New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

Only people who don't live in NY/nj care about the jets & giants location name

I'm in Texas and I sure don't. Do people in East St. Louis complain about that team that plays in Missouri? Probably not. It's just people's particular opinion and it doesn't affect me so I don't worry about it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I’m a little late to respond, but I’m actually very pleasantly surprised with how this set turned out. I would’ve thought I’d wanted them to go with a lighter kelly green and no black, but the shade they went with works pretty well with the black somehow, especially for the helmet. Although the black jersey isn’t really necessary, I don’t think it’s a bad look, I think it could look nice with green or white pants. This set strikes me as very much inspired by the Vikings, with the modern striping and minimal uses of black doing wonders for the set. Overall I think it’s a nice upgrade to a uniform that was starting to get dated due to its incompatibilities with modern templates. I’d put it just below the Vikings, Dolphins, and Lions as far as the Nike redesigns have gone.

17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Speaking as an arrogant New Yorker, I can say that that position is not only silly, but it is also entirely backwards.

The fact that a team that is located in New Jersey identifies with New York City is an acknowledgement of the primacy of our great City. Such a policy on the part of a team says that the only thing important about that location is that it is part of the New York City area. (Not "market", please, as there is so much more to New York's greatness than commerce.) New York is the capital of the world, the centre of the universe. Its influence does not stop at its borders.

And this truth was affirmed by the MetroStars when they (having several years earlier shorn themselves of the risible and unwieldy geographical identifier "New York / New Jersey") changed their name to the New York Red Bulls. When they did this, they were about to open a new stadium in Harrison, immediately adjacent to Newark, which is New Jersey's largest city and a fine metropolis in its own right. But the only thing that the team's new owners were interested in was the fact that the team is in the New York City area, connected to the City proper by the (highly underrated) interstate subway system known as the PATH train.

(I should note that I support NYCFC, and strongly dislike the Red Bulls. I absolutely hate the team's corporate nickname. But I have all the respect in the world for the decision on the part of the team's ownership to adopt the correct geographical identifier of New York.)

I would also like to say that I have no patience for the comment "Jersey is Jersey". The great small cities of Hudson County are not at all what we arrogant New Yorkers have in mind when we sneer at Jersey.

I have ridden my bike all over New Jersey, more than once out to my relatives' house in Morris County. Now that is what we mean when we dismiss Jersey and say that Jersey sucks.

But please do not conflate those awful suburban hellscapes with vibrant urban centres such as Jersey City, Hoboken, and Union City. These are places that feel like home to a New Yorker, much moreso than does the eastern Queens nowheresville where I grew up (but fortunately escaped), to say nothing of that benighted wasteland Staten Island.

Finally, I can only wonder whether someone with the Cosmos' name as his screenname grasps the irony of denouncing the Jets for playing in the Meadowlands, as the Cosmos are an historic phenomenon solely on the basis of their play in the Meadowlands. When Mick Jagger and other celebrities were attending Cosmos matches, they weren't so much going to New Jersey as much as they were taking part in New York City's culture.

get a grip, dude

This whole NY vs. NJ thing cracks me up. FWIW, I've spent plenty of time in both places. If I lived in either one, most of my day would be spent planning my move elsewhere...anywhere, really. Don't get me wrong, I love NYC...for about 2 days. After that, I've had more than my fill of the place. Great city. Hell, it might even be the "center of the universe" or whatever Ferdinand called it, but you couldn't pay me to live there. Sorry, Jersey, I'm still looking for something to like about you. I guess I can say that Trenton sort of reminded me of my hometown of Toledo* And I say that as a compliment. I'm with @oldschoolvikings, of the things I care about, the Jets and Giants calling themselves New York while playing in New Jersey isn't any of them. 

*the actual "America's greatest city" and Ohio's best kept secret.

