Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last team in the Southwest is UTSA:

yP80X2m.png

UTSA has worn contrasting sleeves on quite a few of their uniforms, including their current ones, so I ran with it but kept it a bit simpler. UTSA wordmark on the front, roadrunner head on the sleeves. I decided to give them an orange clash jersey, even though they've never actually worn orange, mostly because there have been a lot of white jerseys recently and I didn't want to make another. Navy shorts and orange socks to pair with both.

C&C appreciated! Only one more college region left to go and then we can get onto the community teams...

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/15: UTSA)

We start off the West region with Arizona State:

31DX0Fu.png

This concept for ASU is very similar to their current uniforms, though it's significantly closer to these old uniforms since it actually includes gold. Other than that, it's pretty much the same, minus all the Adidas markings and plus a pitchfork stripe on the shorts. The clash goes white because it kind of has to under the current rules (but don't worry, there's an alternate take), and there's a pair of white shorts as well. One pair of socks, and they're maroon.

The alternate take, as it often does, just gets rid of white in favor of gold:

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

GXrHHat.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/16: Arizona State)

Up next are this year's national runners-up and the creators of quite possibly the greatest quidditch T-shirt ever created. Here's Cal:

ZTR90pP.png

I didn't change a ton from Cal's current uniforms, though I did ditch all white from the main set, which means the numbers are now gold and the white stripes on the shoulders are replaced with the Sather stripe. The main shorts are blue and have the Sather stripe down the sides. They also get a white clash jersey, which has the full California script because I really wanted to use the full California script, and a pair of white shorts, which will allow them to wear the blue-white-gold combo they like to wear if they want. Gold socks are their only option for the same reason (the one about the gold socks, not the one about the script. you probably figured that out but I bet somebody else didn't).

They also get an alternate take, which gives them a gold jersey and limits them to one pair of shorts:

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

yTVUqKu.png

C&C appreciated! No offense to Stanford btw; I have absolutely no feelings about the Cal-Stanford rivalry I just think the T-shirt is funny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/17: Cal)

Hey! I'm back. Real life happened for a bit, and I was having a bit of designer's block (is that a real term?) on UC Irvine, but it's done now:

vsx3588.png

The Anteaters' current uniforms aren't too bad, but the color scheme's out of whack, so I fixed that. I wanted to put "UC Irvine" on there somewhere (the team currently brands itself as Anteater Quidditch, and I feel like a lot of people don't know where the Anteaters come from), but keep the anteater, so I compromised a bit and used both. On the clash, I used the retro-er anteater, which is both fun and has "UCI" on it so it works both ways. The shorts are navy and have the same bubbly stripe on them, and the socks are gold.

Also hey look another alternate take where all I did was take the white jersey and make it gold instead please don't go where are you going

Spoiler

HPWeROF.png

What do you think? Do they look good? Do they look awful? Do they look exactly like Cal? Tell me about it below!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/20: UC Irvine)

Next up is UCLA:

mXDol31.png

UCLA (like the other two UCs we've already covered) has pretty solid uniforms, but they just don't feel like UCLA to me. The Bruins are famous for a specific type of stripe, and given that the quidditch team has already worn a very similar stripe, it made too much sense not to make that connection. It does cut off long before the armpits, which I did because a) the precedent and b) no other UCLA team seems to wear the stripes exactly like the football team, so I didn't want to rip them off completely, but they should be big, noticeable, and easily identifiable with UCLA. White clash, white shorts, and blue socks, keeping things pretty simple.

I didn't do an alternate take on this one because everything I came up with seemed worse than this. C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/21: UCLA)

Here's Utah:

cL4WAo3.png

The unique striping on this one is largely inspired by Utah's current uniforms, though the striping on the shorts is new. The primary jersey is white, as Utah has always worn white at home, though all other pieces of the set are red. Utah on the front of the jerseys and a logo on each side of the shorts. It's pretty unique, so I wanted to keep it relatively simple so it wouldn't look totally wacky.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/23: Utah)

Jeez, has it really been four days since I posted Utah? Sorry about that, y'all. Anyway, here's the last college team to make nationals and also the West regional champs, Utah State:

mjnx3S0.png

Utah State's current jerseys aren't bad, but I thought having an abstract mountain design on the front and an actual mountain on the back might have been a little too much. Instead, I focused on the front of the shirt, and traced the mountains from this picture of the Bear River Range, which is right next to USU's campus. I took some inspiration from the Jazz's city edition as well with a subtle gradient on the front. Navy and pewter jerseys, navy shorts, and pewter socks, with a little bit of white sprinkled in.

