Heavy's Concepts Take 2 - Birmingham, AL **86/??**

heavybass

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, hutchins75 said:

Some solid work.  I could do without some of the alternates/others.  Anything that introduces a non-traditional color to the scheme does not work for me.

Blame the NBA for the non-traditional colors, I just make the ideas.

Time to reveal the final three for the Ravens... The alternate was a no-brainer as it nearly got dropped for the throwback but Ravens being dark, broody and mysterious needed a look that evolves from their color rush as it doesn't exist here. (caw)

HOME
fTvXcPVl.png

ROAD
x5DqPvkl.png

ALTERNATE
jVA8gL3l.png

2 hours ago, heavybassX said:

Time to reveal the final three for the Ravens... The alternate was a no-brainer as it nearly got dropped for the throwback but Ravens being dark, broody and mysterious needed a look that evolves from their color rush as it doesn't exist here. (caw)

HOME
fTvXcPVl.png

ROAD
x5DqPvkl.png

ALTERNATE
jVA8gL3l.png

What is your reasoning for the yoke?

So let's head back to the NFC and to a North team... it's the team known in Michigan as...

THE DETROIT LIONS

HOME

yQ33fcjm.png

MmYVyznm.png
RoIf6mmm.png

ROAD
CSgJ3Tlm.png
sVU5Wykm.png
m4p2TgDm.png

OTHER
ijvBfA7m.png
V1NakXAm.png

qskUTghm.png

So here's what I did with the Lions.... made the Alternate Black with mixes of Honolulu Blue and a lighter blue, then with the Throwback essentially pay tribute to the 1991 Lions who went to the NFC title game only to lose to the Redskins that beat Buffalo in that Super Bowl and finally the big city desgin... essentially paying tribute to Muscle Cars, Detroit's most well known contribution.

EDIT: Version 2 essentially get rid of the stripes, went with the Lions name.

Imma be completely honest with you, these are not good. It’s important to understand uniforms as a language in which you can convey to a viewer/critic. In football design language, the belt holder is not (or should not be) a piece. Nor should an oddly colored helmet bumper. Study the trends in football uniforms over time and understand what makes a good uniform to you and others. What elements are good for establishing a unique and visually pleasing identity? Colors are a huge factor, first and foremost. They are going to dictate what you can and can’t do when it comes to arranging elements of your design. For the Lions specifically, what about a faded teal did you think would not only enhance, but was necessary for a Detroit Lions uniform? These are the questions that need asking when designing, and especially redesigning a team’s uniforms. Furthermore, make sure everything fits together. What I mean by that is the jersey bases (the blue uniform with teal accents, white uniform with teal accents, etc) need to make sense when the striping and numbers are added on. Personally, I don’t see and cohesion between any elements of any uniform. Take the home set for this exercise, and here’s how I processed it.

-The base is blue with teal accents, which is odd for a lions uniform, but okay that’s understandable

- the numbers are silver with a white outline, and while that has been done before in Lions history, so it makes sense, it doesn’t fit with the teal. Replacing the silver with teal and the white with silver would be interesting as long as the outline is thick enough.

-OH GOD THE STRIPES OH NO RED ALERT TOTAL MELTDOWN MODE. No teal here at all, the addition of black for some reason, the weird semi-northwestern stripe thing, it’s all just so ugly. It looks so outta place and doesn’t fit with the base or the numbers. Same for the pants, by the way.

I’m really sorry if this is harsh but I really think you care and want to get better. You’ve stuck with this series when it hasn’t been commented on all that much, and that takes a lot of guts and willingness to finish, something I barely have. And trust me, Ive been where you are. (side note, I was so embarrassed with my first posts in my first ever thread that I deleted them, so I sent you to the second thread). Always look to improve, no matter what. Concept to concept, try new things, be innovative (without just coloring in a box and calling it creative because you know how to use the MS paint fill bucket tool), so on and so forth. And most importantly, understand the tools you’re using. Get Inkscape! Download a vector football template! If you’d don’t have one, DM me! Learn the program, search tutorials, find new ways to do things or new tools, and you’ll be amazed by how easy things can become. Best of luck, and I’m excited to see what you end up doing.

