Are there any sports you simply don't "get?"

Quillz

On 5/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, sc49erfan15 said:

I can understand someone not "getting" NASCAR. I don't particularly like it on TV, and if I have it on, it's in the background (see also: baseball and golf). I've said this to everyone I've ever met that doesn't like it - you have to actually GO to a race. The experience is second to none. It's loud, the people watching is unbeatable, and, if you partake, you can bring your own alcohol as long as there aren't glass bottles. If that's not a recipe for a good time, I don't know what is.

Anyone dismissing NASCAR as an endless parade of left turns is woefully ignorant. The amount of physics involved is beyond my comprehension, and the mental capacity to drive a car 190mph within inches of 40 other cars also going 190mph is incredible.

Also, this guy I used to play hockey with said that he liked it because of the strategy involved. I could never get into it myself, however.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Listening to the Crime in Sports (a very funny and informative podcast, check them out) episode on...

What the hell, man?! As though there already isn't too damn much to listen to. Now you're giving me this? Not cool. Thanks a f-ing lot.

Just for that, I give to you the dual suggestion of The Infinite Inning and Good Seats Still Available (in addition to my pity).

[Mumbles: Mess with me, I'll show you...]

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

For someone whose penmanship would indicate some kind of mutant lobster hands, I'm surprisingly good at darts, or at least used to be when I was in practice. I was really frustrated when I couldn't transfer the skill set to archery in junior-year gym class. Then someone else's errant arrow cut my hand open and I have the scar to this day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Listening to the Crime in Sports (a very funny and informative podcast, check them out) episode on Chris "Mace the Ace" Mason has got me thinking, how is darts a sport? Darts, where the main attraction is the ability to drink booze while throwing small darts at target boards? Any sport where a guy the size of Andy Fordham can be a champion:

It doesn't feel like it should count as a sport in the same way poker shouldn't, but there's also a level of danger in allowing inebriated people to just throw sharp objects around that I respect.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

how is darts a sport? Darts, where the main attraction is the ability to drink booze while throwing small darts at target boards?

Darts is reasonable popular in Ontario, but usually as a thing to do while you hang out with buddies at a bar. I wouldn't call it a sport...more a distraction from the awful live band that's probably playing. 

On 6/9/2019 at 9:50 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What the hell, man?! As though there already isn't too damn much to listen to. Now you're giving me this? Not cool. Thanks a f-ing lot.

Just for that, I give to you the dual suggestion of The Infinite Inning and Good Seats Still Available (in addition to my pity).

[Mumbles: Mess with me, I'll show you...]

On 6/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, selby56 said:

Yaaaaaay!

Yay, indeed Jimmie. 

Crime in Sports has an episode on Mel Hall. Out of all of the people they’ve covered, he’s one of nastiest they’ve discussed that doesn’t involve murder.

They’ve put together some hilarious episodes on more esoteric sports, such as cricket and Aussie Rules Football. A lot of it is coming to the sports as outsiders. The bodybuilding features are similar, if only because of the insanity of the athletes’ routines, the unintentional homoeroticism, and the deep insecurities that lead to murder.

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Crime in Sports has an episode on Mel Hall. Out of all of the people they’ve covered, he’s one of nastiest they’ve discussed that doesn’t involve murder.

They’ve put together some hilarious episodes on more esoteric sports, such as cricket and Aussie Rules Football. A lot of it is coming to the sports as outsiders. The bodybuilding features are similar, if only because of the insanity of the athletes’ routines, the unintentional homoeroticism, and the deep insecurities that lead to murder.

I'm a big fan of James and Jimmie. Been listening to them for two years now, I've even seen them live twice for STM. Small Town Murder and Crime in Sports keep me sane on my 8+ hour road trips to Ohio. 

T1oYViW.png

32 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I am very familiar with the bizarre story of Mel Hall. I am sure that the hosts of the that podcast do a good job relaying it to their audience.

I liked Hall when he was with the Yankees.  He looked so cool in his uniform.  But I soured on him when the rumour surfaced that he had been tormenting young Bernie Williams.  Who could imagine that that would be the least of Hall's bad deeds!

Give a listen to the two shows I mentioned.  On The Infinite Inning, host Steven Goldman opens each episode with an extended historical tale that serves as a parable.  And on Good Seats Still Available, host Tim Hanlon explores the histories of past leagues such as the AAFC, the NASL, the MISL, and many others, as well as some specific topics, such as Ft. Lauderdale's Lockhart Stadium.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mjrbaseball said:

Does it make any sense thast I can't get into NASCAR, even though I like IndyCar and Formula I? 🏁

It makes sense. In Formula 1, the courses are some of the most challenging out there and Indy Car has some of the same type of courses.

NASCAR, on the other hand, is mostly ovals. There's only three road courses in the Monster Cup season and one of them (Charlotte) is part oval, part road course.

5 hours ago, mjrbaseball said:

Does it make any sense thast I can't get into NASCAR, even though I like IndyCar and Formula I? 🏁

I am actually the opposite. I watch NASCAR every week, but I just can't really get into Indy or Formula 1. 

T1oYViW.png

I can't get into auto racing at all. I went to the Fontana Speedway about 15 years ago and it was fine but not something I ever wanted to go to again. I guess auto racing is a major regional appeal because I also don't know a single person who has any interest in it.

Debates about what constitutes a sport or not aside, throw me on the growing pile of those baffled by the appeal of NASCAR.

I also scratch my head at those who watch golf. I'm very much a "to each their own" person, and I get playing it, but watching it is beyond me.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

20 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I also scratch my head at those who watch golf. I'm very much a "to each their own" person, and I get playing it, but watching it is beyond me.

I like everything about golf except watching it on TV. 

Playing golf, attending events lives, playing golf video games.

I keep trying from time to time to watch it on TV too (generally when they play at a course I think is really cool) but I just can't sit through it. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

17 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I like everything about golf except watching it on TV. 

Playing golf, attending events lives, playing golf video games.

I keep trying from time to time to watch it on TV too (generally when they play at a course I think is really cool) but I just can't sit through it. 

I've never tried watching it live, but maybe I could see that. I'm not someone who watches much baseball on tv, but I love going to games, so I get what you mean.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I tried watching college golf because Arkansas State is good at that for some reason, but just got bored, much like when I watch college baseball.

I try to get into F1 every year and it never sticks, so I think I just don't care about car sports.

8 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I've never tried watching it live, but maybe I could see that. I'm not someone who watches much baseball on tv, but I love going to games, so I get what you mean.

A different experience live (wandering around and checking out the course at your own pace is fun), but a very fair comparison. 

I agree, both sports are not as enjoyable on TV. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived