Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

Maybe you guys will be more intrigued by Harvard?

e6ynr38.png

Harvard currently uses the Horntails nickname, which I actually kinda don't mind, maybe because "Harvard Horntails" sounds good and also it's a dragon. Also, Harvard has enough brand equity that it can get away with that more than other schools can. I took the same approach to this set, keeping things super simple, with just the H-shield on the front and numerals on the back. I wanted to limit black to the logo, because a) the Horntails haven't used black since 2014 and b) Harvard seems like a school that should really just be crimson and white (some, but not all, of their varsity sports are with me on this). The main set is all crimson, and has no stripes at all because any stripes I tried to add seemed to mess things up. There is a white alternate jersey, and a pair of tan alternate shorts to pay homage to their football team, just in case they really want to play up the oldest-school-in-the-nation angle once in a while.

Any thoughts? Are the tan shorts too much? Are the jerseys too boring? Sound off in the comments!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/11: Harvard)
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next is Macaulay:

cmvoqmt.png

So this is a weird one. Macaulay Honors College is a part of the City University of New York, and accepts students from other CUNY schools, so doesn't have any varsity sports of its own. Macaulay does have clubs, but quidditch is the only club sport, so there's not really a brand to fit into. As such, I didn't change much from their current uniforms; I did remove the sleeve stripes, sleeve numbers, and Northeast Region patch, since the uniform is busy enough already. I also changed the font from Michigan State's to a similar font I happened to run into on the CUNY Athletic Conference website, and I added a stripe to the shorts to line up with where the striping comes down the side of the jersey. The clash swaps black and white, with the exception of the skyline, which didn't look good in 100% black so I lowered it to 10%.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/12: Macaulay)

Next up are the five-time World Cup champions and the inventors of the sport, Middlebury College:

03GZXn3.png

Middlebury was another weird team to design for, but for a completely different reason. The Panthers are the oldest team in quidditch and have won the most World/USQ Cups in the sport's history. That said, they're also famous for not taking themselves seriously, even dropping out of the IQA in 2013 because they felt everybody else was taking it too seriously and they just wanted to have fun. Midd is also a team that have worn super simple navy and white uniforms since the beginning of time, including two sets with no wordmarks or numbers or anything, and then switched into these uniforms this season. This was my attempt at reconciling all of that: no-nonsense navy uniforms as the primary set and significantly more interesting white uniforms, with clashing sleeves, a slanting design on the bottom, and the panther logo sublimated on as well. Neither uniform has a name on the back, as Middlebury has never sported NOBs and I thought the nameless look fit with their history and all.

C&C appreciated as always!

Up next is NYU:

36sm5vj.png

This set for the Violets is heavily based on their current set, though the striping is now noticeably thinner on the front, is straightened out, and includes just a little bit of black. The Thunder logo on the front also gets replaced by their block NYU and the regional patch on one sleeve is replaced by another sleeve number to balance things out. The same striping and color blocking appears on the shorts and socks, and there's a white version of the jersey and shorts as well.

That's about all I have to say. What do y'all think?

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/14: NYU)

Moving on to RIT:

bQSGUdo.png

RIT's set was actually mostly inspired by these old jerseys and their attempt at tiger striping. I tried my hand at updating those stripes, and I restricted them to the sleeves and shorts stripes. I did get a bit of inspiration from their current uniforms - namely the collar stripe, though I guess the wordmark/logo combination on the front is a subtle shoutout to the logo they currently use as the Dark Marks? Okay I just made that up but anyway that's basically the set. Orange and black uniforms, black shorts, orange socks. Not much more to say.

You've made it to the end of this post! What do you think of the Tigers?

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/16: RIT)

Next is the only college team to win more than zero and less than four national championships, the University of Rochester:

GMZ1XJB.png

Given that they won a championship so recently (2018), I wanted to keep the spirit of their current uniforms intact. I made some significant changes, the first of which was dropping the huge thestral from the front (again, not a bad name, but not gonna work for this concept). I replaced it with a big stripe based on their shorts stripe, and which also kinda looks like the stinger of a yellowjacket if you squint a little. Speaking of yellowjackets, I added that logo on the front as well. The shorts stripe more or less carries over from their current set, as do their sleeve stripes, though those have been modified slightly to prevent white and yellow from touching. The clash uniform is a color swap of the main, and the same shorts and socks go with both.

I also did an alternate take, as given that they are the Yellowjackets, yellow makes sense for them. The primary uniform is the same, because as before, it has brand equity. The clash is more clash-y, losing the stinger-split pattern on the front and gaining an arced wordmark with the yellowjacket logo underneath. The sleeve stripes also become blue to preserve consistency and prevent bleeding.

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

K2oeITH.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/17: Rochester)
On 5/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, appleclock said:

I like Rochester except for the stinger thingy looks like a big pencil, especially on the shorts. I like the simplified yellow version.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I considered more of a big pointy triangle to more closely resemble an actual stinger, but I liked the way the word "Rochester" fit in there and plus the fact that they already used that shape (more or less) made me go with it. I took another crack at it, though, and came up with this (the alternate take clash jersey would be the same):

KN8tVPI.png

Does that work better? I'm kind of on the fence.

