Heavy's Concepts Take 2 - Birmingham, AL **86/??**

heavybass

I'm moving onto the next team to be fixed the Ravens.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMqrs5tzKOB1zNLKqjpFeMFuOlE8vcL7WPrW4aexaW50KEe3UfrFnQ-EzrVH1GfVg?key=aXJDcUUtdndxd1N5WHRzRXBDRHVFMUpJeVZSQ2hn

Yolks are gone and the gold is merely decorative apart from alternate and throwback and it features the other half of Maryland's flag stable... red. I figured the Ravens could play around with red, black, purple and white.

The alternate is darker therefore, I would darken the colours to match... CC if needed, we got three teams to fix and then finalise the Jets.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay... I’m going to try and give you the best feedback I can. Fair warning, this will probably get long, and some of it may not sound very nice, but I’m just going to be honest and tell you straight up what needs to be worked on. I’m not gonna worry about old stuff, just what you’ve done since you declared you were “slowing down” since that SHOULD be your better work, although to be honest, if you put one of the before and after side by side, they probably wouldn’t be that different. Okay, let’s get started 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:05 AM, heavybassX said:

I like to answer a few of those questions if i can as to fill the backgrounds of why things are different... it's also in the last thread that was nuked.

1, The NFL had a strike season of 2021 because the NFLPA and the league couldn't come up with an agreement thus the Super Bowl wasn't played... everyone lost money and the scapegoat was Goddell, he was immediately fired after the confirmation of a strikeout season.

2, Adidas and Under Armor challenged the exclusivitiy deal of NFL's deal with Nike and it went to the highest court in the land which ruled that it was an unfair competitive advantage and forced Nike to drop teams in order to not being fined in the billions... they kept some teams in return like the Rams and the Cowboys.

3, Big City is what it's called and it's essentially done by the designers, kind of like what the NBA does.... and there are some bad, BAD ones.

This? Before I evaluate the points, I just want to say that none of this was stated until two pages into the thread. This is information that needs to be in the first post. Don’t just assume everyone knows your storyline you made up. Let us know beforehand 

Now, onto the points. Points one and two, I have no issues with. It’s your thread, your future, and your concepts, so those changes are completely up to you and I don’t have a problem there. Number 3? I also don’t have a problem there, I may not like many NBA City alternates, but again, it’s your thread, so you make the rules by which you design teams. The issue I DO have with it though is how you just say they’re going to be bad, like you’re proud of that. Just because they’re city themed, doesn’t mean they have to be bad. All of your City jerseys have been weird recolored versions of the primaries. Why not try using a city skyline or something? Use stuff that actually represents what the city is about if you’re going to do a city themed alt, don’t just throw some random colors on there and tell us it’s based on the city. 

Okay, next thing I want to get into is the random “fill tool” design as some people call it, which is basically just using the paint bucket or fill tool and clicking somewhere on a template and calling it a design. It’s a crutch some people use when they can’t think of what to do, don’t know how to make an actual design, or just want to get something done as soon as possible. You can see it here on your Chargers (and many others I didn’t take time to put here):

FNd4FhT.jpg

No team has ever filled in the belt holder like that before (or at least no team that has looked good). 

And it’s apparent on your helmets as well:

kS4BhWh.jpg

Facemask clips are almost always clear, with a few teams using white and black. The only team who has used colored clips (to my knowledge) is the Redskins, and their gold clips look very tacky in my opinion. No teams color the front or back bumpers on the helmets outside a select few college teams who use black stickers to cover them, and literally no one ever has used team colors on the padding inside the helmet.

This is the number one tip off of someone using the “click and fill” design method: colored portions that no team has ever used before. 

And then of course there’s this:

vcg63kv.jpg

Why are the stars placed so far forward on the front view? And why is the stripe slanted so much? On the side detail, neither are like that. 

And on the Rams:

JvV9bss.jpg

First off, the horns are very clearly hand drawn when better tools are available to do that, but that’s not even what I want to focus on with this. Why is there just a random white stripe? And the horns, one goes forward, and one goes backwards? And the TV numbers... 

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I know you know how shoulder numbers work. When we’re saying you need to put more time into it, we’re referring to the lack of effort to the simplest parts of the uniform 

^^^^^^This

It’s small things that don’t take much extra effort that are just lacking here. Take that extra 30 seconds to put the logo in the right place at the right angle, it makes a difference. 

My legitimate, down to Earth advice:

Right now? Maybe the entire NFL is a little much. I don’t mean that as a bad thing, but it might be the reality of the situation. What I’d suggest is pick one team, whether it’s your favorite team, a team you think currently has an ugly uniform, or whatever, just pick one team, work really hard on that one team, post it, let people critique that one team and make tweaks until that team is finished. 

