Are there any sports you simply don't "get?"

Quillz

The thing that really gets me about E-sports is people in that avenue who are really trying to compare themselves to other sports. Sure as a pro you might get paid, but to really compare yourself to someone who’s playing in the NFL, that’s a huge joke... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is there any “local pride” in team esports like there is in real actual sports? “Oh I’ve been following his career since he was an 8-bit gamer in elementary school. I knew he’d be a 1st round pick” or “well he’s coming up on 30 so I don’t know if they’ll want to bring him back” or “I hope we can trade for Ultimat3Pwnz0r683 - he’ll put our Fusion over the top”. 

People want to spend their time watching other people play video games? I find gaming (not playing the occasional game of Madden with your friends, but actual gaming) to be an anti-social hobby, but do whatever you want, even if it means the human race will die out because nobody that sits in their parents basement watching gamers on YouTube will ever reproduce - but let’s not Pretend it’s a locally-based team sport in the same way a NFL team is. That’s the most absurd part of the whole thing. 

I also assume there’s a gambling aspect, which if so, would be even more depressing. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, LMU said:

NASCAR. I just can’t get into watching a bunch of cars driving in a circle for hours on end.

This thread was for sports, so this isn’t even relevant. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

People want to spend their time watching other people play video games? I find gaming (not playing the occasional game of Madden with your friends, but actual gaming) to be an anti-social hobby, but do whatever you want, even if it means the human race will die out because nobody that sits in their parents basement watching gamers on YouTube will ever reproduce - but let’s not Pretend it’s a locally-based team sport in the same way a NFL team is. That’s the most absurd part of the whole thing. 

The good thing about the SNES generation (mine) was that the inherent limitations were such that you eventually wanted to go do something else. Playing games with your friends was part of a balanced diet of screwing around. 

I've mentioned it before, but I can't wrap my head around real tennis. What is "laying a chase"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You done messed up, A.A. Ron!

Ultimate frisbee is an absolutely remarkable spectator sport. The disc is big enough and slow-moving enough that following the action is easy. (In these respects, it is the anti-hockey.)

And the players move in ways that are so satisfying. Every few seconds there is a play that combines the majesty of a Doug Flutie long bomb with the grace of Willie Mays running down a long fly. And then there are the diving catches, straight out of 1969 Ron Swoboda, that happen several times a game.

The channel Stadium, which I just recently got on my cable system, is showing matches from the AUDL. This week it is showing the playoffs from last year — though in a weird order: the final match was on this afternoon; an early-round playoff game is on tonight at 11pm Eastern; and the two semi-finals are on Tuesday night and Thursday night at 11. Then, starting Saturday, the channel begins showing matches from the current season.

I look forward to being able to watch this wonderful sport. And I hope that you will check it out, and realise the profound error of your ways.

Ok, let's say all this is true... Think how much better it could be if they added dogs.

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm too amused by "Jenova's Witnesses."

I'd be pissed too if some schmuck in a black robe knocked on my door on a Saturday morning to only scream "Reunion!" while I'm dealing with a hangover. 

Still, does feel like a generational difference when it comes to e-sports and I'm too old by a decade to get it. Not even 30 and I feel like a Boomer already.

Just now, Red Comet said:

Still, does feel like a generational difference when it comes to e-sports.

I'm 31, grew up with Genesis and NES and SNES and N64 and Xbox and all the playstations and all the computer games and e-sports is a completely baffling concept to me.

Even as a kid video games were never my thing and watching friends play video games was always a chore. The worst part of playing video games back in the day was waiting for your friend to die so it could be your turn. I don't enjoy basketball, but I get the appeal for some people. I have zero understanding of the appeal of watching other people play video games. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I'm 31, grew up with Genesis and NES and SNES and N64 and Xbox and all the playstations and all the computer games and e-sports is a completely baffling concept to me.