Since I am going to take things slow in the future, I am going to load the last completed team that I have done... and despite them revealing their kits as of a month ago, I figured I try, try being the word here and try and make them better.

So here are...

THE NEW YORK JETS

HOME

Tq4RKSYm.png
Ruap5RYm.png

CyHASI4m.png

ROAD
odrC3rGm.png
euOuiOHm.png
Ilk1Qwbm.png

OTHER
CVBLHYxm.png
J3Fe11zm.png
BCGKaLCm.png

.... Yeah can't blame you if you react to the 'Big City' idea, there's 2 NY teams and one of them wanted to honor the 9/11 responders... just not with what I had in mind.

Please listen to what HTown said. He's pretty smart. He's also better at uniform than most anyone. If you saw his crazy, sarcastic, "h-town takes on the sacred cows of the NFL and the CC boards" thread, you'll see what I mean. But I'll repeat a little.

You've got to 1. Have a thorough thought process in what you do. It's not just "It looks cool." There's got to be solid reasoning.

2. Communicate the why. It's not enough just for you to know, you've got to explain it in a way that makes sense to others so they appreciate your work. Slow down, take the time to be excellent, and people will appreciate it also.

1 hour ago, dakotapalm said:

Please listen to what HTown said. He's pretty smart. He's also better at uniform than most anyone. If you saw his crazy, sarcastic, "h-town takes on the sacred cows of the NFL and the CC boards" thread, you'll see what I mean. But I'll repeat a little.

You've got to 1. Have a thorough thought process in what you do. It's not just "It looks cool." There's got to be solid reasoning.

2. Communicate the why. It's not enough just for you to know, you've got to explain it in a way that makes sense to others so they appreciate your work. Slow down, take the time to be excellent, and people will appreciate it also.

I know don't worry, that's why I said 'slowing down' in the thing.

Yeah a lot of these also need to have some better presentation. It needs to be cleaned up. The numbers and names are rough, and hard to read. Legibility is important.  

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

TIME TO FIX THINGS
So it begins... I have been reworking on the concepts already and I have two ready to be presented.

FIRST OF ALL...

Them Cowboys.

DALLAS
Z1t8LQIm.png
2jx9Qz5m.png
qyn9jyym.png
AKjv7spm.png
DDPFmx3m.png
MgtBQAbm.png
3rn0d6im.png
gwNBf4Bm.png
wEKiPb1m.png

FINAL
qyn9jyyl.png
AKjv7spl.png
gwNBf4Bl.png

And then we go to the Jets because I've made minor changes... includes numbering.

NEW YORK JETS
DFDiuyvm.png
5v3j3tGm.png
eTDKuhem.png
7vUOWNGm.png
Fo9PHmxm.png
DXiYPxdm.png
sgNqKHLm.png
qsKhnU2m.png
Zwgx5BQm.png

FINAL
5v3j3tGl.png
7vUOWNGl.png

sgNqKHLl.png

So that's the first two repairs... the other six are works in progress and when THAT'S done... then I go back to the first two concepts I made from the old thread.

NEXT BATCH OF REPAIRS!

We head to LA... to fix both teams, Rams And Chargers, there are minor edits visually.

LA RAMS
NVAdb79m.png
xwOJh0cm.png
4VeXOnim.png
mt1dT9um.png
IW1jPz3m.png
4gHa8j3m.png
aCRlW1nm.png
CRAkm3Am.png
jYHMN91m.png

NVAdb79l.png
IW1jPz3l.png
aCRlW1nl.png

Big change here is the addition of horns on the shoulders, I mean they are Rams so let's fit this into aesthetics... also sorted out the pants like the previous two teams.

