TheFallenHaveRisen

New York Jets unveil new uniforms

16 hours ago, tp49 said:

The old logo would be a perfect representation of the Jets as a franchise at several points in their history.  Now those jokes could be MAX-8 instead of Concorde or some combination of both.  When I see the 70's-80's Jets wordmark I'm reminded of Rich Kotite, Ken O'Brien, Dennis Byrd, Gastineau and his issues, and Belichek telling them to go to hell after taking their HC job for 30 seconds.  I agree it was best left in the past.

But what about McNeil, Walker & Toon, the alliteration in their secondary (Donald Dykes, Harry Hamilton, and Lester Lyles) and Joe Walton's backwards hat and picked nose?  Surely those evoke some positive memories, no?  Also, Belicheat told them to go to hell with the white helmets, just sayin'.  

What would you have thought about a refresh/modernization of that Concorde logo with this set?

13 hours ago, WavePunter said:

You forgot the BFBS similarity as well!

But seriously, I don't disagree here.. a consistent green, proper shoulder stripes, and an updated logo is all the previous set really needed

14 hours ago, jws008 said:

To be serious for a moment, and to make an analogy with their New York expansion brethren, these uniforms really strike me as the Jets version of the Mets “swoosh” tail uniforms — trying to evoke the past (but not really), while trying to be modern in a tacky way. For the Mets, the tacky was a silly swoosh; for the Jets it will be this silly triangle/wedge thing or the city name on the chest (or both). 

Hopefully, the Jets will realize with their next uniform update that they already have their signature look — it just needed proper shoulder stripes and a single green.

Given the choice between a “fixed” version of the last set, their 80s and 90s set, and this new one, I’ll take the first option every time.

Great call here.  I forgot all about that Met uniform.  I think they had those in that awful Jeff Torborg year.   Jets will probably go 12-4 minimum next year so that's the only parallel I don't see here...

15 hours ago, jws008 said:

To be serious for a moment, and to make an analogy with their New York expansion brethren, these uniforms really strike me as the Jets version of the Mets “swoosh” tail uniforms — trying to evoke the past (but not really), while trying to be modern in a tacky way. For the Mets, the tacky was a silly swoosh; for the Jets it will be this silly triangle/wedge thing or the city name on the chest (or both). 

Hopefully, the Jets will realize with their next uniform update that they already have their signature look — it just needed proper shoulder stripes and a single green.

Given the choice between a “fixed” version of the last set, their 80s and 90s set, and this new one, I’ll take the first option every time.

Just to be clear, it’s the Mets uniforms from 1993-94 that I’m referencing, not so much the BFBS ones that came later.

Link to “Dressed to the Nines” uniform database

Can we get off this Concorde stuff already? There was one fatal accident with it, and it happened in 2000 after the Jets already ditched the green helmets and 80s logo. 

But don't let facts interrupt your singular buttfumble vision of the Jets. There are twelve teams who have never even won one Super Bowl, plenty of others (Chiefs in particular) who are just about in the same boat as the Jets. 

Surely there's a thread somewhere in Sports in General you can go on about Jets' follies.

3 hours ago, JD1500 said:

Great call here.  I forgot all about that Met uniform.  I think they had those in that awful Jeff Torborg year.   Jets will probably go 12-4 minimum next year so that's the only parallel I don't see here...

Jets 12-4 minimum next year? They could challenge for a playoff spot, but I don't see 12-plus wins as realistic. They share their division with the  Patriots, a Bills team with a lot of young talent, and a Dolphins team whose current starting QB (Fitzy) seems to win one or two games per year that should be blowout losses - see, e.g., Tampa Bay at New Orleans, week 1 last year. The Jets also play the Raiders, Jaguars, entire AFC North, and entire NFC East. If they can beat both Oakland and Jacksonville, go 3-1 against each of the other divisions, and go 4-2 in their own division, they can get to 12-4, but that seems farfetched. 9-10 wins seems more realistic to me, and even that could be disturbed if the Bills' chemistry develops faster than the Jets'.