On to the new Jets uniforms. They're just this side of OK. It could have been a lot worse. I expected it to be a lot worse. I like the helmet well enough. Other than the BFBS, the colors are OK, and the new number font is decent. Where the whole set loses me is the New York wordmark and the silly "paper airplane" stripes. Those two elements take the set from the NFL level to the Omaha Beef's league. This uniform could have been a very nicely done "classic" design, but as usual, Nike went about three steps too far.  2 out of 5. Big downgrade. 

BB52Big.jpg

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No person who lives on the other side of the Hudson would respond with “New York” when asked where they live.

I personally know several people who moved to Union City simply because they found good rent there. These people have never stopped thinking of themselves as New Yorkers, even decades later.

I also know people who first came to the area as students from elsewhere in the county, and found places to live in Jersey City. Yet their entire identities revolve around being New Yorkers, with employment and with social ties based in the City proper. This lifestyle is facilitated by the excellent transit connections between Jersey City and New York City, as provided by the PATH train (why anyone would take a swipe at this wonderful little subway system that seamlessly harmonises with the main New York City system is a profound mystery) and the ferries.

The luxury version of this practice can be found in Weehawken, the entire allure of which is the view of the New York City skyline. It thus attracts wealthy New Yorkers for the same reason as do the luxury towers in Queens's Long Island City.

These people living in affordable Union City, comfortable Jersey City, and tony Weehawken would probably not say to any local questioners that they live in New York, mainly because the understood context of the "Where do you live?" question from other locals is "Where in the New York area do you live?" So the response "New York" is unhelpful because it applies equally to us all (whether we live inside or outside the City limits).

And it is certainly true that all of these cities have plenty of  natives who define themselves against New York City. But the many residents of those New Jersey border towns who landed there just because that's where they found housing  and who identify as New Yorkers, these people would indeed respond with "New York" if asked where they live by people from outside the area. I promise you that, from the point of view of the parents of someone who arrived in Jersey City for college or grad school and is now a professional working in New York City, their kid lives in New York, technicalities be damned.

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I guess I can say that Trenton sort of reminded me of my hometown of Toledo*

Well, Trenton is not part of the New York City area. It is actually on the outskirts of the Philadelphia metropolitan area, sitting only about 30 miles away.

Having ridden my bike in Trenton several times during my rides to and from Philly, I can say that that city is somewhat challenged. I mean, I like gritty; I enjoy riding through Paterson and Yonkers. But Trenton can stretch grittiness to the breaking point.

Still, before I discovered that I could ride on NJ 27 through a corridor of towns between Newark and Trenton, I had been taking a route to Philadelphia that took me through areas ranging from suburban to rural; so I remember greeting Trenton with great relief, thinking how nice to be back in a city. And the presence of the New Jersey state house on State Street and not in some cleared-out plaza is most impressive; one cannot help but gasp at this building's beauty as it appears suddenly.

But I have to admit that a little Trenton goes a long way. The last time I rode back home from Philly, I found myself on particularly depressed Calhoun Street (the street of one of the two bridges connecting to Pennsylvania) stuck behind a garbage truck. At that stressful moment I remember thinking to myself: Q: What's worse than being in Trenton? A: Being behind a garbage truck in Trenton. So I found the energy to sprint until I had left that city.

*the actual "America's greatest city" and Ohio's best kept secret.

I'll bet that you enjoy the characterisation of Toledo on the excellent NBC sitcom A.P. Bio.

On to the new Jets uniforms. They're just this side of OK. It could have been a lot worse. I expected it to be a lot worse. I like the helmet well enough. Other than the BFBS, the colors are OK, and the new number font is decent. Where the whole set loses me is the New York wordmark and the silly "paper airplane" stripes. Those two elements take the set from the NFL level to the Omaha Beef's league.

I can agree with this analysis...

This uniform could have been a very nicely done "classic" design, but as usual, Nike went about three steps too far.  2 out of 5. Big downgrade. 

...but not with this conclusion. Despite the flaws in the Jets' new uniform, for me the brighter green alone qualifies the new set as an upgrade.

