New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I'm like 90-95% in agreement with this. I don't have any issue with the black facemask (though you're right that white would've popped more), or the black alt (though you're right that it isn't altogether necessary, and I think it's the weakest-looking of the three jerseys even if you don't look at it as BFBS). I would have loved to see the return of the Concorde, but the wings on the shoulder look cool. Wish they wrapped around for a contrast-color nameplate, though.

I have no strong opinion on the chest text. I actually like that the city name is spelled out somewhere in the uniform. I think having the triangle under the team name on the helmet would catch the  eye more than just having the shape of a football does, but the helmet itself is awesome, and the logo is decent.

Interestingly, I agree with you on the lighter shade of green being better for the pants. I think it was when they started wearing those dark green pants that I began to realize I missed their Kelly green look.

The more I look at it the more I like the logo on the helmet.  The football is redundant and since "Jets" must be on their helmet no questions asked, that triangle below it would've been nice.  I do like the size of that logo and the equality in font size of each letter, which they didn't have in the past.  It kind of blasts the viewer, and I think it'll do that on tv.  For me the test will be how I feel about it the first time they stop New England on a 3rd-and-9, accept a penalty to push them out of field goal range, and then give up a touchdown on the next snap.  If I still like the logo after that, it's a keeper.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I think this is the inevitable result of merchandising culture.  Once "will it sell?" becomes the primary concern, good designs become harder and harder to create.

Very true. What baffles me most is the prevailing opinion that good design doesn’t sell. Marketers and designers like to think that it’s the story and the look that sell, but team success has a much greater impact on sales figures than anyone wants to admit (because admitting it devalues marketing and design).

Also, how about that contrast stitching all over the jersey wedge, guys?! 😜

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't think there's anything I hate more on football uniforms than "shards".  The Broncos redesign of the 90's spawned a puke-worthy decade or more of knock-off designs.  It was atrocious then, it's atrocious now, and I simply can't believe these actually happened.  

If they had simply done a full contrast panel down the leg, or kept the 3-stripe look, and just copied that look to the sleeve cap, these would be an A+ uniform.  Instead, someone had to be cute, and we got this trainwreck to look at for at least 5 years.

It's unfathomable to me that the NFL, partnered with Nike, allows the Falcons & Cardinals to keep their current designs, and that they allowed this Jets uniform happen.  This, coming from a diehard Nike loyalist.  The previous set was 100x better.  This is the Browns redesign all over again.

55 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Wrong. The new Jets uni is clearly a blatant rip-off of the Farmdale High School football team of Long Island, NY. 

tumblr_ppho2uZSHe1u7t2opo1_1280.pnj

tumblr_pphnm6XHfX1u7t2opo1_250.jpg

tumblr_pphiawT9kx1u7t2opo1_400.png

tumblr_pphnotlASZ1u7t2opo1_400.jpg

tumblr_pphooxq9Fy1u7t2opo1_1280.pnj

tumblr_pphp10eeAn1u7t2opo1_1280.pnj

Shame on the Jets for stealing these kids' uniforms. Sad.

^THIS

New York Farmdale Jets

aftter I've let these cool off, I like them. Nothing fancy about the design, but they're a nice modern version of the look from the 80s/90s. Just because they duplicate with other teams doesn't mean it doesn't look like the Jets. I never understood the fondness of the green helmet era of yesteryear, but a lot of people preferred it over the classic look. In a way, they gave Jets fans what they've asked for. 

11 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Very true. What baffles me most is the prevailing opinion that good design doesn’t sell. Marketers and designers like to think that it’s the story and the look that sell, but team success has a much greater impact on sales figures than anyone wants to admit (because admitting it devalues marketing and design).

Also, how about that contrast stitching all over the jersey wedge, guys?! 😜

The difference being that the “contrast stitching” is a result of 2 or more different color panels coming to each other. It’s not an intentional design element. Now the browns contrast stitching is an intentional design element because it exists on every seam of the jersey.

The disappointing part is that the Jets used to have a classic look. This, in my opinion, is a downgrade from classic to Madden build-a-team generic uniforms. They're not really ugly, they just don't strike me as any of the things that can be enjoyed in a football uniform. They're not classic. They're not unique. They're not trendsetting. They're just generic.

