Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

Hey there! Founder of BGSU Quidditch and current IT Director for the IQA. I really really loved the orange checker design. But for historical context when I originally had to get uniforms black was by far the easiest thing to get online, especially since the vast majority of the brown I found wasn't accurate to our school's colors (and looked like crap), and most of us really didn't want to be the "weird kids" playing a new sport and wearing brown.

Anywho, our mascot the Falcons have been really important to the team over the years, did you have thoughts on incorporating that? Also, our school's fight song is titled Ay Ziggy, you've probably heard BG Quidditch sing it before games. It might be cool to include that in the jersey, maybe similar to how the football team did it a few years back spacer.png

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next is the South Division, starting with the Florida Gators:

39iOYSZ.png

This concept is heavily based on Florida's current uniforms. I ditched the striping down the sleeves, but kept much of the vibe of the rest the same, though I changed the font to a block and rotated the pattern a bit so it aligned with the different colored sleeves better. The clash jersey is much simpler, with the Gators script on the front and the logo moved to the sleeves. Two pairs of shorts, one blue and one white, with a stripe borrowed from the school's football team; my idea was that the white pair would be an alternate look but the all white look is good and the main uniform could for sure work with the white shorts as well. One pair of orange socks to balance the color a little bit better.

C&C appreciated as always!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/24: Florida)
On 5/24/2019 at 7:50 AM, AfroDevGirl said:

Hey there! Founder of BGSU Quidditch and current IT Director for the IQA. I really really loved the orange checker design. But for historical context when I originally had to get uniforms black was by far the easiest thing to get online, especially since the vast majority of the brown I found wasn't accurate to our school's colors (and looked like crap), and most of us really didn't want to be the "weird kids" playing a new sport and wearing brown.

Anywho, our mascot the Falcons have been really important to the team over the years, did you have thoughts on incorporating that? Also, our school's fight song is titled Ay Ziggy, you've probably heard BG Quidditch sing it before games. It might be cool to include that in the jersey, maybe similar to how the football team did it a few years back 

Welcome to the boards! Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you on this, but I created a new, more cohesive set for BGSU with those ideas (additionally, the falcon logo is a bit bigger on the primary and is now full-color on the clash, which is now brown, and the shorts are now brown with a checkered stripe).

RsfkM4D.png

C&C appreciated! I'll hopefully have the next team in the series up sometime during the second intermission. Go Bruins 🐻

Here's Florida Gulf Coast:

IYOlimS.png

Took quite a few cues from the Eagles' current set, but lightened the blue and green up to better match the varsity teams (every resource I found said the colors were darker but that wasn't working for me so I picked these shades from a Twitter graphic). I added the FGCU wordmark to go along with the Eagle logo on the front. Green gets a bigger presence on the uniforms as well, with the wings on the sleeves switching from white to green (sort of mimicking these uniforms). The shorts are now also green and the socks are blue. The clash is just a white version of the primary.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/27: Florida Gulf Coast)

Up next is Florida State:

hsnYjEp.png

FSU quidditch has a really good uniform, especially in terms of looking like an FSU team. They even use the same Seminole stripe as the football team. I kept a lot of the elements they currently have, though I injected in a bit of white to try and match the Seminole brand a bit better. I also added the feather on the shorts, inspired by the basketball team, though I kept it limited to the shorts rather than having them continue up the sides of the jerseys. The clash jersey is white, though it keeps the same gold collar and garnet sleeves as the main jersey, but replaces the full "Florida State" wordmark with an FSU monogram and a front number.

There's also an alternate take, which switches to a gold clash jersey and adds a gold pair of shorts:

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

SCoqgFE.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/28: Florida State)

We now take a brief venture outside the state of Florida as we visit the University of South Carolina:

WPjy1Yx.png

Pretty simple set for the Gamecocks, lining up with the rest of their brand. Full "South Carolina" wordmark on the front to prevent ambiguity with other Carolinas; this is justified by the women's basketball team. The asymmetrical striping on the shorts is pretty common among Carolina teams. Full garnet set for the most part, with only a white top in case of clash. I think this gives SC quidditch a look that adheres to the Gamecock brand while still being unique among other USC teams and is certainly an update over their current jerseys.

What do you think? C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/29: South Carolina)

As you approach Texas A&M, I figured I would throw you their quidditch logo. They tend to use maroon and black as their primary. Additionally, Texas A&M has a secondary team called silver Phoenix. Both logos are posted below. I haven’t found a high-quality version of Silver Phoenix yet, but I can dig.

spacer.png

spacer.png

MwI2rht_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

a&mbanner1.png

CAPSHIELDbackground4.png

On 5/30/2019 at 9:40 AM, appleclock said:

No complaints. I kinda like the gold pair of shorts for Florida State regardless of whether there’s a gold jersey. That could work with the main set.

