā is showing matches from the AUDL. This week it is showing the playoffs from last year ā€” thoughĀ in a weirdĀ order: the final match was on this afternoon; an early-round playoff game is on tonight at 11pm Eastern; and the two semi-finals are on Tuesday night and Thursday night at 11. Then, starting Saturday, the channel begins showing matches from the current season.

Ā 

I look forward to being able to watch this wonderful sport. And I hope that you will check it out, and realise the profoundĀ error of your ways.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Ā 

This looks pretty damn cool.
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Sounds like this sport is what happens when Basketball, Soccer and Handball had a drunken one stand with each other...

Ā 

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Gaelic football. I saw it once when I wasĀ in Dublin. Didn't understand a thing the whole time.

Ā 

For major sports, it has to be hockey. Call me a classic Floridian, but I never gained interest in the sport (due to not knowing how to skate until a few years ago) and all of its niches. Basically, I know it as "the northern/Canadian sport on ice where they're allowed to fight". I understand the game more now, but still not entirely.

I fell in love with hockey after moving TO Florida so that's not really an excuse. And the not being able to skate things doesn't make sense to me unless you're talking about playing. I have a bad knee, haven't skated in like 14 years but I still like hockey.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I fell in love with hockey after moving TO Florida so that's not really an excuse. And the not being able to skate things doesn't make sense to me unless you're talking about playing. I have a bad knee, haven't skated in like 14 years but I still like hockey.

And, weā€™re both way too tall to be on ice.

Ā 

...as I type this during the first intermission of the last game in our Kings quarter season package...

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Ā 

You done messed up, A.A. Ron!

Ā 

Ultimate frisbee is an absolutely remarkable spectator sport. The disc is big enough and slow-moving enough that following the action is easy. (In theseĀ respects, it is the anti-hockey.)

Ā 

And the players move in ways that are so satisfying. Every few seconds there is a play that combines the majesty of a Doug Flutie longĀ bombĀ with the grace of Willie Mays running down a long fly. And then there are the diving catches, straight out of 1969 Ron Swoboda, that happen several times a game.

Ā 

The channel Stadium, which I just recently got on my cable system,Ā is showing matches from the AUDL. This week it is showing the playoffs from last year ā€” thoughĀ in a weirdĀ order: the final match was on this afternoon; an early-round playoff game is on tonight at 11pm Eastern; and the two semi-finals are on Tuesday night and Thursday night at 11. Then, starting Saturday, the channel begins showing matches from the current season.

Ā 

I look forward to being able to watch this wonderful sport. And I hope that you will check it out, and realise the profoundĀ error of your ways.

Ā 

My username is GhettoFarmBoy and this is the whitest thing Iā€™ve ever read.

1. 15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

E-ā€œsportsā€.

Ā 

Why any adult would want to watch another adult play video games is beyond me.Ā 

Certain games I do enjoy watching

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Ā 

The Flyers are building a 3,500-seatĀ e-ā€œsportsā€ stadium in our sports complex. Itā€™ll be the home of the Phila Fusion ā€œteamā€.Ā 

Ā 

:censored:Ā Absurd.Ā Ā 

Ā 

esports-stadium.jpg

Yup im in philly and im going

Norfolk,VA Philadelphia,PA VMD,(Virginia Maryland DC)

Archived