TheFallenHaveRisen

New York Jets unveil new uniforms

12 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Not sure if this has been said or not, but the biggest problem I see is that the helmet logo is not outlined in black, to tie it in with the facemask, like the 1990s were.  The lack of it cheapens the look IMO.

Riddell New York Jets 1990-1997 Authentic Throwback Helmet

I think it works actually. They've set it up so that lettering and striping is plain white/green and only the numbers have an outline. Which is ok in terms of consistency. There's an internal logic and I think it's the only way to have a black outline on the numbers and still make the rest of the design work. I think the black outline on 90's helmet is something of a downgrade from the 80's look.

If I were to try and reconstruct this process, I think they wanted to do a NY Sack Exchange design with a modern twist. However, they also wanted a black uniform too but couldn't make black a prominent color without overloading the vectors and helmet script. So they just left it in the only places where it would be comparatively unobtrusive: the numbers and the facemask. 

Did they succeed in making a good design overall? Meh, depends on perspective. I think they mostly did fine but I understand anyone who thinks they should've just gone with a kelly version of the previous design, or just revived the Sack Exchange design wholesale. 

12 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Jaguars have a custom font that's plays towards regular block font. 

That’s right. I forgot about that one. I do like the Jaguars font too

37 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Awful. Just awful from head to toe. You are the Jets, right? A jet in the logo (like their 80's logo) is appropriate. The Memphis Express got the logo right. The Jets did not.

Having New York on the jersey is stupid.. There are 2 "New York" teams. Either use Jets, or put something on the sleeve if you want to pay homage to New York City, which you are not. You are a Jersey team.

Easy Rutherford is part of the NYC Metropolitan market. Same as Camden, NJ being part of the Philadelphia Metropolitan market.

Also this is comedy gold.

38 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Awful. Just awful from head to toe. You are the Jets, right? A jet in the logo (like their 80's logo) is appropriate. The Memphis Express got the logo right. The Jets did not.

Having New York on the jersey is stupid.. There are 2 "New York" teams. Either use Jets, or put something on the sleeve if you want to pay homage to New York City, which you are not. You are a Jersey team.

Wow, this "New York" thing needs to end.  The "New York" in Jets, Giants, Knicks, Yankees, Mets and Rangers always has and always will refer to "New York City", NOT New York State.  The fact that the Jets and Giants happen to play across state lines in New Jersey is no different than Buffalo playing in Orchard Park or Dallas playing in Irving, and now, Arlington.  They play in a near suburb of the city they represent, and the city they were born in.  The fact that New York City counts as its suburbs parts of two other states is irrelevant. 

I'm a Nassau County guy, and New York City is my city the same way it is for someone from the Hudson Valley or North New Jersey, or southern Connecticut. 

43 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Jaguars have a custom font that's plays towards regular block font. 

Yes, and this one is all but identical in proportion and structure, just with a few serifs clipped off, a horizontal 2, and a closed 4. I hope this isn’t a trend, where “new” typefaces are minimally modified versions of other new typefaces.

Everyone keeps saying there not Jet uniforms/colors...I think they clearly tried to modernize the 90's era Jets uniforms. As well as trying to keep the current logo, which is why we don't get the concorde on the helmet.

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, VC15AP18 said:

Everyone keeps saying there not Jet uniforms/colors...I think they clearly tried to modernize the 90's era Jets uniforms. As well as trying to keep the current logo, which is why we don't get the concorde on the helmet.

spacer.png

The concord logo actually looks more like it belongs with the new set. That should've been a no brainer. Rounded, unstreamlined old JETS sticks out like a sore thumb on these. 

Serious question, and maybe I missed the answer already.. but I've seen multiple times that the Jets are obligated to have the word "JETS" on their helmets.. is this true? And what is the source? That seems odd, and who would they be contractually beholden to?

9 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Serious question, and maybe I missed the answer already.. but I've seen multiple times that the Jets are obligated to have the word "JETS" on their helmets.. is this true? And what is the source? That seems odd, and who would they be contractually beholden to?

No, it's a joke.

21 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

The concord logo actually looks more like it belongs with the new set. That should've been a no brainer. Rounded, unstreamlined old JETS sticks out like a sore thumb on these. 

I agree but i think they wanted to keep aspects of both ERA's , they made the wrong decision but they tried to recreate the JETS concorde on the helmet with the JETS football.

43 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

My bad...I think I was the one who stated this so sorry to have mislead you.  Every helmet design they've had since taking the "Jets" cognomen has had the name displayed in some form, so this new set continues that quotidian custom. 

Also, great usage of "beholden".  It's the only reason I tried to insert "quotidian". 

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Yeah, that's my only real gripe here. The old script would have worked better  on that (gorgeous) helmet. I guess their reasoning was probably along the lines (pun intended) of the striping being the jet representation. I guess the resemblance of the shoulder stripes to airplane wings, and the vaguely jetlike nature of the pants stripes, are why I don't mind said striping as much as some seem to. My only real issue with the stripes is that I wish the shoulder ones wrapped around for a contrast-colored nameplate, as I've already mentioned. Still, it would've been nice to use the old script or at least a modernized version of it, and the helmet seems like it would've been the most obvious place to put that. 

4 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Exactly. These are fine, but it’s not a unique look. 

The jersey stripes are similar to the Chargers and Browns. The big chest wordmark is a Browns thing. The pants stripes are similar to what teams wore 15 years ago, and there is a resemblance to the pants from an older Saskatchewan uniform. 

The Jets completely owned their previous look. This green, with fixed shoulder stripes and striped green socks for last year’s template would’ve been perfect. And 100 percent the Jets’ look to own. Oh well. 

And yet, the previous set wasn't unique by your standards in that it replicated the Colts look as closely as the comparisons you are making for the new Jets' uniform (similar being the key word).

6 hours ago, daveindc said:

Wrong. The new Jets uni is clearly a blatant rip-off of the Farmdale High School football team of Long Island, NY. 

5 hours ago, guest23 said:

^THIS

New York Farmdale Jets

Y'all forgot some letters there it's Farmingdale, not Farmdale.

2 hours ago, JD1500 said:

I'm a Nassau County guy, and New York City is my city the same way it is for someone from the Hudson Valley or North New Jersey, or southern Connecticut. 

I give you a like for being from Nassau but I reserve the right to rescind it if you're from the North Shore 🤣 .

10 minutes ago, tp49 said:

Y'all forgot some letters there it's Farmingdale, not Farmdale.

I give you a like for being from Nassau but I reserve the right to rescind it if you're from the North Shore 🤣 .

Yes, you'll wanna go ahead and rescind it. 

These aren't great but I still think they're an upgrade over their old uniforms. Those drab dark green and white uniforms were just depressing to look at.

You know, the more I see of that old 90s Jets logo, the more I kinda hate it. I seriously didn’t even realize the weird slash above the word Jets was supposed to be a plane until recently. That made it a cooler logo to me, but it’s still pretty clunky. Plus, the Concorde was discontinued because it was expensive as hell to run and unnecessarily dangerous. Imagine all the Jets jokes we’d get if they had a logo that was a plane known for bursting into flames mid flight. It was a good move leaving that in the past. 

Someone show me what the uniforms would look like with the 90's sleeves and pants stripes with the NEW YORK removed from the chest and 90's socks to match. This would fix almost all the problems...okay, also outline the JETS in black on the helmet and get rid of that football.