I like the gold shorts too, the problem is that they're also against the current rules. Honestly, the shorts are the bigger problem; lots of snitches just wear regular shirts or jerseys but most snitch shorts are yellow. This is part of the reason the rule's starting to get outdated, but I digress.

22 hours ago, Capt. America said:

As you approach Texas A&M, I figured I would throw you their quidditch logo. They tend to use maroon and black as their primary. Additionally, Texas A&M has a secondary team called silver Phoenix. Both logos are posted below. I haven’t found a high-quality version of Silver Phoenix yet, but I can dig.

[images clipped]

Thanks! I've already done a lot of the research myself, but it's cool to know that other people are interested enough in this that they're willing to help me out and get interested in their own local quidditch teams. It's been cool to see quidditch people getting interested in design and design people getting interested in quidditch.

Anyway, here's UCF:

Ma7TMyL.png

The Nearly Headless Knights' current uniforms kinda speak for themselves, so I was basically starting from scratch here. I did include some knight-cosplay-looking touches on the uniform, though; the details on the collar come from the same spot on the alternate knight logo, and there's some subtle-ish breastplate-inspired striping on the front. The main set has the UCF logo on the front with the knight logo on the sleeves while the clash flips the two. The sword stripe found on UCF's football helmets finds its way to the shorts, and gold socks finish things off.

There's also an alternate take, which goes full mix-and-match with a black and a gold version of everything:

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

pPf4qs8.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/1: UCF)

The last team we'll be visiting from the South Division is USF:

7orumWE.png

The Bulls had a really good thing going with these jerseys that they had to go and ruin by wearing this to nationals. Basically, I just reverted them to those old jerseys, with a few updates. Most notably, the USF logo takes center stage instead of having to share real estate with a number. The clash is pretty basic, with just the U logo on a plain white jersey - I guess you could say it's inspired by their new threads. Green shorts have striping to echo the outlines of the U logo, and green socks complete the set.

C&C appreciated! No alternate take on this one because I was tired of doing them tbh don't @ me

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/3: USF)

Next is the Texas Southwest Division, and we start with Baylor:

boNDtgV.png

This concept for Baylor kind of combines their current jerseys with this old set of theirs, using the diagonal stripe from the former and the white sleeves from the latter. It also uses Baylor's new logo package, which was just released in April. The Baylor wordmark goes in the stripe, the new bear logo is on the sleeves, and the updated BU monogram is on the shorts. The shorts are white, because they've worn white shorts for a while now and it looks good. The clash jersey is white and follows the same format.

I also made an alternate take, which uses no white, as that seems to be the direction quite a few Baylor teams are taking this rebrand:

Spoiler

cv3wu9M.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/5: Baylor)

The next team up are the defending national champion Texas Longhorns:

MGrYDBX.png

Texas is the second-most successful program in quidditch history, winning World Cups 6 through 8 back-to-back-to-back and adding a fourth chip this April. In light of that, I didn't want to change too much from their current uniforms, though, there are a few notable things I did change. The word "Texas" now matches the rest of the Longhorns a little better, though I do like what the quid kids currently use. I added a name on the back; Texas has never worn NOBs to my knowledge, but since they have a B-team, I added them (more on that in a bit). I also removed the shield and the front number on their clash set because I thought they just cluttered things up, and I also removed all black because why was it there in the first place? White shorts and orange socks combine for the bottom half of the uniform.

Texas is also one of three schools who sent a B-team to Round Rock, so real quick, here are my guidelines for B-teams:

1. They should have a fun, interesting name, and it should be something distinct from their parent club.

2. They should have a simple design with design cues to the school they play for but still a distinct enough look so they don't get confused for each other. Also, they will never have names on the back; the idea being that if you're good enough to make the A-team you'll get a better-looking jersey that will have your name on it.

3. I think that's it actually, if I come up with anything else I'll put it here.

Without further ado, the team currently known as Austin Quidditch:

VMiIRir.png

"Austin Quidditch" is neither a fun nor an interesting name, so I've decided to reach into their past and bring back the Deluminators name, which is a badass Harry Potter name that frankly someone needs to be using. Neither jersey carries that name, though it does inform the choice to use charcoal as the main jersey color rather than white, which they currently use, though they do have history with black and dark gray jerseys. Also inspired by the Deluminators nickname is the lack of white on the main set, though the clash is white as I wanted orange jerseys to stick with the A-team. Orange shorts have consistently been Austin's thing (in contrast to Texas wearing white shorts), so I've continued that here, and charcoal socks round things out.

I know this was probably a lot to read through, but if you made it to the end, let me know what you think! (I would've had this up earlier but my internet crapped out for about 2 hours, so blame RPI.)