Don’t take any of this as discouragement though, that’s not at all what I’m trying to do, in fact I’m trying to do the opposite. I want to see improvement, I enjoy looking at concepts, so I’m all for seeing you improve. But me just saying I want to see improvement won’t make it happen, and you just saying you slowed down won’t make it true, you actually need to look at what people are saying and listen. Good luck moving forward 

At the OP of the thread is a new glossary including links to the teams that will be available as well as expansion teams and other kits I feel like doing... that being said, I have made all the necessary adjustments, fixed a lot of the problems some of you have highlighted and I shall now run down the list...

• Rams - Issue with horns is now fixed, I consider the kit done. TV numbers on shoulders is good too
  • Chargers - TV nums on shoulders, kit's fixed.
  • Cowboys - Pretty much done with the kit, the sleeves are fixed... all as it should be.
  • Ravens - TV nums as usual, pretty much that's it, just cleaned up a few areas

Now we move onto the Jets... I have found a fix, however it means I'm officially keeping the alt as it is originally but I have specifically made a 2nd alt for you guys after playing around with some colors and I figured most will agree with what I came up with... here's what they SHOULD of gone with. 

eD9lcGV6DZ6F5HIaKOM3MbP1q_B5CZB8wTpwneK_

57 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Tv numbers on the shoulders still aren’t correct, you know how a football uniform looks right?

I swear to god it's no pleasing some people.... fine i'll do it again, after spending 3 :censored:ing hours doing this. 

Look at the shoulder numbers in this picture:

oybUCoI.jpg

That’s what we mean. You have one number on each shoulder facing forward

What I mean is, yours reads like:

9 (player’s head) 6

When it should be:

(sideways 96) (player’s head) (sideways 96)

4 hours ago, heavybassX said:

I swear to god it's no pleasing some people.... fine i'll do it again, after spending 3 :censored:ing hours doing this. 

I think you are missing the point of posting concepts on here for C&C. I've been in a similar situation where I'd posted something that had taken a lot of time. Right after I posted it, someone pointed out an obvious mistake. But that's how these boards work. If you want people to see when you've done good work, you also have to recognize they will point out mistakes as well. I haven't seen one person belittle or ridicule, even though it's clear you are not listening to the same advice being offered multiple times. I'd suggest you listen to these people, or your work will get ignored.

1 hour ago, jn8 said:

Look at the shoulder numbers in this picture:

oybUCoI.jpg

That’s what we mean. You have one number on each shoulder facing forward

What I mean is, yours reads like:

9 (player’s head) 6

When it should be:

(sideways 96) (player’s head) (sideways 96)

I'll make the fix on Monday/Tuesday... kinda need to take a rest.

I just want to clarify: Is it your intent on the Rams jerseys for the horn on the sleeve to point both forwards and backwards? It's fine if you're aiming for a Patriots-like jersey, but if you're aiming for a horn I believe you should have the horn coming from the front and curving back around. In other words, it shouldn't be symmetrical on both the front and views. Look at the Rams' throwbacks right now - the horn starts as a shoulder stripe then finishes on the sleeve, curling forwards. I'm not saying you have to do it like this, but it would make the jerseys more visually appealing.

One final critique - the white space on the away jersey for the Rams is awkward - try to have the yellow sleeve caps mesh with the blue horns. Starting the horn off as a shoulder stripe might fix this

and from what I see, the Rams' jerseys still don't have correct TV numbers. Move one of the numbers to the jersey back, and see if you can angle them in line with the curve of the jersey, like in the Gridiron Uniform Database's graphic. Sorry if this is too much criticism, but I think making these fixes will really help in the overall appearance of your concepts.

2018_LARams.png

Reaction

This is going to be the last change to the Rams because I want to upload the next fixed team.... right now actually.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMJIuXsADvN3-R5OAD8gPxIxJYVkiTssQJu80Ee

Time for the fix up for the Detroit Lions... and I've mostly done cleaning up, mostly because I wanted to get this done... so here's the final three, any changes I can do to the Lions will be post but then again referring to an earlier post, how can you fix a team that's mostly Honolulu blue, silver and white.

4k0lKxo0gHqkfQ8jafs6QBcSRA1DixJj-ggDNAEB

gtOAAnSotsdnfloHSLbfYI7V13U7Yln-fULfhUAT

zLM4kDwRHACIrZddaFPUVKuaqoL4P4u5LbbHy2Ea

Archived