Even as a kid video games were never my thing and watching friends play video games was always a chore. The worst part of playing video games back in the day was waiting for your friend to die so it could be your turn. I don't enjoy basketball, but I get the appeal for some people. I have zero understanding of the appeal of watching other people play video games. 

You and I are in the same age range so I grew up with all that stuff too. Feel the same way because I always wanted it to be my turn. But, my little brother and sister had fun watching me play video games when they were younger so it wouldn't surprise me that E-Sports is definitely a Gen Z thing.

I don't watch e-sports, but is there really anything fundamentally different from people enjoying watching others who excel in their fields? How is e-sports so fundamentally different than golf? You're still passively watching someone else doing something.

When I was in high school I got into Formula 1 racing for about 20 minutes, but that was it for me and auto sports. Nothing against them; they're just not for me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I don't watch e-sports, but is there really anything fundamentally different from people enjoying watching others who excel in their fields? How is e-sports so fundamentally different than golf? You're still passively watching someone else doing something.

It's the difference between doing something yourself and operating within a simulacrum that other people have created. Someone making an amazing catch in football is performing on a different level than someone making an amazing catch in Madden. 

12 hours ago, GFB said:

My username is GhettoFarmBoy and this is the whitest thing I’ve ever read.

Image result for audl diving catch

That's some superhero sh-t right there; even O-Shag-Hennessy would agree.

I admit that the sport is not the most diverse in the world; it is indeed made up mostly of white guys.  But they aren't the corny kind of white guys!  Nor are they the jacked-up mulletted douchebros of lacrosse.  

No one could possibly fail to be moved by these amazing moments from the final season of Major League Ultimate, the former rival league to the AUDL.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's the difference between doing something yourself and operating within a simulacrum that other people have created. Someone making an amazing catch in football is performing on a different level than someone making an amazing catch in Madden.  

As far as I know, a lot of e-sports fandom is for team sports, and a lot of that is for League of Legends.

Again, not a scene I follow, but I don't begrudge people for liking different entertainment platforms.

I guess I'm just a better person than all of you. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 4/1/2019 at 8:46 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There is some truth to this, and this truth manifests itself in both cricket and baseball being forever incomprehensible to anyone who did not grow up with them.

You can learn soccer as an adult. You can learn American football as an adult. But I strongly doubt the possibility of ever really learning baseball or cricket if you come to these sports as an adult.

Yeah, I'd say that's mostly fair, though I'd make somewhat of an exception for Twenty 20.  Granted, the fact that ODI's and Twenty 20 even exist while baseball has no equivalent "short form" is a question for another time.

What I don't really get is the one-sided hatedom cricket fans feel towards baseball, if my occasional visits to cricket forums are any indicator.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

21 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

What I don't really get is the one-sided hatedom cricket fans feel towards baseball, if my occasional visits to cricket forums are any indicator.

That's a shame, but it's not out of line with niche-sport fandom, like how soccer fans hate "handegg," or hockey fans hate themselves.

On 4/1/2019 at 7:54 AM, Gothamite said:

E-“sports”.

Why any adult would want to watch another adult play video games is beyond me. 

I used to watch my cousin play the Nintendo when I was younger but we would all be chatting the whole time. It was more about being social than actually watching him play the whole time. I can't say I really get the e-sports thing either. 

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How is there any “local pride” in team esports like there is in real actual sports? “Oh I’ve been following his career since he was an 8-bit gamer in elementary school. I knew he’d be a 1st round pick” or “well he’s coming up on 30 so I don’t know if they’ll want to bring him back” or “I hope we can trade for Ultimat3Pwnz0r683 - he’ll put our Fusion over the top”. 

I also assume there’s a gambling aspect, which if so, would be even more depressing. 

Couldn't the same be said for pretty much all sports at the college and pro level? The players are rarely all locals, if any of them are. Nick Foles, the quarterback of the SBLIICPE was from Texas, went to college at Arizona, and had previously played pro ball in St. Louis. It just doesn't matter. And again, I don't really follow esports.

Archived