Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

The next team up is Richmond:

fUNcvzC.png

I love that UR is the Spiders, but their quidditch team seems to have taken that as an opportunity to do some weird two-tone Spiderman cosplay. I was going to completely scrap it, but it turns out if you clean it up a little and make both sides of the jersey the same color, it's not such a bad look. I tried to balance red and blue as much as possible with just enough white to keep things looking clean, and every element has a red and a blue version. Also, since Richmond quidditch has an official logo and I don't completely hate it, I figured I should use it somewhere, so I popped it on the shorts.

Keep that C&C coming!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penn St looks much better without the stripe and I like how the two differ still with the logo placement.  Okay Richmond—just enough Spider-Man while still being Richmond.  I’d say you nailed that one; it’s fun but still good. That’s a great concept.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/19: Richmond)

Here's Rutgers:

ZyuDpRD.png

Rutgers has always had pretty simple uniforms, so I didn't want to do too much here. The R logo is on the primary along with a front number, while the clash has the knight logo. I traced the number font the rest of their teams use so they fit in. Stripes on the shorts so they're a little less boring.

C&C appreciated! Happy 4/20 and/or Passover and/or whatever food holiday is today because I'm sure there's one of those.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/20: Rutgers)

Up next we've got Virginia:

hEAQ10J.png

UVA's got a good look going for them right now, so I didn't want to change too much. I did change the chest stripe a bit; it's now thinner, higher up, and no longer continues onto the sleeves and back. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as their current uniform. For the clash, I tried out an orange jersey, but I didn't like anything I came up with better than this white one. This one gets a front number above the sabres from their logo with the striping moved to the sleeves. One pair of shorts, orange with the Northwestern stripe, and one pair of navy socks.

Let me know what you think, and have a happy Easter if that's your thing!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/21: Virginia)

I've been pretty silently following this series, but I have to compliment you on those Virginia unis.  That you found so many ways to incorporate that stripe is genius.

I'm not sure how exactly you're doing the order/regions, or what teams are included, but now that we're on the Mid-Atlantic, I'm wondering if you're doing one for WVU.  I have a couple of friends on the WVU Quidditch team, and I'd love to see a good look for them. 

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

1 hour ago, CaptainKirkMN said:

I've been pretty silently following this series, but I have to compliment you on those Virginia unis.  That you found so many ways to incorporate that stripe is genius.

I'm not sure how exactly you're doing the order/regions, or what teams are included, but now that we're on the Mid-Atlantic, I'm wondering if you're doing one for WVU.  I have a couple of friends on the WVU Quidditch team, and I'd love to see a good look for them. 

Thanks for the compliment! Unfortunately, I'm only doing the teams that made it to nationals this year, at least to start. I've thought about taking requests for other teams, or maybe for schools that don't have teams, but those will come after the rest of the series is finished. If I do, WVU will be first on the list.

The last stop in the Mid-Atlantic is Virginia Tech:

2JOKowu.png

Tech got new uniforms this year, and they're a big improvement over what they were wearing. That said, I did have a few adjustments to make. I flipped the chevrons so they make a V, and I made the bottom of the jersey the same color as the top, mainly because I wanted to make a maroon and an orange jersey and I thought if I made them two-tone they wouldn't clash enough. As it is, they're the same jersey other than the colors are flipped. One pair of maroon shorts with stripes based on the VT logo and one pair of orange socks.

C&C appreciated! Happy Earth Day! We've gotta be running out of holidays at this point!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/22: Virginia Tech)

Virginia and Virginia Tech are great—no complaints.  Rutgers... I’m not feeling that one for some reason. I like the clash jersey with the knight logo front and center, hockey style. But the red jersey is just kind of okay. Maybe lose the number and just go with the R. That would be pretty minimalistic but that’s kinda what I feel like you were going with on that one.

18 hours ago, appleclock said:

Virginia and Virginia Tech are great—no complaints.  Rutgers... I’m not feeling that one for some reason. I like the clash jersey with the knight logo front and center, hockey style. But the red jersey is just kind of okay. Maybe lose the number and just go with the R. That would be pretty minimalistic but that’s kinda what I feel like you were going with on that one.

I tried that, and I didn't really like what I came up with. I just don't think the R is strong enough to hold its own on the front of a jersey the way the knight logo is.

Hey I'm back! The Midwest is up next, starting with Creighton:

Mj7RzwU.png

The Bluejays have two jerseys currently, both of which have their issues. Their white jersey has white numbers and some weird pointy shapes on the shoulders and side panels, their blue jersey is long-sleeved for some reason and is otherwise really boring, and neither of them can figure out how to arrange their logo and number. I fixed all these issues and focused on a gradient between all three of Creighton's shades of blue, which shows up on the sleeves and the shorts stripe. I couldn't really figure out what color the 'Jays like to wear more, so I made white the primary, mostly because I think it looks better.