This isn't the end of this series, though! There are 24 community teams I'll be tackling, and I've gotten a few requests for colleges that weren't on my list. I'll probably tackle the schools first so I don't lose my entire audience by the time I get to them. (By the way, if you have a request to make, now would be the time to do it). In the meantime, let me know what you think of Utah State!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/27: Utah State)

Here's West Virginia, as requested by @CaptainKirkMN:

l51yUF3.png

This set was inspired by WVU's current uniforms, though obviously, I changed things up a little. The set revolves around a double stripe based on the WV logo, and is used as a chest stripe and as a shorts stripe. The logo goes on the chest where their logo currently is. No white on the main set, because in my mind, West Virginia doesn't need it. There's a white clash (though the alternate take has a gold one) and navy shorts and socks to wear with both jerseys.

And you guessed it, the alternate take is basically just the same concept but with a gold jersey and a gold pair of shorts:

Spoiler

sd5SN2R.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (6/30: West Virginia (Taking Requests!))

Next up is Kent State, requested by @hutchins75:

oFwHSrL.png

Despite being an unofficial team, Kent State still has four (by my count) players who play for Major League Quidditch's Cleveland Riff, so it was still hard for me to decide which names to put on the jerseys. That said, their jerseys (if you can call them that) are pretty basic, so I didn't want to go too crazy here, though I did use the number font most of Kent's other teams are using. Anyway, there's not a lot to explain here, just two jerseys with the logo on the front, one pair of navy shorts, and one pair of navy socks.

I threw together an alternate take as well, where the white jersey is gold instead:

Spoiler

adVToSc.png

C&C appreciated! I probably won't have much time to post tomorrow, so have a happy Fourth of July and/or a happy belated Canada Day! @Dan O'Mac, Wisconsin will be up next.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/3: Kent State (Taking Requests!))

Sorry about the wait, but I had a much busier weekend than I expected. Without further ado, here's Wisconsin, requested by @Dan O'Mac:

QMb0yoM.png

I wanted to keep things relatively simple and classic-looking for the Badgers, which will be a bit of a departure from their current uniforms. The primary jersey is red, as it should be, with a Wisconsin wordmark and a front number. The clash is a bit of an homage to this jersey, the most Wisconsin-looking jersey I could find, though the W is on the other side and is joined by a number. Shorts are white with the "Forever Forward" stripe up the sides, and socks are red.

C&C appreciated! New Mexico will be next, followed by Boston College.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/7: Wisconsin (Taking Requests!))

Here's New Mexico, requested by @every.ones.a.lobo:

SFr4ld6.png

So UNM had a team from about 2012 to about 2014, and then they apparently dissolved and wiped almost every trace of themselves from the internet. I tried for days to find any resource to show what their jerseys looked like, but I finally gave up. About all I could find were the names of their two original captains, but the numbers on the jerseys are random and the rest is just me making a quidditch jersey that looks like New Mexico. So here it is - the red jersey has a New Mexico wordmark, while the white clash has a UNM monogram, which is the official university logo, but the baseball and softball teams use it, and it's a good logo, so I used it. The shorts are red, while the socks and the jersey collars are silver to get some silver in the set.

What do you think? C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/11: New Mexico (Taking Requests!))

Trying to get this back on a normal pace again. Here's Boston College, requested by @Darknes:

yESRcZr.png

I found some evidence of quidditch happening at BC, but it seems that's the only quidditch that has happened there, but I did steal two of the names from that article. Otherwise, I was kind of on my own. I stuck their logo on the front and added some cool striping on the sides based on their hockey jerseys. Maroon primary jerseys and white clash jerseys with maroon shorts and gold socks going with both sets.

I also couldn't resist making a gold jersey. I thought about gold shorts too but I didn't like it as much so I stopped thinking about it. Anyway here it is:

Spoiler

IycYwfs.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/12: Boston Coll. (Taking Requests!))

Up next is Oklahoma State, requested by @mamiller99:

8DpyVka.png

This set is based around simplifying their current jerseys, which are pretty good, but also pretty complicated. I carried over the contrasting shoulders and sleeves, but got rid of the weird steel pattern and smoothed everything out. The primary jersey is orange with black shoulders while the clash is the opposite. Black shorts and orange socks go with both sets. The oSu logo is on the front of both jerseys and I decided to put Pistol Pete on the shorts.

C&C appreciated! I have one more request which came from off-line but then I'm planning to move on to the community teams (so if you have a request you haven't made do it now!).

Archived