Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

I really need to get on a more consistent schedule. I'll work on that while y'all take a look at the Long Beach Funky Quaffles:

spacer.png

These are very much in the theme of their current uniforms (stop me if you've heard this before). I did shift the chevrons down a little bit so the uniforms felt more predominantly one color; this allowed for me to embiggen their logo a bit. I also reverted to their old name/number font, which matches their logo and is much more unique than a standard block. They're also in the habit of wearing mismatched socks, which I think I would normally hate but seems totally on brand for a team with "Funky" in their name. The clash is pretty much a black-for-white swap of the primary, though it's a bit fauxback-y, as a Long Beach wordmark replaces the FQ monogram on the front.

Also, the first alternate take in a while, as a gold jersey allowed me to stay more faithful to their jersey design. The clash is still a fauxback, and is just a color-swapped version of the jersey from before:

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

spacer.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (9/16: Long Beach Funky Quaffles)
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up are the Los Angeles Gambits:

TA7cqBE.png

If there's a quidditch team you've heard of, there's a decent chance it's the Gambits. They've co-hosted (and won) a tournament with the LA Galaxy, they've practiced with Martellus Bennett, and they've even won $15,000 on a game show. Then, after they did all that, they went and completely rebranded. This concept was my attempt at reconciling these two brands, using mainly purple with yellow and black as secondary and tertiary colors respectively. First, I updated their logo to use all four colors and also use the new font I picked (which, by the way, is called Queen of Clubs). I also brought back their old script, because how could I not? The chest striping and shorts striping are co-inspired by the yoke/chest stripe on their old uniforms and the sleeve striping on their new uniforms, and the clash uniforms are inspired by playing cards.

Only two more teams left to go. C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (9/20: Los Angeles Gambits)

Speaking of game shows, here are the Lost Boys:

uHYye2h.png

The Lost Boys have always felt like they could pull off just black and red, and their current kits are pretty darn close. I decided to drop it entirely, at least on the primary, and I really like how it looks. I stuck with the white clash because 1) they play in LA and it's hot and 2) a red jersey didn't feel quite right, especially since they've never worn a red jersey. I also wanted to try a new take on the sash they've always worn; this one is a pretty obvious derivative of their logo. I also wanted to move them away from the MLS font, so I switched them to one they've been using in their marketing this summer.

I wonder if there's something about being in LA that might get you on TV more often 🤔 C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (9/22: Lost Boys)

I think it's time to finish off this series. Last but certainly not least, the Silicon Valley Vipers:

PIK0fx4.png

This isn't gonna be a very exciting conclusion to the series, because not a whole lot has changed from their actual uniforms to this concept. What has changed: the logo on the front has gotten a bit smaller and a number has been added to the front to fill in the space a bit better; the numbers and nobs have been changed from white to black, meaning only green and black are left on the uniform; and the shorts have changed from green to black because I wasn't a huge fan of the all-green look. The clash uniform is a black version of the primary, with the same black shorts and green socks.

C&C appreciated, and thanks to all of you who commented and followed along here! sorry for making 11 posts in a row

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

The Funky Quaffles look pretty sharp to me, especially that font. I'd make the FQ monogram black at home, but otherwise great!

For the Gambits, I think "Los Angeles" or "LA Gambits" would work better than just "LA" on the logo.

The home script is good but I don't like all the outlines. Maybe you could put the script in black on a white chest stripe, since the photos you linked show a chest stripe.

The away is really clever but it feels a tad blank to be a playing card. Adding a little Joker or a playing card back design might be fun!

The Vipers look solid, though the away is a bit odd with the light logo on the dark background. Good call ditching the green shorts.

Sorry to be so slow with my feedback. It's been a cool series; a unique idea to refresh Quidditch teams, and some nice designs. Good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry I went completely AWOL for a while. I'd been trying to do some Gambits updates, but apparently I never saved, and since I hadn't been able to touch it in nearly a week, it didn't cross my mind that I needed to do that, so I lost what I was working on. I tried your suggestions on them, @vtgcoincluding a joker/face card style illustration of quidditch players, but I was never really happy with what I came up with. Now, having just started a new job this week and with quidditch season starting back up, I don't think I'm gonna have the time to put back into this, but maybe I'll have more time on Sunday. We'll see.

Anyway, to address your thoughts specifically, a lot of why I didn't do the things you suggested is because I wanted to stay truer to these teams brands; I talked about my struggles with the Gambits, but their logo has been the same since they were founded (at least as far as I can tell), so I didn't want to change it too much, even though Los Angeles does look pretty good across the top. I also tried to call out the chest stripe, but I wanted to really reinforce purple as the main color and not add a ton of yellow or black, since purple is the only color they've always used, but I thought keeping the outlines would be a good way to add just a little bit of yellow and black.

Meanwhile, with LBFQ, a black logo does seem to make sense, but it just doesn't feel right? Idk I don't really have a good reason behind this one it just doesn't look quite right for the Funky Quaffles. And for the Vipers, the ghost logo does look weird, but 1) there is precedent and 2) I didn't think adding a third color or an outline would work.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry I didn't get back to you for so long and didn't really have anything new to show you.

Archived