Quillz

Are there any sports you simply don't "get?"

Recommended Posts

On 4/8/2019 at 11:59 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

 

Add to my list indoor/arena football.  Normally I like altered major sports, but the short field is too weird for me.

 

I totally agree with you about arena football.  I am a huge football fan (Canadian and U.S. rules) but can't stand arena, a lot of it because of the field size.  Football to me is about sustaining drives, field position, the punting game.  Don't matter in arena football when you could just air it out to the end zone at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

I'll never get racewalking.  Frustrating to watch footage of it when Olympics are on.  I just want them to start running!

 

spacer.png

I always thought race walking was hilarious to watch because I swear each person in that race walks like they have to take a massive dump after the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

I always thought race walking was hilarious to watch because I swear each person in that race walks like they have to take a massive dump after the race.

That was always my exact sentiment. Like there was just one bathroom at the finish line and only the winner gets it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

 

They hated being in Syracuse more than hating their job I bet. 

 

I wish that was it, but I’ve seen the same lousy attitude in Cleveland, Toledo, and a bunch of small towns here in Ohio. I’ve also seen it at the NCAA basketball tournament. The worst offenders at the tournament were the people from non-flyover markets. In fact, a writer from the NY Times we’d all know if I named him had the worst attitude of anyone. So it’s not limited to “undesirable” markets. If anything, it gets worse in bigger markets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

I'll never get racewalking.  Frustrating to watch footage of it when Olympics are on.  I just want them to start running!

 

spacer.png

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I always thought race walking was hilarious to watch because I swear each person in that race walks like they have to take a massive dump after the race.

Their pace is pretty mindblowing. In the 20k they're walking 6:30 miles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple 

First is eSports, but that’s been well covered here. 

 

Second is soccer. I just can’t watch it. Just a bunch of people running around for an hour in my mind. Respect the athletes because they’re obviously in better shape than i ever will be, but i just can’t possibly get myself to actually sit through more than 5 minutes of a game. 

 

Third is fighting. Any kind. Boxing, MMA, whatever. It’s just... why? I really don’t understand how watching people punch each other in the face can possibly be entertaining to anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jn8 said:

Third is fighting. Any kind. Boxing, MMA, whatever. It’s just... why? I really don’t understand how watching people punch each other in the face can possibly be entertaining to anyone. 

Yea I forgot to post that too.  At least WWF had interviews and story lines to go with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get how some people consider Poker a sport. Cards =/= Physical Activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yea I forgot to post that too.  At least WWF had interviews and story lines to go with it.

Especially since there's a scoring system for it yet most  observers just understand "knock the other guy out and you win". So decisions seem arbitrary when it's really a score and some boxers are really good at scoring hits but doesn't exactly look like they're "winning" the fight due to apparent injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I don't get how some people consider Poker a sport. Cards =/= Physical Activity.

YES! GET OFF MY ESPN!!!

 

If it's so damn popular get your own channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How the flying :censored: is fishing a sport? If you can be drunk and 400 pounds and still compete, then it ain't a sport.

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I always thought race walking was hilarious to watch because I swear each person in that race walks like they have to take a massive dump after the race.

 

19 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

That was always my exact sentiment. Like there was just one bathroom at the finish line and only the winner gets it.

I'll be kind and not post it here, but Yohaan Diniz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

 

I'll be kind and not post it here, but Yohaan Diniz.

 

Remind me what happened to him again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

Remind me what happened to him again?

 

Google him. You’ll either be sorry or glad that you did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

 

Google him. You’ll either be sorry or glad that you did

 

Thanks... and part of me wants to laugh because, well, what I said about race walking pretty much came true from the video I watched, the other part wants to cringe because of all of the issues he had to deal with outside of the runs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, Seadragon76 said:

Funny that you mentioned cricket because I actually watched part of a game over the weekend.

 

It was an IPL match between... let me see if I get the names right... the Punjab XI Kings and the Chennai Super Kings. Curious since my cable provider (Xfinity) is showing this, I thought to myself "What the hell, why not?"

 

The game was live. It was on a channel called Willow and I was confused... All I could grasp was this: There's one guy who runs up to throw the ball and the guy with the paddle can hit it in any direction he wants.

And, as Babe Ruth noted, the batsman doesn't have to run if he doesn't want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

YES! GET OFF MY ESPN!!!

 

If it's so damn popular get your own channel.

 

It's ESPN. Of course they are going to televise stuff of low quality. That's the network that Skip Bayless was on for years.

 

It reminds me of something that Charles Barkley said when an ESPN reporter stuck a mike in his face and he saw the logo: "ESPN? You are still trying to rip people off with that s-word station, ain't ya?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, Seadragon76 said:

Funny that you mentioned cricket because I actually watched part of a game over the weekend.

 

It was an IPL match between... let me see if I get the names right... the Punjab XI Kings and the Chennai Super Kings. Curious since my cable provider (Xfinity) is showing this, I thought to myself "What the hell, why not?"

 

The game was live. It was on a channel called Willow and I was confused... All I could grasp was this: There's one guy who runs up to throw the ball and the guy with the paddle can hit it in any direction he wants.

Wish I had seen your post earlier as I'm thinking this is a free preview of the Willow net and it's going to end soon. NBCSN aired the Big Bash League the last 2 seasons but didn't this last year which was a let down as it plays for a couple of months during winter season which is perfect for the baseball fan looking for something other than football, football, football and some hockey. It's kind of sad how separated we are from different world sports here in America. Baseball and hockey are still the tops in my book but I got to give it to T20 cricket for its excitement and rugby union (Premiership is on NBSCN) and League (NRL, still only online for us xfinity cable suckers) for its non stop action which makes American football unwatchable to me anymore due to the constant stop and go action on top of the endless commercial bombardment.

 Anyways, liking this thread and long live the sporting life.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, DnBronc said:

 

It's ESPN. Of course they are going to televise stuff of low quality. That's the network that Skip Bayless was on for years.

 

It reminds me of something that Charles Barkley said when an ESPN reporter stuck a mike in his face and he saw the logo: "ESPN? You are still trying to rip people off with that s-word station, ain't ya?".

 

It was a ESPNews mic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.