Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/6: Michigan State & Ohio)
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how I feel about trying to emulate the football helmets. As far as I can tell, the only other sports that do that are hockey and lacrosse (which have the benefit of also wearing helmets). I did try and emulate the football team a bit more by switching all the white elements to yellow maize on the blue jerseys. I didn't like that look at first but I stared at it a little longer and I've sort of warmed up to it. Here it is (I also made the blue jersey the primary because it didn't really go with the white shorts anymore):

xETqNEz.png

Legit question I've always had about the sport, from seeing it in the movies, to what I see on a cursory glance at usquidditch.org:

If the "snitch" is caught, the game is over, with the team that catches the snitch earning 30 points. Yet, points are scored with the quaffles. So, if a team catches the snitch, yet is down by more than 30 points, do they lose?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

4 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Legit question I've always had about the sport, from seeing it in the movies, to what I see on a cursory glance at usquidditch.org:

If the "snitch" is caught, the game is over, with the team that catches the snitch earning 30 points. Yet, points are scored with the quaffles. So, if a team catches the snitch, yet is down by more than 30 points, do they lose?

Yes. In fact, this exact scenario happened (more or less) in Goblet of Fire - Bulgaria caught to end the World Cup Final when Ireland was up 160, which meant Ireland won. In the real world, if teams are down by, say, 9 or 10 goals, they'll usually try and catch the snitch to prevent tiring out their players, but if they're only down 40 or 50 points, teams will almost always have their seekers defensive seek, trying to prevent the opposing seeker from catching until they can hopefully score some more goals and get back into snitch range (within 30 points).

Starting off the Mid-Atlantic region is Appalachian State:

VvJX4qu.png

I started with the Mountaineers' current uniforms and toned them down about four or five notches. The double stripe down the front stays, but instead is accompanied by their block A logo and a front number instead of that ridiculous "APPARATORS" design. The stripes get moved to the sleeves on the alternate as a sort of fauxback to these jerseys. The numbers on the backs of both uniforms are double outlined to match the block A. Both uniforms are worn with black shorts and black socks, the former of which also carry the double stripe.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/6: App State)
3 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

With Michigan, have you considered giving them the same treatment as the basketball team, with a blue jersey and a maize jersey?

I would have at least considered that, but USQ currently doesn't allow yellow or gold jerseys (or shorts) to avoid confusion with the snitch runner (and I don't think the Wolverines would be able to get away with calling it "maize" instead). Plus, with Michigan already wearing white and blue jerseys, it made sense to keep it that way. Just for fun, though:

frb7n29.png

Anybody have any comments on a team that's not Michigan 😜

I think I'm going to stick to the no yellow/gold rule going forward, but I might do some alternate takes for teams that I think could really stand for the rule to be broken. Consider that the first.

Anyway, here's Duke:

jZbdk7R.png

Kept things pretty simple on the primary uniform, which draws heavily from this old uniform of theirs. The clash is inspired by their current uniform; it's a little more white-heavy to differentiate between the two sets, but still uses a good amount of blue. Pretty thin striping on the sleeves to make things a little less boring. White shorts and blue socks complete both sets.

C&C appreciated! I'll be significantly quieter the next few days because I'm leaving for Cup tomorrow morning, but I might be able to post a team or two over the weekend depending how things go.

Well, the tournament's been delayed by thunderstorms twice already and I'm getting bored, so here's another team. We move from Duke to the Dukes of James Madison (sorry):

XXECfvS.jpg

JMU just got new uniforms this season, and I'm a fan, for the most part. I was just gonna copy the pattern and clean the uniform up a bit, but I tried something a little different and really liked how it turned out. I made the primary uniforms purple instead of white since they're aren't a whole lot of other purple teams, though there is a matching white jersey because it still looks cool. Contrasting shorts pair with each jersey, and gold socks round things out.

C&C appreciated! Hopefully I'll actually get to play some quidditch sometime this weekend.

10 hours ago, appleclock said:

You’re doing great with these. Should the blue be a bit darker for Duke?

Thanks! I found that hex code on Duke's website, and I too thought it should be darker, but I'm willing to trust Duke on what color it is that they wear. I might redo it with a darker blue if I get around to it.

On a related note, RPI (that's my team) is currently sitting at 3-0! That said I am very tired and need to go to sleep goodnight y'all

Quick update: RPI won three more games day 2 of the tournament before getting eliminated by Cal in the quarterfinals. We got back to New York around 1:30 last night so needless to say I haven't had much time to spend on this. That said, I did update Duke above with the hex code Pantone uses, which I think looks much better, and I should have another team up later tonight.

