I actually wish teams with pinstripes were consistent: wear them at home and on the road.

If not for the old tradition of road uniforms being plain/basic, the Yankees probably would have adopted them once they established their now-iconic look.

A gray version of their home would be fine for a road uni - and give fans around the country the chance to see the Yankees look like "the Yankees" (though other than the unnecessary white, I have no issue with their current road.)

Has anyone ever worn pinstripes in which the stripes were lighter than the main color?

6 minutes ago, mjrbaseball said:

Has anyone ever worn pinstripes in which the stripes were lighter than the main color?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, mjrbaseball said:

Yankees almost did - when they went to double-knit, this was going to be their road uniform:

spacer.png

Fortunately better judgment prevailed. 

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yankees almost did - when they went to double-knit, this was going to be their road uniform:

spacer.png

Personally, I love these.  They have an old school look to them.

36 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

spacer.png

We have former Yankee media director Marty Appel to thank for scuttling the plan to use these uniforms, as he describes in his 2013 book Now Pitching for the Yankees (page 80). 

...in 1974 I walked into Gabe Paul's office to find sample of new Yankee road uniforms draped across his sofa. They were the opposite of the home pinstripes — they were navy blue with white pinstripes.  The NY logo was in white.  Gabe liked them.  I nearly fainted.  Although the drab gray road uniforms were not exciting, with the plain NEW YORK across the chest, they were just as much the Yankees' look as were the home uniforms. I think my dramatic disdain helped saved [sic] the day and saved the Yankees from wearing these awful pajamas on the field.

18 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

Personally, I love these.  They have an old school look to them.

If by "old school" you mean 1903.

Click to go back

The only team that could ever pull something this off is the White Sox, as they successfully did from 1976 to 1981 with a design that harked back to a style that the team had worn for more than a decade beginning in 1902.

Click to go back  Click to go back

(The only flaw in the White Sox' 1976-80 uniform was that the collar didn't go all the way around the shirt.)

That blue Yankee uniform is the perfect example of something that is nice as a fashion jersey, but that would be utterly inappropriate for the team to wear on the field.

But it was appropriate in 1903...

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

We have former Yankee media director Marty Appel to thank for scuttling the plan to use these uniforms, as he describes in his 2013 book Now Pitching for the Yankees (page 80). 

If by "old school" you mean 1903.

Click to go back

The only team that could ever pull something this off is the White Sox, as they successfully did from 1976 to 1981 with a design that harked back to a style that the team had worn for more than a decade beginning in 1902.

Click to go back  Click to go back

(The only flaw in the White Sox' 1976-80 uniform was that the collar didn't go all the way around the shirt.)

That blue Yankee uniform is the perfect example of something that is nice as a fashion jersey, but that would be utterly inappropriate for the team to wear on the field.

Not sure How you can say the White Sox uniform was “successful”. We’re you around to see it in action and hear people’s opinions? Besides the ridiculous collar, they were also untucked and looked like beer-league softball. 

Are you sayinf that that this is a “successful” major league uniform?  Even the hat was pretty ridiculous in how much it clashed with the jersey lettering. 

do8b5h.jpg

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure How you can say the White Sox uniform was “successful”. We’re you around to see it in action and hear people’s opinions? Besides the ridiculous collar, they were also untucked and looked like beer-league softball. 

Are you sayinf that that this is a “successful” major league uniform?  Even the hat was pretty ridiculous in how much it clashed with the jersey lettering. 

do8b5h.jpg

I sure was around.

And I agree that the cap logo clashed with the jersey lettering. A more appropriate cap logo would have been the C from the jersey font.

But, even given the mismatched cap, the half-collar in place of a full collar was that uniform's most serious problem.

Overall the look was striking and beautiful. It succeeded in utilising early-20th century aesthetics and in breaking contemporary traditions (untucked shirt; no stirrups) in a way that no other team — certainly not the Yankees — could ever have done.

Do not even try to tell me that this is not a gorgeous uniform.

s-l300.jpg

Fisk.png

If we can imagine the collar going all the way around (as well as a C cap), it becomes spectacular.  

The 1917 and 1925 White Sox also wore dark uniforms with white pinstripes.

spacer.png spacer.png