TheFallenHaveRisen

New York Jets unveil new uniforms

I like these you guys are just mean

actually bad

Nike and the NFL has not been a good partnership. I just don't think they gel.

The old uniforms were one of my favorites... in theory. But as Sodboy pointed out, they just continued to get more distorted over the years. So a new look is welcome. Maybe it's because I expected the worst, but I think these are okay.

The Good:

- The new shade of green is great. Not too bright or too dark, and it's nicely saturated.

- The number font is a nice take on traditional block.

- I like the shoulder/sleeve stripes. They're modern without being ridiculous.

- The candy green helmet color is really nice.

The Meh:

- The chest wordmark is unnecessary, but inoffensive.

- Ditto for the black number outline and facemask

The Bad:

- The black uniforms are unnecessary, and will be worn way too often.

The Confounding:

- The pants stripe isn't awful, but it would make so much more sense, and look better if it came up from the knee. The shoulder/sleeve stripes, as well as other branding, establish that the pointed end of the speed triangle is the front. That means the pants stripe is flying into the ground. Plus the uniform would flow better if all the points faced inwards towards the same focal point.

- The logo is completely incongruous to the rest of the set. An update of the 78-97 logo would have worked perfectly with the speed triangle motif.

They seem fine by me. 

7 hours ago, jeezuschristiii said:

Going through Jamal's post. Seems the black jerseys are the most popular. 

Only if you mistake social media posts for an actual representative slice of reality.  

I actually kinda like the new black uniform, but it’s a shame elements from that set can’t be used with the other uniforms except maybe the socks.

7 hours ago, Chawls said:

Still better than the Bucs, Browns, Titans, and Jags unis. 

My list of "still better than" would be Bucs, Browns, Titans, Falcons, Cardinals, Seahawks, Bengals, and Chargers.

New helmet color is dope. Everything else is kind of generic.

The black unis will become their normal set by the end of the season.  By 2020 they’ll be the new Saints. 

Posted (edited)

It sucks that they could not match the green from the helmet to the jersey.

Edited by sve

4 hours ago, ONUV said:

actually bad

Nike and the NFL has not been a good partnership. I just don't think they gel.

With most designs I think they just try to hard. But honestly, uniform design has been getting progressively worse across all sports. We've seen sleeves in the NBA, millions of chrome football helmets, NHL's Reebok Edge era, etc. Instead of trying to make the best design possible, teams want to make a splash. Having said that, I like the Jets redesign. I've never been a fan of the old look and am glad that it is gone. The logo was cluttered and dated. The sleeve design didn't translate to the modern uniform cut. Did they need a black jersey? Probably not. But who cares? They'll be able to wear it 3 times max. 

12 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The black unis will become their normal set by the end of the season.  By 2020 they’ll be the new Saints

No, those are Welsh.

3 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Instead of trying to make the best design possible, teams want to make a splash.

I think this is the inevitable result of merchandising culture.  Once "will it sell?" becomes the primary concern, good designs become harder and harder to create.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Only if you mistake social media posts for an actual representative slice of reality.  

As opposed to this site? 

I feel like they had the uniforms locked in first...then crafted a logo refresh last. The two (logo and uniforms), to me at least, don't "go together" in style. There's no dynamic element to the helmet logo in the same way that the uniforms have that dynamic "spike" thing everywhere.

27 minutes ago, jeezuschristiii said:

As opposed to this site? 

Oh, no.  I never said this site represents any significant percentage of people anywhere but on this site.

55 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The black unis will become their normal set by the end of the season.  By 2020 they’ll be the new Saints. 

NFL uniform rules don’t really allow an alternate to take over