New York Jets unveil new uniforms

So hoping these aren't real . . . again, lack of any kind of imagination and too much like a CFL or kids league uniform.  A few things:

1. Notice the Under Armour cleats on the player in black (second to the right) . . . that wouldn't make sense for a Nike release

2. J Adams had denied these are real . . . but also say, maybe they are, maybe they aren't . . . you'll have to watch.

3. These don't scream "Bad Axx" or merit the reaction in some of the teaser videos

Let's hope they are better.  A re-do of the 80s would be much better . . . in my opinion

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, jayzcat said:

So hoping these aren't real . . . again, lack of any kind of imagination and too much like a CFL or kids league uniform.  A few things:

1. Notice the Under Armour cleats on the player in black (second to the right) . . . that wouldn't make sense for a Nike release

2. J Adams had denied these are real . . . but also say, maybe they are, maybe they aren't . . . you'll have to watch.

3. These don't scream "Bad Axx" or merit the reaction in some of the teaser videos

Let's hope they are better.  A re-do of the 80s would be much better . . . in my opinion

Quincy Enunwa said in Twitter today that while he wouldn't confirm or deny anything he did say Nike let him wear his UA stuff at the photo shoot. Also, if you look at the jaguars or titans last year they had players wearing UA and Adidas gloves and cleats in their promo material so that's normal

3 hours ago, nuordr said:

The Cowboys, Giants, Lions, Raiders, and Titans use gray properly because they use gray/silver in the color scheme. The 49ers, Bills, Cardinals, and Colts however do not use gray properly, thus it needs to be a team color to make the case to wear it. Otherwise it comes across as a peewee mask and the teams look cheap wearing them. 

Or they’re trying to build a heritage brand. You might not like it, but it actually *is* properly used by teams striving to build that type of brand. It’s not the only choice that works, of course, but moving away from a grey mask starts to position your brand as more of a hybrid, which is fine, but certainly not the same as a heritage brand. The Cardinals are not doing it right, and the Bills’ use is debatable due the unnecessary dark blue trim on everything, but the others are spot on.

Also, peewee masks are team color. Colored masks are the new cheap.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

So, by that logic, the 1998-2018 Jets should have worn grey facemasks, but this group shouldn't (assuming the uniform leaked is fairly accurate) until they become a football team again. The Jets haven't really played football since the first half of the 2011 season...

Those are simply rules for when teams *can* use grey masks. Not necessarily when teams *should* use grey masks. 😜

1 hour ago, PosterNutbag said:

I was just about to post this. I'm very curious as well. My guess is, if these are like the other Nike designs (e.g., Browns, Bucs), they will terminate at the name plate instead of wrap around. I hope there is some symmetry. 

Clearly, the stripe must wrap around the top of the shoulders to form a contrast name bar.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

That's a really terrific shade of green that we so seldom see in American sports; not really since the 90s Jets and the Mavs and T-Wolves briefly in the NBA.

The Dallas Stars say hi :P

7 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Pissing on the little history the franchise has by ditching classic AFL uniform for 2nd time. 

Exactly. Super Bowl III is one of the most famous football games of all time. You don’t ditch the Super Bowl III look. 

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Exactly. Super Bowl III is one of the most famous football games of all time. You don’t ditch the Super Bowl III look. 

But what have they done since then? That’s the key question. In the nearly five decades since then, the teams hasn’t gone back to the Super Bowl and has gone through extended periods of intense mediocrity. They also changed up their look from the late-‘70s - mid-‘90s, so it’s not like the Colts or Chiefs hanging onto their classic looks. It may be a historically-important look, but not every historically-important look needs to stick around, especially since the Jets hurt said aesthetic’s brand equity with their typical quality of play.

I’ll withhold judgement until the official unveiling, but if the leak is correct, I like it well enough. It’s a decent modernization of the ‘80s design that doesn’t feel too crazy.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

But what have they done since then?

I mean they never accomplished anything in the 80s unis either...at least the SBIII look is associated with SBIII.

I just think there’s value in looking your best. 

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I mean they never accomplished anything in the 80s unis either...at least the SBIII look is associated when SBIII.

So the thing about the Jets, more than any other team in American pro sports except for the Padres, is that the relationship between success on the field and success in branding don't have a strong connection. I've seen more people (rather suprisingly) stump for the 78-97 logo than I have for the current logo (or old logo? or old old logo? You know the one). That success the team had in the 60's didn't translate into the substantial amount of goodwill that one would expect, and that's why so many people seem to have this fondness for often below .500 record team branding. Therefore, when in the situation to completely redesign their logo/uniforms and create something beautiful and iconic for new generations (even if they didn't find success on the field, as history shows), they failed miserably by failing to even scratch that surface of potential.

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I mean they never accomplished anything in the 80s unis either...at least the SBIII look is associated when SBIII.

As someone who was born 19 years after 69 team I don't identify with this at all. I would say at this point only 1/3 of the fanbase was alive for this era so while symbolically it may be meaningful to you, it has no meaning to me other than a clean/unassuming/boring jersey my dad can relate to lol it's always looked like a rip off of the Colts Jersey more than anything IMO and I'm glad to be moving away from it. 

If this is it, I am totally fine with it.  I want kelly green and like kelly green helmets.

Have real concern this is not legit.  The draft hats featured a darker green.  Also, It would be strange for the Jets new helmets to just have the word Jets with a football underneath it as the helmet logo.

Archived