Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

Next up is Drexel, requested by @Sarcastronaut (welcome to the boards!):

DjnAwtu.png

So it took us a while, but we finally got to an appropriate name for the Harry Potter universe 😂 Anyway, Drexel's current uniforms are pretty good, but that pattern reminds me quite a bit of a dragon wing, so I figured, why not use a dragon wing? I grabbed the wing from this logo and stuck it on the front with a Drexel wordmark. I figured I'd stick it on the back as well since that's how the team does it now, and what good does having only one wing do for you? I didn't like the way the wings looked on blue as much, so that's why the primary is white and that's why the blue jersey takes a different approach, with three stripes serving as a sort of minimalist version of the wing. The D-dragon logo finds its way onto this one as well. Blue shorts and gold socks complete both sets.

C&C appreciated! Unless someone makes another request in the next day or so, this will be the last college team. I'll still be doing community teams, though, so don't touch that remote!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/16: Drexel (Taking Requests!))
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Next up is Drexel, requested by @Sarcastronaut (welcome to the boards!):

DjnAwtu.png

So it took us a while, but we finally got to an appropriate name for the Harry Potter universe 😂 Anyway, Drexel's current uniforms are pretty good, but that pattern reminds me quite a bit of a dragon wing, so I figured, why not use a dragon wing? I grabbed the wing from this logo and stuck it on the front with a Drexel wordmark. I figured I'd stick it on the back as well since that's how the team does it now, and what good does having only one wing do for you? I didn't like the way the wings looked on blue as much, so that's why the primary is white and that's why the blue jersey takes a different approach, with three stripes serving as a sort of minimalist version of the wing. The D-dragon logo finds its way onto this one as well. Blue shorts and gold socks complete both sets.

C&C appreciated! Unless someone makes another request in the next day or so, this will be the last college team. I'll still be doing community teams, though, so don't touch that remote!

Ayyyyyy I love it. I would be interested in seeing what the first one looks like with a gold base instead of the white (and maybe with that white border around Drexel and the # instead of the gold)

6 minutes ago, Sarcastronaut said:

Ayyyyyy I love it. I would be interested in seeing what the first one looks like with a gold base instead of the white (and maybe with that white border around Drexel and the # instead of the gold)

Something like this?

v3T651v.png

I thought about doing something like this as an alternate take but I didn't think the wing looked as good on the yellow as it did on the white. On its own, though, it's not that bad of a look.

6 minutes ago, Bomba Tomba said:

There should be a rule that allows yellow, then the snitch could wear a color not worn by either team (ex. if yellow and blue are playing, snitch is red)

Yeah, that would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it? Especially since a lot of snitches already don't even bother with yellow tops. I don't make the rules, though, I just play by them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first community team we get to visit is District of Columbia Quidditch Club:

OAhQFAz.png

DCQC already have some solid uniforms, but a couple of things bother me. Obviously, they're based heavily on the DC flag, but the bottom stripe instead continues down and makes the bottom half of the jersey red. I don't have a huge problem with this, but I think it would look better if it was more true to the flag, and I like the way it turned out. My second problem is the shorts; they seem too busy for the relatively simple jersey. I did keep the Washington coat of arms, but I split the number out and put it on the other side. I also changed them to white because I thought the all-white looked cleaner on them. My main problem, though, is this font. Gross. I tried to keep the same relative shapes intact but closer to a blockier font. Meanwhile, the clash jersey is blue, and like the district it hails from, is split into quadrants. Pretty simple set apart from that.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/17: District of Columbia QC)
2 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

The first community team we get to visit is District of Columbia Quidditch Club:

OAhQFAz.png

DCQC already have some solid uniforms, but a couple of things bother me. Obviously, they're based heavily on the DC flag, but the bottom stripe instead continues down and makes the bottom half of the jersey red. I don't have a huge problem with this, but I think it would look better if it was more true to the flag, and I like the way it turned out. My second problem is the shorts; they seem too busy for the relatively simple jersey. I did keep the Washington coat of arms, but I split the number out and put it on the other side. I also changed them to white because I thought the all-white looked cleaner on them. My main problem, though, is this font. Gross. I tried to keep the same relative shapes intact but closer to a blockier font. Meanwhile, the clash jersey is blue, and like the district it hails from, is split into quadrants. Pretty simple set apart from that.

C&C appreciated!

I really like these, it looks better without the extra red, and the clash is actually really cool

Next up is Philadelphia Freedom QC:

aruBwLi.png

This set for Freedom is a combination of their current kits (yes, those really are two separate jerseys) and their uniforms from back when they were the Honey Badgers. The gradient stripes on their current uniforms straighten out to resemble the Honey Badgers set, and are red partly for the same reason and partly because MURICA. The shorts are pretty tame to bridge the gap between the crazy stripey jerseys and the crazy stripey socks, which are inspired by their mascot, Flabenjamin. Why do they have a flamingo mascot when their logo has an eagle in it? Why don't you stop asking so many questions? Anyway, the clash follows the same pattern but is now blue with red stripes, once again calling back to the PHB set. This set also features a Flabenjamin logo I created, but if you hate it, you can switch it out for the primary logo. They also get a pair of red alternate shorts they can use if they want.

