Quillz

Are there any sports you simply don't "get?"

Soccer has never appealed to me, but I do my best to care a tad if something significant happens. 

Boxing is another.  So much drama and buildup to some big fights, only to have no affordable way to watch it and the results are almost always never worth it.  I have no interest in watching boxing outside of when they breach pop culture. Love boxing movies, however. 

MMA/UFC is similar.  It was cool watching Rousey in her prime/collapse, but that was all my interest ever caught.  

Rugby/cricket have never appealed in any fashion.  Track and field, pole vault, shot put, meh.  

I’ll watch bowling, golf, and poker all night though.  Not because I know the competitors, but because I enjoy the production and easygoing nature of the games. 

47 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Wrestling. The actual kind. Just two people rolling around on a mat. Woo?

It makes more sense if you live in an area of the country where high school and college wrestling is a big deal, like I did when I lived in Iowa.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Wrestling. The actual kind. Just two people rolling around on a mat. Woo?

It's as pure a physical competition as running or swimming, what is not to get?

I just realized: even soccer's colorful uniforms can't get me to watch it.  That's saying something, I'm usually drawn to that and will watch.  I love the Las Vegas Lights branding, but the sport...meh.

I can understand someone not "getting" NASCAR. I don't particularly like it on TV, and if I have it on, it's in the background (see also: baseball and golf). I've said this to everyone I've ever met that doesn't like it - you have to actually GO to a race. The experience is second to none. It's loud, the people watching is unbeatable, and, if you partake, you can bring your own alcohol as long as there aren't glass bottles. If that's not a recipe for a good time, I don't know what is.

Anyone dismissing NASCAR as an endless parade of left turns is woefully ignorant. The amount of physics involved is beyond my comprehension, and the mental capacity to drive a car 190mph within inches of 40 other cars also going 190mph is incredible.

33 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I can understand someone not "getting" NASCAR. I don't particularly like it on TV, and if I have it on, it's in the background (see also: baseball and golf). I've said this to everyone I've ever met that doesn't like it - you have to actually GO to a race. The experience is second to none. It's loud, the people watching is unbeatable, and, if you partake, you can bring your own alcohol as long as there aren't glass bottles. If that's not a recipe for a good time, I don't know what is.

Anyone dismissing NASCAR as an endless parade of left turns is woefully ignorant. The amount of physics involved is beyond my comprehension, and the mental capacity to drive a car 190mph within inches of 40 other cars also going 190mph is incredible.

I do agree, but I tried several times to watch it but racing isn't my thing. 

I went to NASCAR once as a kid. It was at Watkins Glen. We were camping along one of the turns. Everyone once in a while, a blur of a car would zoom by. Someone died during the race. A lot of people drank a lot of beer.

Fin.

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I went to NASCAR once as a kid. It was at Watkins Glen. We were camping along one of the turns. Everyone once in a while, a blur of a car would zoom by. Someone died during the race. A lot of people drank a lot of beer.

Fin.

Road courses are actually the inverse of what I said. I'd rather watch them on TV than go to them. Well, I've never been to one, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be very exciting.

I'm assuming you went in 1991, which would've been when J.D. McDuffie died. Watching the replay of that crash (kinda morbid, but whatever) is a great reminder of how far NASCAR safety has come since even the early '90s.

1 minute ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Road courses are actually the inverse of what I said. I'd rather watch them on TV than go to them. Well, I've never been to one, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be very exciting. 

I'm assuming you went in 1991, which would've been when J.D. McDuffie died. Watching the replay of that crash (morning, but whatever) is a great reminder of how far NASCAR safety has come since even the early '90s. 

Yup -- that was exactly it. Ernie Irvan won in the Kodak car. I didn't know who won or who died until I was in the car on the way home.

I did have fun with all of the camping stuff, which was far more of what we were doing. Cards and campfire songs and all of that stuff. Days of Thunder was out during this time, and I remember really wanted the replica Mello Yellow Racing Champions-brand car, but not being willing use $10 of the $20 I had in spending money to pay for it.

I got dragged to a NASCAR event at the Milwaukee Mile when I was a kid. All I remember is how loud it was.

10 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

NASCAR is the New Orleans of sports. Just go drink and have fun. Sounds like a more intense version of minor league baseball.

Nah, minor league baseball is all that but also actually a sport. 😛 

I’ve been to races.  And I still think it’s an endless parade of left turns. Just a loud endless parade of left turns.  :D 

Horse racing.  Seems like just an excuse to bet, and like horses are people.  They're just horses.

12 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Horse racing.  Seems like just an excuse to bet, and like horses are people.  They're just horses.

Also...weird hats.  Can't forget about that.