LA CHARGERS
BAxTk2xm.png
l4jQh7am.png
vPD6i2Gm.png
7lf5LEom.png
rmQ5vMNm.png
0nzJ5T5m.png
AmRNSJqm.png
kDYWVUcm.png
vcKdKcIm.png

BAxTk2xl.png
rmQ5vMNl.png
kDYWVUcl.png

The Chargers own Powder Blue is the main inclusion since they're going for that look this upcoming season and yet Spanos will still not see any money made because he's an idiot who burnt the bridge of the only city that likes the Chargers... anyway the lightning decals are more extensively handdrawn using actual reference pictures and physical drawing practice to get the measurements right.

Luckily I didn't go with the fancy alternate idea i had for the Alt... something that popped up recently in the Madden community which I resisted not to do because it's beyond my own drawing level and it would take too long to conceive.

So with 4 down, the next ones are going to be the mid 90 expansions.

Alright, so I know you said you were going to "slow down," but I'm not sure you did. Most, if not all of the same problems that were present in the originals are almost identical in the "fixed" versions. I'm not sure you understand how exactly you need to slow down to improve your concepts.  

I think the first big thing you can do to help improve is to really study the elements of football uniforms and why they are the way they are. On almost all of your concepts you have portions of the uniform that shouldn't be colored in. For instance, you've colored in the helmet bumpers, facemask clips, and ear pads, none of which would generally be team colors. Many of your concepts also have the belt loop area colored different from the pants. Again, this just doesn't happen. These things can be pretty easily remedied by really taking the time to study what makes an nfl uniform an NFL uniform.

This leads into my second tip: Attention to detail is vital. The above falls into this category too, but this more refers to elements of a uniform that can be perfectly legitimate design choices, but create their own problems. The first part of this is consistency. A jersey doesn't need to be 100% consistent to be a good design (just ask the Giants), but there are elements between your different designs that are inconsistent for seemingly no reason. Some jerseys have contrasting nameplates while others don't, the Jets have grey pants with no other grey present anywhere in the design, the use of color on the numbers and names doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason. Attention to detail also includes polish. I realize you're trying the free draw in paint, but the designs are simply sloppy. As noted, the Rams horns and Chargers' bolts are wildly inconsistent (of particular note, the Rams horns on the new version are flipped, one going forward, one going backwards), the numbers have pixelation issues, and logos are stretched in some places. These sort of details absolutely take extra time, a lot in fact, but it'll make your designs look better, and will make you appear more credible as a designer.

Third, it's always important to ask yourself, "why am I doing what I'm doing?" This doesn't necessarily have to be some big flowery explanation; sometimes, "it looks good" is enough. Here are a few questions I asked while viewing your concepts that I didn't address above.

-- "Why are all the manufacturers different? The NFL has an exclusive Nike contract, so it doesn't make sense to include Under Armour and Adidas with no explanation."

-- "Why are the colors used the way they are?" There's major inconsistency here. The Ravens are the best example. None of the team's identity outside the eye in the logo feature red prominently, but does feature gold. Your concept eschews gold almost entirely. Also, utilize the dropper tool. The colors you use never match the logos, and it is very noticeable. Also, the chargers using green on grey doesn't appear to make much sense.

-- "Are my uniform elements click and fill." Click and fill, or paint bucket is a crutch used by many newer designers. It adds the illusion of design without the effort needed to get the design. I myself did that sort of thing early on. One way to avoid this is again, to study. Find designers you like, see how they create their designs. Don't steal their work, but examine their techniques and ideas that you can incorporate to your own work. Over time, you'll notice your own personal style begin to develop and evolve.

Fourth, just some stray thoughts and advice.

-- I like that there is creativity going on with some of the alternates. It's not necessarily bad to have an affront to tradition like the Cowboys one. It's just that when you do something like that, you better have a reason to give people. 

-- Don't get overly discouraged by negative responses. They really are helpful in the long run. Even if the advice you receive doesn't make it into that specific concept, take that advice and apply what you learned to the next ones. Others in the past have made the mistake of ignoring advice, and it only hurt them. Guys like HTown and I started from a similar place and you, so we've made a lot of the same mistake you made.