I do think the logo change is a positive development, though.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

1 hour ago, Maroon said:

The disappointing part is that the Jets used to have a classic look. This, in my opinion, is a downgrade from classic to Madden build-a-team generic uniforms. They're not really ugly, they just don't strike me as any of the things that can be enjoyed in a football uniform. They're not classic. They're not unique. They're not trendsetting. They're just generic.

I do think the logo change is a positive development, though.

Exactly. These are fine, but it’s not a unique look. 

The jersey stripes are similar to the Chargers and Browns. The big chest wordmark is a Browns thing. The pants stripes are similar to what teams wore 15 years ago, and there is a resemblance to the pants from an older Saskatchewan uniform. 

The Jets completely owned their previous look. This green, with fixed shoulder stripes and striped green socks for last year’s template would’ve been perfect. And 100 percent the Jets’ look to own. Oh well. 

I like them.

I like the green helmet.

I like the all white. 

Just wish the helmet logo was the older Concorde logo. And maybe a white facemask (50/50)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I really like them. The logo is still underwhelming, in my opinion, I’d like to see more of the 80s-90s logo included, but the uniforms as a whole are still pretty good. Obviously it would be best for the black pants to never see the green and white jerseys, and from what they’ve shown so far, it looks like the Jets agree. I really don’t understand why some people are so concerned about them somehow being worn 4+ times this year. The NFL still has rules regulating alts to 3 games. 

Also: did I miss the meeting that everyone decided to call any pointed stripe a “shard”? I literally never heard that used to describe any uniform elements until the Jets leak and all of a sudden it seems like every uniform that has a point is being referred to as a shard. Where did that all of a sudden come from?

3 minutes ago, jn8 said:

I really like them. The logo is still underwhelming, in my opinion, I’d like to see more of the 80s-90s logo included, but the uniforms as a whole are still pretty good. Obviously it would be best for the black pants to never see the green and white jerseys, and from what they’ve shown so far, it looks like the Jets agree. I really don’t understand why some people are so concerned about them somehow being worn 4+ times this year. The NFL still has rules regulating alts to 3 games. 

Also: did I miss the meeting that everyone decided to call any pointed stripe a “shard”? I literally never heard that used to describe any uniform elements until the Jets leak and all of a sudden it seems like every uniform that has a point is being referred to as a shard. Where did that all of a sudden come from?

The Jets instagram also states for the black jerseys: "MAX 3x a year"

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The Rams had to get special permission about a throwback...and Denver had to put in a request two years in advance to change from the blues to the orange primary. 

Correct. What I meant though is that certain provisions within those rules allowed those two teams to do that. So theoretically speaking, if the Jets did want to petition the Shield to designate their black alternates as as prim--actually let's just not even speak that into the atmosphere. 😁

Side note: I'm just glad we finally got another (in this case, close to) Kelly green team in pro sports again. The color isn't hard to work with as long as you know what you're doing. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Honestly these uniforms are essentially the NY Sack Exchange uniforms with the striping extended into a point and black outlining on the numbers. Maybe you improve things by dropping the black entirely? Really though, these are fine. I consider it a lateral move. They didn't improve upon their look but they didn't completely screw it up either. 

After having the time to process the set after the reveal, I've gotta say. This set isn't bad.

I absolutely love this shade of green for the Jets. It's not over-saturated and gives just enough pop to contrast well off of black and white. I like the helmet and the finish, but I wish they had different plans for the logo, only so that it fit with the rest of the look. At this point, I'm indifferent on the black facemask, as we've seen it in their history before.

The jerseys are clean. Simple, but not void of any character at all (death stares at Jacksonville), they probably should've gone in a different route with the striping. We've seen plenty of concepts on these very forums that have produced better results. I don't mind the wordmark, but I wish it were smaller. Can't not mention the disconnect amongst the fonts (logo, wordmark, and numerals all differ). A numeral font more suited to the look would've been best, maybe something slightly italic.

The pants are meh at best, but they at least match the jerseys. Could've brought the tapered stripes all the way down to the end where it meets the knee. Socks should've come with stripes like their previous set.

The black uniform elements look nice, due to the green being able to stand out, but I absolutely don't like it for the Jets. It's only best used as a tertiary color.

Overall, I'd say this look is decent. We can be relieved that we avoided worse possibilities, but it's a downgrade from the previous. But, imagine that "Gotham Green" (smh at the name) replacing the previous shade on the last set....

Archived