I'm a follower of @hawkfan89's PHL thread. (

)  

http://phlnetwork.blogspot.com/

As I was reading it, I just got engrossed in the stories of each season and the players and their exploits. As I was going through the thread, I was wondering if he had ever made anything like retired numbers banners or championship banners. And to his credit, I saw some championship banners in some of the sigs, but the thought was on my mind. Maybe it's my love for college football or maybe I'm just a sucker for some pageantry and seeing a banner raising at the start of the season, but I decided to try my and make some banners myself.

The first one I did is a championship banner for the Quebec Nationale: 

SmR1FQU.png

And I did a second one for the number 1 retired by the Chicago Shamrocks:

1GW3rUX.png

I posted them in the thread, and after a few days, Hawkfan himself commented and said that if I wanted to show my stuff, make a separate thread. So here we are. 

My purpose for this thread is to not only showcase banner ideas I have but to also offer a place for PHL fans to tell stories about fans, superfans, moments, fandom stories about teams in the league, places for the fans to flock to for whatever reason, and yes, showcase some banner ideas they may have of their own. 

As the PHL moves forward into the 21st Century, and as social media becomes more of a thing, and fan blogs and podcasts both official and unofficial become more prevalent, I think this would be a fun thing for us fans to do while Hawkfan prepares his PHL stuff. If you want to work on something, just send me a PM and we can collaborate. All levels of art skills and writing skills are welcome. 

Here's to the PHL! 

I believe since this isn't actually simulating anything, it should be in concepts, but that's up to the mods. 

1 hour ago, ReesDaKing said:

I believe since this isn't actually simulating anything, it should be in concepts, but that's up to the mods. 

If anyone does notify me where this should go, I’ll move it. My main goal is to have this be something like a companion thing to @hawkfan89‘s stuff. And this seems like this is the most logical place IMO. 

So - because it's an unaffiliated companion piece. it'll stay here as long as the focus is on the banners. This isn't going to become some side board for any PHL discussion. 

14 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So - because it's an unaffiliated companion piece. it'll stay here as long as the focus is on the banners. This isn't going to become some side board for any PHL discussion. 

Is there a place where I CAN make a side board for PHL discussion? 

4 minutes ago, Crazy Rider said:

Is there a place where I CAN make a side board for PHL discussion? 

Not here. The PHL thread is more than enough for PHL discussion. 

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Not here. The PHL thread is more than enough for PHL discussion. 

Fair enough. 

Thinking about making a banner tonight. Any requests or suggestions of what you wanna see? 

24 minutes ago, Crazy Rider said:

Thinking about making a banner tonight. Any requests or suggestions of what you wanna see? 

How about the Wizards' Lewis Cup dynasty from the late 70's?

12 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

How about the Wizards' Lewis Cup dynasty from the late 70's?

It'll probably be a challenge given my skills, but I can give it a shot. I'm also planning on doing a retired number banner as well. 

In honor of the Detroit Mustangs. and until this thread is closed. I pay my respeects for The Mustangs

T5JdghC.png

1 hour ago, MSO94 said:

In honor of the Detroit Mustangs. and until this thread is closed. I pay my respeects for The Mustangs

T5JdghC.png

Dude, this is dope! And your sig has retired numbers banners, so there's one team I'll be spared of doing. And to anyone reading this, if you have some banner ideas or actuall panners, post em here. 

La Wizards Lewis Cup banners and Stuart Holly Retired Number.

Just now, ItsSlothy said:

La Wizards Lewis Cup banners and Stuart Holly Retired Number.

Noted. Also somebody tell @hawkfan89 the logos and other things on his blogs are outdated.

Requested by @neo_prankster and @ItsSlothy, presenting a new Lewis Cup Banner. Ladies and gentlemen, the Los Angeles Wizards:

mgSUfcc.png

The reason I went for the wizard's head is that for all the logo changes that the Wizards have had, that head has always been consistent. If you wanna add to this or make a banner for a later year, I'll add this: In the wizard's hat, the number of stars represents the number of Cups won. So, 1976 will have one star, the 1977 banner will have 2 stars, and the 1978 banner will have 3 stars. This tradition has led Wizards fans to call each playoff run as the quest to "put another star on the hat". 

And that's the story of the Wizards' Lewis Cup Banner(s). 

Sorry but I had to give it  a try

dfwCipX.png

CbLDzn4.png

50 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

God I hope that isn’t hanging in the rafters in LA...the logo could be a lot better. 

I think it turned out pretty well. The only thing I’m not to keen on is the beard, but that’s what happens when you use a white background. 

32 minutes ago, MSO94 said:

Sorry but I had to give it  a try

dfwCipX.png

CbLDzn4.png

Nothing to be sorry about, amigo. The fact that someone other than me is doing this makes me feel pretty damn good. I have my own Holly banner that’ll be ready to upload soon. 

Presenting a retired number banner requested by @ItsSlothy . Stuart Holly:

CxIapes.png

From the Wizards' Website:

"If there was one team that defined the 1970s, it was the Los Angeles Wizards. And of all the stars that graced the ice, none would shine brighter than Stuart Holly. Drafted in 1970, 'Captain Hollywood' would lead the Wizards to a division championship in just his second season. Over the course of 19 years, Holly would dazzle fans and give defensemen and goaltenders nightmares with a shot that could only be described as a wizard's fireball. And in those 19 seasons, Holly would be joined with some of the greatest to ever put on a Wizards sweater, and for 3 magical seasons, the Wizards reigned supreme with a 3-peat of Lewis Cups in 1976, 1977, 1nd 1978, leading championship parades to be as iconic of the City of Angels as Rodeo Drive, the Sunset Strip, and the Hollywood sign. Today, every Wizard hopes to follow in the example of Stuart Holly, and fans wait patiently for the captain to follow the lead of 'Captain Hollywood' and put another star on the hat."

"It's only fitting that the man who inspired us to reach for the stars ascends above our ice, so that he can always watch us in our neverending quest for the next star."

-Wizards PA announcer Clarence Pinkney, at Holly's jersey retirement ceremony. 

You may be wondering about the 3 stars on the banner. I made it so that for every player that gets retired, the number of stars on the banner represents the number of Cups they won with the Wizards. Whether or not winning a Cup is a requirement to have your number retired is up to you.