Finally got to my team. Here's RPI:

n1bGA7T.png

So RPI's current jerseys are kind of a mess. Don't get me wrong, mine is one of the coolest things I own, but design wise, it's a mess. You're probably looking at that picture going "which one of those three teams is RPI?" and if you are, I don't blame you at all. Without going into too much of a rant, our colors are cherry and white, but our uniforms are 2/3 black, 1/3 white, with maroon and gray accents in the form of these weird scratchy swirly things, and they've got these absurdly low numbers on the front which you probably didn't even notice the first time you looked at that picture. Anyway, a complete redesign was in order. The striping on the primary jersey and shorts matches these old hockey alternates, and is angled to imitate the RPI logo as well as these old quid jerseys. The clash is black, since apart from that one I just showed you, RPI has always worn black jerseys, and has Rensselaer on it because everyone thinks we're from Rochester it's different? Okay it's actually super because everyone thinks we're from Rochester, which is also why the RPI logo shows up on the sleeves, so hopefully people will make that connection. The red jersey pairs primarily with the white shorts and the black jersey with black shorts, but mixing and matching is allowed as always. Red socks complete the look.

Sorry that was so long but I get rambly sometimes. C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/20: RPI)

Next is Syracuse:

xeT6tlX.png

Syracuse was actually one of the first ideas I had. They currently wear hoops (which are green for some reason and fade off into these twirly plant things, but that's beside the point), and I thought three hoops could look a lot like an S, so I carved those three stripes out of the block S logo and stuck 'em on the front. The actual logo gets tucked up in the corner there, and a front number rounds things off. The clash is a pretty simple white jersey with the hoops sublimated on the front and the Syracuse wordmark replacing the logo. Plain white shorts are the primary option for both jerseys, but they also get a pair of navy shorts as a sort of alternate look if they want to go that route.

C&C appreciated as always!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/21: Syracuse)

This is really cool @ItDoesntMatter ! So I'm Super late to the party here, but I'm from Penn State.  First, the "weird gray" has been phased out and that other one... was hideous.  So if you had time to go backwards, I would be interested on your take for uniforms if we attempted to shy away from the very basic tradition.  Also fun fact, our original school colors were black and pink so some sports teams get to use them in throwback games.  Could you see a cool quidditch design in that?

On 5/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, mastertj77 said:

This is really cool @ItDoesntMatter ! So I'm Super late to the party here, but I'm from Penn State.  First, the "weird gray" has been phased out and that other one... was hideous.  So if you had time to go backwards, I would be interested on your take for uniforms if we attempted to shy away from the very basic tradition.  Also fun fact, our original school colors were black and pink so some sports teams get to use them in throwback games.  Could you see a cool quidditch design in that?

I actually really wanted to use black and pink for an alternate, but I wanted to make sure the two uniforms could mix and match with each other, so I went with just navy and white. Within the parameters you gave me, though, here's what I came up with: 

gV8Zqly.png

My first thought while trying to create a wilder design with a navy and white color scheme was these Yankees prototypes, so I took the pinstripe idea and played around with it a little. I had to add white to the pink and black to get the shorts to work with both jerseys, and even then, they're plain white. The socks are colorful, though.

C&C appreciated! This was a fun one.

I've also got Tufts ready to go, so let's finish out the Northeast:

nJLxJwi.png

First, I'd like to say that Tufflepuffs is an objectively great name, though it does keep them from using Jumbos, another objectively great name. Anyway, I was all ready to make a concept based on these jerseys, but then Tufts unveiled new jerseys at nationals, so I tried to split the difference and kind of combined those two into one concept. The set revolves around a stripe similar to the one on the sleeves of their new set; the coloration of the stripe is the same on all backgrounds, though as you can see, the stripe itself is not always exactly the same. The shape in the middle is a silhouette of the Jumbos' elephant logo. Jerseys come in blue and brown (underrated color scheme, btw) with the stripe as a sash, and a Tufts wordmark interrupting the elephants down the middle. White shorts and brown socks are the only options because I thought they balanced the colors best.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/23: Tufts)

Penn State in pink is great. Hard to own that color when the only time you ever really see it in sports is during women’s cancer awareness night at the minor league ballpark. I maybe wouldn’t have recolored the chipmunk though—could you have used a secondary logo or some script instead? The chipmunk seems a little too sacred to be recolored pink.

3 hours ago, appleclock said:

Penn State in pink is great. Hard to own that color when the only time you ever really see it in sports is during women’s cancer awareness night at the minor league ballpark. I maybe wouldn’t have recolored the chipmunk though—could you have used a secondary logo or some script instead? The chipmunk seems a little too sacred to be recolored pink.

Apparently, nothing is sacred. Anyway, I'm not sure I like it more than the other one, but here's a version that says "Penn State" on it instead, plus what that would look like with the original concept:

5GC7Zee.png

Archived