What do y'all think? C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/25: Creighton)

Been lurking on here for a while and I think these concepts are fantastic!

One thing I would say about Creighton, however, are that the pointy shapes are a heraldic ermine design which I assume comes from Creighton's coat of arms or seal, it would maybe be nice to see it implemented on the uni, although in a less tacky, more subtle way then on their current jerseys, cos right now the white jersey's sleeves aren't quite working for me, they sorta feel a little bit disconnected from the rest of the jersey imho.

Besides from that I think Creighton looks great

On 4/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

Starting off the Mid-Atlantic region is Appalachian State:

VvJX4qu.png

I started with the Mountaineers' current uniforms and toned them down about four or five notches. The double stripe down the front stays, but instead is accompanied by their block A logo and a front number instead of that ridiculous "APPARATORS" design. The stripes get moved to the sleeves on the alternate as a sort of fauxback to these jerseys. The numbers on the backs of both uniforms are double outlined to match the block A. Both uniforms are worn with black shorts and black socks, the former of which also carry the double stripe.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.

The off center stripes and logo are killer on the black jersey.

12 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

Been lurking on here for a while and I think these concepts are fantastic!

One thing I would say about Creighton, however, are that the pointy shapes are a heraldic ermine design which I assume comes from Creighton's coat of arms or seal, it would maybe be nice to see it implemented on the uni, although in a less tacky, more subtle way then on their current jerseys, cos right now the white jersey's sleeves aren't quite working for me, they sorta feel a little bit disconnected from the rest of the jersey imho.

Besides from that I think Creighton looks great

Yeah, the ermine pattern is on the university seal. Didn't even think to look there. How's this:

VKVfwbf.png

Interesting that you think the sleeves don't work on the white uniform, because I think they look a lot better on the white than on the blue.

9 hours ago, hutchins75 said:

I really enjoy these, especially the early MAC love on this thread.  Any Kent State forthcoming?

Unfortunately, I'm only doing teams that made it to Cup and Kent State's quidditch team isn't an official USQ team. I'm thinking I might do some extra concepts at the end, though, so I might come back to them.

11 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Yeah, the ermine pattern is on the university seal. Didn't even think to look there. How's this:

VKVfwbf.png

Interesting that you think the sleeves don't work on the white uniform, because I think they look a lot better on the white than on the blue.

Unfortunately, I'm only doing teams that made it to Cup and Kent State's quidditch team isn't an official USQ team. I'm thinking I might do some extra concepts at the end, though, so I might come back to them.

I think it’s just me, personally I’m not a massive fan of sleeve designs that don’t go up onto shoulder, for some reason.

However that looks amazing, the ermine adds a little more character to it

Illinois is the next team up:

jn7VOCQ.png

I've been thinking about doing a split jersey for a while but could never actually pull the trigger. The Illini have graciously given me an excuse, though, by wearing these uniforms, which I basically just simplified and put the I logo in the place of the Ridgeback that's currently there. I tried to emulate the split with a chest stripe on the accompanying blue jersey, and that stripe reappears on the shorts. Orange socks finish things out.

C&C appreciated! I've got a little bit of free time before finals start so I should be able to get a few of these done and not be so far behind oops

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/27: Illinois)

So I was gonna post this next one last night after the Bruins-Jackets game last night but then they had to go into two overtimes and all so you're getting Illinois State today instead:

ZnEOvvS.png

There's a lot to like about the Redbirds' current uniform, but there's a little too much black for me for ISU. I put a twist on the diagonal stripes, added their logo and a front number, and thought it looked pretty cool. I figured I'd go black for the clash jersey, though. If you want to know where that pattern came from, zoom in on the logo. Red and black pairs of shorts, with Braisher stripes to emulate the stripes on the jersey but also to bring all three colors to the table.

Let me know what you think!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/28: Illinois State)

Up next is Iowa, who managed to make it to and through USQC 12 without a single official win all year:

dGvNBJk.png

Iowa, to me, should be black first, gold second, and white only if necessary or in very small amounts. I also wanted to keep these pretty simple, with the Hawkeyes quidditch team being relatively young. The primary uniform has "IOWA" on the front and the Hawkeye logo on the sleeves, inspired by their current jerseys. The clash is white with black sleeves and yellow outlines on the wordmark and numbers. Black shorts and gold socks for both.

I've also created an alternate take, which is the same set except all the white is replaced with gold:

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

m5hHkmN.png

C&C appreciated!

Archived