We can hope that the team will eventually simplify the look by getting rid of those unnecessary shapes on the shoulders if enough fans complain about them.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I personally know several people who moved to Union City simply because they found good rent there. These people have never stopped thinking of themselves as New Yorkers, even decades later.

I also know people who first came to the area as students from elsewhere in the county, and found places to live in Jersey City. Yet their entire identities revolve around being New Yorkers

Then they’re kidding themselves.

Nothing wrong with being from Jersey.  Enjoy it, be proud of it. No need to pretend to be something that you’re not. 

So the first chance we'll get to see the Jets new shade of green in daylight will likely be OTAs. Do NFL teams usually change their practice uniform for OTAs after getting new uniforms, or would we likely have to wait until training camp to see that? We'll definitely see the new helmets at OTA's, but not sure if they'll have got practice jerseys in the new green ready to for that.

Don't usually follow OTAs

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This thread has taken an annoying turn.

All because one NY Cosmos fan didn’t want to admit the Giants and Jets are New York teams...

This place can be wild at times.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Well, Trenton is not part of the New York City area. It is actually on the outskirts of the Philadelphia metropolitan area, sitting only about 30 miles away.

Yeah, I know. I've been to Trenton numerous times. My point was that Trenton reminding me a little bit of Toledo was something nice I could say about New Jersey. Full disclosure, the part of Trenton that reminded me a little of Toledo was actually just a strip mall that looked similar to one in Toledo. That was the nicest thing I could say about New Jersey. 

I'll bet that you enjoy the characterisation of Toledo on the excellent NBC sitcom A.P. Bio.

I think you meant characterization. In any case, I've never heard of A.P. Bio. I haven't watched a network sitcom in years, but I'll give A.P. Bio a look. My guess is the show isn't very kind to my hometown.  That said, I was mostly kidding when I said Toledo is the actual "America's greatest city." Toledo is my hometown so I'm probably a little biased. 

...but not with this conclusion. Despite the flaws in the Jets' new uniform, for me the brighter green alone qualifies the new set as an upgrade.

To each his own...

BB52Big.jpg

54 minutes ago, infrared41 said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think you meant characterization. In any case, I've never heard of A.P. Bio.

I most certainly meant "characterisation"; for, you see, old bean, I favour English-style spellings.

54 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I haven't watched a network sitcom in years, but I'll give A.P. Bio a look. My guess is the show isn't very kind to my hometown.

The main character is a former Harvard philosophy professor who has been reduced to teaching A.P. bio in a Toledo high school. He has open disdain for the gig and for the town; and he refuses even to engage with the material. His students are at first aghast (and one super-smart student remains aghast); but they eventually come to enjoy their time in this easy A class.

Glenn Howerton plays the charmingly arrogant main character; and scenes are regularly stolen by Patton Oswalt as the principal and Paula Pell as the principal's secretary. Also, the young actors who play the students are superb.

This show is the best thing to happen to Toledo on television since Klinger.

48-1.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

38 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I most certainly meant "characterisation"; for, you see, old bean, I favour English-style spellings.

A New Yorker working to come across as a Brit. Sounds about right. If you don't mind my asking, why do you prefer English-style spellings? Is it meant to add a level of gravitas to your posts or something?

A.P. Bio lost me at Patton Oswalt. Mr. Oswalt isn't my cup of tea. I'm an insufferable snob when it comes to comedy and A.P. Bio sounds like the typical, formulaic, three camera with a laugh track sitcom. I don't do those. 

FWIW, M*A*S*H* may, in fact, be the worst thing to ever happen to Toledo. The show made people believe that Tony Packo's hot dogs are good. They are not. B)

BB52Big.jpg

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And vice versa; no Jerseyite would ever be allowed to call themselves a New Yorker in front of people who actually earn that honor.  😛 

Philadelphia is like this even more. If you’re on the wrong side of City Line Ave, dont you dare say that you are from Philly

Archived