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/7: Texas)

Next is Texas A&M:

HUKgzP4.png

For the Aggies, I wanted to shout out their football uniforms' shoulder/sleeve stripes, but I didn't want to directly rip them off, so I confined them to the sleeves, which gives them a vertical-stripe look that I think is pretty unique. Other than that, their primary uniforms are pretty simple, with just the logo on the chest (this uninentionally makes these look very similar to, what as best as I can figure, were A&M's inaugural uniforms). The clash uniforms are white, and are a little more interesting, with a sublimated logo taking up much of the front and some of the back, echoing their current uniforms. This kit also has a wordmark since the aTm logo seemed a little redundant. Two pairs of shorts, each with the double stripe, and one pair of maroon socks.

A&M's B-team is the Silver Phoenix:

WcJQ0hF.png

Not a ton going on here. I traced the phoenix from this logo, which I think is better than the one they use now. Threw an S and a P on either side to echo the aTm logo. The main uniform is all silver, because why wouldn't it be, and the clash is a darker gray, sort of echoing their current uniforms but probably a little closer to this set. Threw a little bit of maroon in there as well to tie them back to A&M.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/8: Texas A&M)

Next is Texas State:

EjbVftV.png

Texas State has been another very successful team, and while they've never claimed a national championship, their 2018-19 squad has three players on the US national team, and there are at least two Texas State alumni wearing the Stars and Stripes as well. I wanted to give them a bit of a refresh while keeping the general look the same. The bobcat logo is the main feature on the primary, though the gold version is used as the maroon bobcat doesn't show up very well on a maroon background (see: their current uniforms). The front number sticks around, and the "TXST" logo is on the sleeves. The clash jersey carries the wordmark on two lines on the front with the bobcat in its standard colors on the sleeves. White shorts are the main option and maroon pants are an alternate look, and gold socks go with both jerseys.

On to their B-team:

HqsA7Mp.png

Texas State's B-team is currently called Bobcat Quidditch, which is both boring and confusing, so I reverted them back to the San Marcos Sharknados name they used prior to this season. I created a new logo which is inspired by their old logo without being a ripoff of the Sharks (though my shark still takes some design cues from San Jose). Jerseys are black and white, and each carries the logo and a number on the front to sort of mimic their A-team's look. The all-black look is maybe not the best for a team from Texas, but I didn't like any of the other shorts colors I tried, so too bad I guess?

C&C appreciated! I kinda feel like I'm talking to myself in here please be my friend

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/10: Texas State)

Baylor: Definitely like the set without the white, especially because that just looks more like Baylor to me. I also think going all-in with the gold and green could work with so many of your other concepts relying on a white clash uniform. I'm also not a huge fan of the diagonal stripe, but I think it undoubtedly works better on the alternate take. 

Texas: No complains -- maybe a stripe down the side of the shorts to give it a bit more balance and some color for the clash set. For Austin Quidditch, I like the general direction, but the shade of the charcoal feels too cool; something warmer that complements the Texas orange may be interesting. 

A&M: Love the primary, especially since it's immediately recognizable as TAMU. But the clash is bit underwhelming with the sublimated logo. For as a classy and on-brand the primary is, the clash feels like a lower-tier, gimmicky uniform. The Silver Phoenix is nice, but I feel like maroon shorts would help reinforce that this is TAMU. 

Texas State: I actually kind of like the maroon bobcat on the maroon jersey, especially since the gold bobcat with the white outline on your concept looks too cluttered on the front. The clash is great -- have you thought about using the TXST wordmark instead of the full "TEXAS STATE" mark? I think it could possibly looks very cool on the clash. I agree the all-black fir the Sharknados is a bit ambitious (not to mention quite susceptible to heat stroke in San Marcos), but it's a good looks. Maybe an all-gold look could work here? 

11 hours ago, every.ones.a.lobo said:

Baylor: Definitely like the set without the white, especially because that just looks more like Baylor to me. I also think going all-in with the gold and green could work with so many of your other concepts relying on a white clash uniform. I'm also not a huge fan of the diagonal stripe, but I think it undoubtedly works better on the alternate take. 

Texas: No complains -- maybe a stripe down the side of the shorts to give it a bit more balance and some color for the clash set. For Austin Quidditch, I like the general direction, but the shade of the charcoal feels too cool; something warmer that complements the Texas orange may be interesting. 

A&M: Love the primary, especially since it's immediately recognizable as TAMU. But the clash is bit underwhelming with the sublimated logo. For as a classy and on-brand the primary is, the clash feels like a lower-tier, gimmicky uniform. The Silver Phoenix is nice, but I feel like maroon shorts would help reinforce that this is TAMU. 