The next team up is Lock Haven:

dghGq9z.png

The Bald Eagles currently wear crimson with white sleeves, and ages ago, they wore white with crimson sleeves, so I knew that was the direction I wanted to go. I decided to put LHU on the front, since they've worn "LHU QUIDDITCH" for most of their history, and I used a sort of football-type look on the uniform, something I hadn't really done yet. The stripes on the shorts are based on the tail-y bit of the logo (which is on the sleeves), and are echoed by the shoulder stripes, which are also inspired by their current set. The clash is almost entirely a color swap of the main kit, apart from the logo, which I think looks bad in ghost form (see: their current uniform).

What do you think? C&C appreciated as always!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/16: Lock Haven)

Okay, Haven was kinda boring. Maybe y'all will be more intrigued by the defending regional champs:

BjSZ47X.png

Maryland is the first team on this list that I personally have actually gotten to play against, and while I don't like the Terps much as a team, I will say that they look pretty good. About all I did was bring their current uniforms more in line with the rest of the school's branding (yes I know that's an Under Armour font and they probably won't be able to use it but this is a concept and I can do what I want). The clash is black to harken back to this wild jersey they wore not too long ago, but it's just the same set with a few colors swapped around here and there.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/17: Maryland)

I feel like a reason there’s no C&C is because (this might just be a personal thing but) quidditch is a super small sport that people rarely know existed in real life. I didn’t until I saw this. So since nobody knows the sport. A lot of people don’t know what the uniforms are supposed to look like, making it hard to criticize. The concepts are good don’t get me wrong. But like compared to football and baseball and stuff, people know the uniforms and we all have our own ideas and opinions on what they’re supposed to look like and what looks best. We don’t have that for quidditch, Atleast I would assume most don’t. Don’t let it discourage you though! Some of these are interesting designs and I like them. Reminds me of @NoE38‘s Markball series. I especially like the simplicity of Lock Havens uniform. I think the shoulder stripe-sleeve pattern could also translate well to the rest of the sports uniforms. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

I feel like a reason there’s no C&C is because (this might just be a personal thing but) quidditch is a super small sport that people rarely know existed in real life. I didn’t until I saw this. So since nobody knows the sport. A lot of people don’t know what the uniforms are supposed to look like, making it hard to criticize. The concepts are good don’t get me wrong. But like compared to football and baseball and stuff, people know the uniforms and we all have our own ideas and opinions on what they’re supposed to look like and what looks best. We don’t have that for quidditch, Atleast I would assume most don’t. Don’t let it discourage you though! Some of these are interesting designs and I like them. Reminds me of @NoE38‘s Markball series. I especially like the simplicity of Lock Havens uniform. I think the shoulder stripe-sleeve pattern could also translate well to the rest of the sports uniforms. 

Yeah, people not knowing quidditch was definitely a concern I had. I feel like more people than you think have heard of it, but I also think most of them probably took one look and dismissed it as a dumb sport for nerds or whatever. I definitely knew muggle quidditch existed before starting college but I hadn't really thought to look into it more until it came up at orientation.

That said, quidditch hasn't really developed a specific look yet, given that it's only been around since 2005 and a lot of early "uniforms" were just t-shirts with a name on the front and numbers hand-drawn on the back. Pretty much every major sport has the benefit of being around since the 19th century or earlier (which is also why they're major sports). I've been trying to show real-life examples of teams' uniforms so you can get a little more of a feel for the aesthetic, but it's one that's still very much developing. Anyway, thanks for the compliment!

Moving along to a team that was surprisingly friendly after RPI beat them by 100 points, Penn State:

5di6L57.png

The second thing that comes to my mind when I think of Penn State is their super simple football uniforms, so that's sorta what I tried to base these off of. Nittany Lion on the front, names on the back because they don't have the same tradition as football, and sleeve numbers so it's a little less boring. Did something a little different for the clash, kind of inspired by the football helmet with that blue stripe down the front. Stuck the number on one side and the logo on the other. Both shirts go with white shorts and blue socks. No weird gray, no weird font, just a simple, classic-looking set.

C&C, as always, is appreciated!

I still think these are great. Maryland is perfect—on brand and subtle.  Penn State—just not sure about the vertical stripe. I get the stripe is like the football helmet but maybe for them it should be a super plain white t with a tiny logo like a golf shirt.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/18: Penn State)

Archived