There's kind of a lot to process here, and I'm sure you all probably have thoughts on the matter, so leave them below!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/18: Philadelphia Freedom QC)

Up next, we visit the Carolinas and check out Southern Storm:

4PCOLfp.png

The primary jersey isn't too different from Storm's current jerseys. I did change to the lowercase version of their logo because I like it better. The gradient now fades to gray instead of white because it'll tie into the clash jersey (more on that in a bit), and if you look closely, the lightning bolts are shaped like the NC/SC border. I didn't want to make a white (or yellow, for that matter) jersey with a name like Storm, so I used gray instead, and used a rainy-looking pattern on the front with just the hurricane logo in the center. Both kits have matching shorts and socks, but as always, the team can mix and match them.

C&C appreciated as always!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/20: Southern Storm)

Here are the two-time reigning Mid-Atlantic regional champions, the Warriors:

i3IojVY.png

These Warriors are based in the New York City area but are officially located just across the Hudson in New Jersey, conveniently placing them in the Mid-Atlantic rather than the Northeast. The two jerseys I made for them are very similar to the two they wear now, with some changes. The chevron on the front is slightly changed to match the double outline on the numbers, and the W logo is moved above the chevron to avoid having to place it in an awkward black circle. Also, those weird shoulder things are gone, whatever they are. The black jersey is basically the same with the base changed to black; I nearly recreated their black jerseys but I would have basically just been recreating their black jerseys and I also like how this looks so you can just look at what that looks like irl. The shorts now match the blue they use on their jerseys (this isn't honestly a huge problem as it is, but I do like this shade of blue) and stripes are added to emulate the chevron and number outlines as well. I also gave them striped socks, but they'll probably just keep wearing the custom socks they currently have (I wasn't messing with that pattern just for a pair of socks, lol).

That looks like a wall of text, so I'm sorry, but if you made it through (or skipped it entirely) and you have some C&C, I'd love to hear it!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/22: Warriors)

Up next, a team that formed last summer and already has a Midwest regional title and a Final Four berth under its belt, Boom Train:

Ba5gEFn.png

Based out of the Chicago/Milwaukee area, Boom Train chose (imo) a really nice color scheme to represent both cities in powder blue and red. I wanted to keep codominance between the two, similar to Boom's current duds, but there were a few things that I changed. First, I wasn't a big fan of the skylines, especially given that one of them had to be upside down, so I ditched those. Second, I simplified the train down to the one in their logo, and flipped one of those upside down for reasons I'm not really sure of other than it looks cool. I guess having an elevated train is kind of a shoutout to Chicago? Anyway, I also got rid of the weird paintball splat on the backs of their jerseys. I do admire them, though, for choosing Impact for their number font, so I kept that. Overall, the white primary jersey is pretty simple, and while the clash is really just a paint bucket of the primary, I think it's at least an exciting and unique one! I kept their shorts design the same as it is now, and I gave them white socks, which I normally don't like but I think works for the Train.

If y'all don't have anything to say about any of this, I'm gonna have to start making stuff up. C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/24: Boom Train)
9 hours ago, JG36 said:

I’m a sucker for light blue, and something about the font and stripes (and the name haha) makes me think this set is the best you’ve done.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I'm not a fan of the upside down train. I'd actually flip it to the other side of the line (for the Chicago elevated train) and have it outside that "chest stripe".

I think this loses a lot of the symmetry and cohesiveness that the other design had, with everything fitting neatly within the stripe. It's not a bad suggestion, though:

qMO6fpk.png

The only other team from the Midwest to qualify was Twin Cities QC:

sqqh8cM.png

TCQC (not to be confused with DCQC under any circumstances) has a really nice look going already. The sweater design is really clever, but I wanted to simplify it a little, so I simplified it down to just the one stripe. I also fixed the font, as the one they use now is nigh unreadable and they already have a really nice font that they use in their logo. The clash harkens back to this jersey from back when they were called TC Frost, but I switched the colors around because BFBS is like sooooo ten years ago. With the shirts using such different motifs, I kept the shorts simple and the socks plain blue.

That's all for now. C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/27: Twin Cities QC)

Next, we move on to the Northeast, starting with the Atlantic Dragons:

y4m7U65.png

Finally, a club team that isn't blue The Dragons, who are based out of Brooklyn, already wear a really solid uniform. There are a couple of things I changed about it, though. I removed the word "Atlantic" from inside the tail of the script, as well the sleeve and hem stripes, because I didn't think they brought much of anything to the jersey. I took their logo (which, yes, is a three-headed dragon) and put it in a hexagon, since that's how it usually appears, and added a sleeve number opposite it to balance things out. I also changed their primary shorts to purple, though they still get a black pair as an alternate look. The clash jersey is white because I didn't think purple clashed enough and yellow is currently not allowed. I tried to get as much of every color in there as I could, but I'm much more happy with the yellow version I made for the alternate take:

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

SxuED1S.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/28: Atlantic Dragons)

Next up are the BosNYan Bearsharks:

jz3kl55.png

The Bearsharks are co-headquartered in Boston and New York, which explains the BosNY name, and the BosNY name, in turn, explains their uniforms, which are based on the flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Now if BosNY's look was actually left up to me, I don't think I'd touch their jerseys at all, so this concept is kind of change for the sake of change, but I didn't think it would be very exciting to just put their current uniforms on a template, give them matching shorts, and call it a day. I've always wondered what a BosNY set would look like with a sash to better emulate the Bosnian flag, so I did that, and I think their logos (which, yes, are a bear in a shark costume and a shark in a bear costume) look pretty darn good on top of it. Shorts have a matching stripe and come in two different colors (these could also go with their current jerseys). Anyway, not much has changed, but the Bearsharks have consistently had one of the best brands in quidditch, so I didn't really need to change much.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (7/31: BosNYan Bearsharks)

Archived