Texas State: I actually kind of like the maroon bobcat on the maroon jersey, especially since the gold bobcat with the white outline on your concept looks too cluttered on the front. The clash is great -- have you thought about using the TXST wordmark instead of the full "TEXAS STATE" mark? I think it could possibly looks very cool on the clash. I agree the all-black fir the Sharknados is a bit ambitious (not to mention quite susceptible to heat stroke in San Marcos), but it's a good looks. Maybe an all-gold look could work here? 

Thanks for the comment! I've tried to address each of your suggestions, though a lot of them were thoughts I already had and didn't particularly like. That said, here goes:

Baylor: I've been forgetting to post this with the alternate takes recently, but the reason I've been doing those is because USQ currently doesn't allow teams to wear yellow or gold as a primary jersey or shorts color, as that's the snitch's color, but people kept clamoring for yellow jerseys so I gave in. I definitely like the alternate set better in a vacuum, though.

Texas: I don't hate the striped shorts, it just doesn't look very Texas quidditch to me I guess? When I was making these, I kinda wanted to keep them extra simple and any striping felt like it would be too much.

Austin: That shade of charcoal is the same one UT uses in the school's branding, which gave me the whole idea to use charcoal instead of black in the first place. That said, I mocked it up with a shade that's a bit greener, and I think it looks a little better? I'm kind of on the fence about this one too tbh.

TAMU: I wanted to do something at least a little wild given that these are the jerseys they wear now. Quidditch uniforms in general tend to feature a lot of pretty wild design, which I've been trying to tame down a little bit but not completely get rid of. Anyway, here's a version with the opacity turned down a bit, and here's one where the clash follows the same pattern as the primary.

Silver: This just doesn't look good to me. Maybe it'll look good to you, but I don't really like it, and I definitely prefer the silver shorts look.

TXST: I combined both these suggestions into one concept. I agree that the maroon-on-maroon bobcat isn't a bad look, but I kinda wanted it to stand out a little more given that it's the main feature of the uniform. I might have also been trying to get more white into the jersey to justify the white shorts. The TXST on the clash isn't bad either, and does give me a nice place to add a front number, I'm just not sure it's exactly what I'm going for.

Sharknados: I tried a gold jersey as an alternate take for Texas State and didn't really like the way it looked, so I didn't try one for the Sharknados, but I think it looks pretty good. I also tried a version with a shade of aqua instead, based on their old Sharknados jerseys; I originally discounted this because it seemed too colorful for a B-team but it's another way to get around the all-black look.

15 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Thanks for the comment! I've tried to address each of your suggestions, though a lot of them were thoughts I already had and didn't particularly like. That said, here goes:

Baylor: Well, that definitely makes sense, although it's a shame in a vacuum because the gold and green sets are the best. But I can appreciate the design more that I know the guidelines regarding colors. 

Texas: That's completely fair. I think on the field these uniforms would play completely differently than on the screen. With so much white on the screen, this concept (in my opinion) screams for some more color, but on a grassy field, the all-white shorts would certainly look sharp. 

Austin: Yeah, both greys look fine, so it's really splitting hairs when it comes to which shade works best. I do really like that you picked the official charcoal color, it adds to the authenticity of this whole series. 

TAMU: Now that I see a photo of your inspiration, I can follow you design process and I do like the choice. I makes more sense with some context and really does a magnificent job of being an on-brand but unique clash to the instantly recognizable primary kit. 

Silver: I'm certainly inclined to agree with your original design after seeing the maroon shorts. I thought maroon might have worked, but I think you were spot on with the silver shorts. 

TXST: Both of your counterpoints make sense, and I think you have two good home-and-away concepts for the Bobcats. I like both almost equally. My only other comment is that I don't think you need the white-outlined Bobcat logo on your original home kit concept to justify the white shorts. I feel that there's enough white with the white numbers and the white-outlined "TXST" logo to visually justify the white shorts. 

Sharknados: You've got me in a bit of a conundrum, because I think the gold looks good but not necessarily better than the original choice of black. Both are great looking. The aqua throws me off a little -- it borders on a goalkeeper's clash jersey and not in a good way. 

This has been a really great series to follow! I'm looking forward to more concepts! 

I'm back with Texas Tech:

LLYpixb.png

Texas Tech currently wears white jerseys, but they've also worn both red and black in the past, and I kinda wanted to not do a white clash jersey, so I went red for the primary and black for the clash. Both have the double-T logo on the chest with the split stripe running behind it. The same stripe is on the shorts, and there's a pair of each color; contrasting shorts would be the main option I think but they could certainly go all-red or all-black if they wanted. Black is the only sock option; I considered adding a red pair but I felt like the color balance would be better without them.

Archived