-- If possible, I'd personally suggest using another program if you can. I personally use inkscape, which is a free vector software (basically, it's a freeware version of adobe illustrator). It works very different from paint, but once you get the hang of it, it can create some absolutely gorgeous designs and can make your life so much easier. There are also plenty of tutorials on the boards and around the internet.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

7 hours ago, Lafarge said:

-- "Why are all the manufacturers different? The NFL has an exclusive Nike contract, so it doesn't make sense to include Under Armour and Adidas with no explanation."

-- "Why are the colors used the way they are?" There's major inconsistency here. The Ravens are the best example. None of the team's identity outside the eye in the logo feature red prominently, but does feature gold. Your concept eschews gold almost entirely. Also, utilize the dropper tool. The colors you use never match the logos, and it is very noticeable. Also, the chargers using green on grey doesn't appear to make much sense.

-- "Are my uniform elements click and fill." Click and fill, or paint bucket is a crutch used by many newer designers. It adds the illusion of design without the effort needed to get the design. I myself did that sort of thing early on. One way to avoid this is again, to study. Find designers you like, see how they create their designs. Don't steal their work, but examine their techniques and ideas that you can incorporate to your own work. Over time, you'll notice your own personal style begin to develop and evolve.

I like to answer a few of those questions if i can as to fill the backgrounds of why things are different... it's also in the last thread that was nuked.

1, The NFL had a strike season of 2021 because the NFLPA and the league couldn't come up with an agreement thus the Super Bowl wasn't played... everyone lost money and the scapegoat was Goddell, he was immediately fired after the confirmation of a strikeout season.

2, Adidas and Under Armor challenged the exclusivitiy deal of NFL's deal with Nike and it went to the highest court in the land which ruled that it was an unfair competitive advantage and forced Nike to drop teams in order to not being fined in the billions... they kept some teams in return like the Rams and the Cowboys.

3, Big City is what it's called and it's essentially done by the designers, kind of like what the NBA does.... and there are some bad, BAD ones.

2 hours ago, heavybassX said:

I like to answer a few of those questions if i can as to fill the backgrounds of why things are different... it's also in the last thread that was nuked.

1, The NFL had a strike season of 2021 because the NFLPA and the league couldn't come up with an agreement thus the Super Bowl wasn't played... everyone lost money and the scapegoat was Goddell, he was immediately fired after the confirmation of a strikeout season.

2, Adidas and Under Armor challenged the exclusivitiy deal of NFL's deal with Nike and it went to the highest court in the land which ruled that it was an unfair competitive advantage and forced Nike to drop teams in order to not being fined in the billions... they kept some teams in return like the Rams and the Cowboys.

3, Big City is what it's called and it's essentially done by the designers, kind of like what the NBA does.... and there are some bad, BAD ones.

You can't pass off terrible execution as something that "designers" would do. YOU are the designer here...

Don't make excuses for why your work is sloppy. Just clean it up, man. I mean a majority of what other people have been saying, you've ignored. The names on the back of the Jets green jersey, no one would be able to read, as green on green is impossible to read, no matter where you're sitting. And the Chargers dark blue jersey has a similar issue. Baby blue on dark blue is going to be really hard to read from the upper deck. These are the types of things that need to be worked on. You also need to literally slow down, and find a way to make the little things like logos, numbers, and names be readable. Currently the image quality on everything is awful. Everything is low quality and fuzzy. Try using a different program, one that will keep the image quality up when you save everything. You also have a few other issues, like the stars on Dallas's shoulders. They're definitely off center on the template. We don't need to see the whole star, just what it would look like on the sleeve, if it was centered.

Don't be discouraged by all of this. You should take a look at other people's work, people who know what they're doing, and then imitate them. You shouldn't be as focused about getting the whole league done, as you should be about doing one team really well. Then you can move on. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived