New York Jets unveil new uniforms

6 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Slight difference in effort between whipping together a concept and photoshopping real-life Jets players into poses they've never been photographed in, then making sure the lighting on all your fake helmets matches perfectly. 

Exactly. They could've found players on other teams or from other concepts in the poses, but the player faces and physiques appear spot-on, which pretty much ensures this was an actual photo taken, regardless of how finalized the uniforms were at the time. As a graphic designer, I can confirm that this is a borderline impossible amount of Photoshop work to make this look so convincing.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Pissing on the little history the franchise has by ditching classic AFL uniform for 2nd time. 

I understand what you're saying, but as a diehard Jet fan I've always felt the Jets have been boxed into an overall New York traditional standard that doesn't fit them.  They're not the Giants or the Yankees, or even the Knicks.  They're supposed to have younger, rowdier fans, so it's okay to push for SOME degree of change.  They've had these new/old uniforms for 21 years now.

19 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Pissing on the little history the franchise has by ditching classic AFL uniform for 2nd time. 

Every 👏 NFL 👏 team 👏 should 👏 only 👏 wear 👏 the 👏 first 👏 uniform 👏 they 👏 ever 👏 wore 👏 no 👏 matter 👏 how 👏 long 👏 ago 👏 that 👏 was 👏 or 👏 whether 👏 it 👏 looked 👏 good 👏 because 👏 history 👏 is 👏 static 👏 and 👏 can 👏 never 👏 change 👏 or 👏 be 👏 updated 👏 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

2 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Every 👏 NFL 👏 team 👏 should 👏 only 👏 wear 👏 the 👏 first 👏 uniform 👏 they 👏 ever 👏 wore 

Well, guess it's back to navy and gold for the Jets 

11 minutes ago, JD1500 said:

I understand what you're saying, but as a diehard Jet fan I've always felt the Jets have been boxed into an overall New York traditional standard that doesn't fit them.  They're not the Giants or the Yankees, or even the Knicks.  They're supposed to have younger, rowdier fans, so it's okay to push for SOME degree of change.  They've had these new/old uniforms for 21 years now.

Don’t agree at all. Modern uniforms are trash. Let’s XFL look like high schools teams. 

Just now, schlim said:

Well, guess it's back to navy and gold for the Jets 

Haha.  The Jets were the only team in the league without a third color, so while they appear to have added black I thought a lightening of the green coupled with adding the navy blue of the original Titans as a secondary color could've worked. 

Oh, and I demand white cleats with the green or white jerseys.  Makes them look faster.  By "demand" I mean ask deferentially... 

Overall it looks more or less ok. The pointed stripes have appeared in one form or another in a ton of Jets redesign concepts on these boards. I feel better about the elements on the shoulders that I do on the pants but I'll see how the angles look in a better photo. The decision to use a vertically arched wordmark on the helmet is an interesting choice, much more old school than I'd expected. 

This is likely better than what the Jags did last year (I'd probably prefer no black at all for the Jets) but not quite as good as when the Vikings were redone. It feels about the same as the Lions. A modern-ish design that echoes a lot from a classic. 

4 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Don’t agree at all. Modern uniforms are trash. Let’s XFL look like high schools teams. 

Fair enough.  I typically prefer status quo, but I was ready for something new from the Jets.  A Super Bowl would also be something new, but since that's not in play here I'd settle for a new look. 

Elongated triangular stripes are such a common and generic design element, especially on the concept boards, that my first reaction was underwhelmed. 

It seems like if the helmet is the wordmark and ball that it's going to look pretty bland, but the helmets will shine. I am a sucker for big chest wordmarks, and like the motion feel of the font. These are super 2000sy, but I'll accept them just fine 

Archived