Maybe Jets should have gone back to their 1963 uniforms, at least back then they had a jet plane in their logo! 🙂

✈️

New York at Denver

Bears Stadium (Mile High) 

Denver, Colorado 

17-NOV-1963

Jets 14 – Broncos 9

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Jets 12-4 minimum next year? They could challenge for a playoff spot, but I don't see 12-plus wins as realistic. They share their division with the  Patriots, a Bills team with a lot of young talent, and a Dolphins team whose current starting QB (Fitzy) seems to win one or two games per year that should be blowout losses - see, e.g., Tampa Bay at New Orleans, week 1 last year. The Jets also play the Raiders, Jaguars, entire AFC North, and entire NFC East. If they can beat both Oakland and Jacksonville, go 3-1 against each of the other divisions, and go 4-2 in their own division, they can get to 12-4, but that seems farfetched. 9-10 wins seems more realistic to me, and even that could be disturbed if the Bills' chemistry develops faster than the Jets'.

Your analysis is much more realistic.  I was just being facetious.  I'm a realist and pragmatist when it comes to the Jets because I've so rarely seen them overachieve in my nearly 40 years of following them.  It's either they're expected to be 4-12 and they go 4-12, expected to be 8-8 and they go 4-12, expected to win 10-11 games and they go 4-12 or expected to go 7-9 and they surprise and go 8-8.   Right now I think their over/under is at 7, so I'm hopeful this Gotham Green will be good for a win by itself which will put them at 8-7-1.  I see a tie with Jacksonville coming.  I love ties, mostly because the NFL hates them.

Beyond that the Jets have only put up one 12-win season in my lifetime, so I'd be more fearful of the state of the world if they were to win 12 this year, especially coming off of a 4-12 campaign.  

I actually like these. The helmet logo would be better without the football but it still works. The colors are better too. Not a fan of the black unis but it's only going to be used 2-3 times a year at most. The jersey streak is similar to to the Chargers and only stands out because there's nothing inside it. Had they done two streaks but kept them inside the sleeve caps it would've been pretty clunky. 

21 hours ago, jn8 said:

This helmet would be awful.

The triangle works as stripes on the jersey, but it’s not a logo.

Right but my feeling is it would have to be something like this (completely different from anything they'd have to date) to work. The trying to be new while still trying to be old doesn't work at all. Got to go full new to make a break from the past. 

jetsstreak.jpg

21 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I will never, ever step into their stadium.

This is silly. I get city/state pride but refusing to go to a football game just because it’s technically in New Jersey is a whole other level of New York arrogance. 

12 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Right but my feeling is it would have to be something like this (completely different from anything they'd have to date) to work. The trying to be new while still trying to be old doesn't work at all. Got to go full new to make a break from the past. 

jetsstreak.jpg

What they have now looks better.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:28 PM, monkeypower said:

Upon further review of the Jets jerseys, I am willing to concede to some of @Ice_Cap and et al.'s point about looking like the Roughriders because of the pants (though I am a bit irked as to why my post needed to be responded too, despite said response happening after the original Jets thread was locked, but that's neither here nor there).

Well that was my bad. See, I got the notification that you had replied to me, and it took me to that post. I posted a response, and only noticed the thread was locked after I had made the post. 

Had I known that the thread was locked? I would have made that post in this one. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:28 PM, monkeypower said:

I will still contend the similarities mostly stem from the fact there's only so many ways similar shades of green can look on a football team. 

That’s fine. 

The whole thing, for me, is that the Roughriders similarities were very apparent at first glance, so I made a comment. And I’m not the only one, based on these boards and the internet in general. I’m not the only one who made the comparison. 

Thing is, it was just that. A comparison. Not criticism or a knock against the new Jets unis. It was worth a comment on my end and nothing more. 

Until I saw how unreasonably upset it made some people. And that just struck me as silly.

Someone says a kelly green, white, and black football uniform reminds them of another kelly green, white, and black football uniform and this upsets someone? The notion just seems tragically silly. 

I brought up the Roughriders comparison because it was legitimately one of the first things to pop into my head upon seeing these new Jets unis. That’s all. No need for anyone to get pissy over that. 

Love that they went back to the green helmets, but wouldve been better with the Jet w/stripes like the AAF Memphis Express helmet.

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:
On 4/5/2019 at 5:35 PM, NYC Cosmos said:

I will never, ever step into their stadium.

This is silly. I get city/state pride but refusing to go to a football game just because it’s technically in New Jersey is a whole other level of New York arrogance. 

Speaking as an arrogant New Yorker, I can say that that position is not only silly, but it is also entirely backwards.

The fact that a team that is located in New Jersey identifies with New York City is an acknowledgement of the primacy of our great City. Such a policy on the part of a team says that the only thing important about that location is that it is part of the New York City area. (Not "market", please, as there is so much more to New York's greatness than commerce.) New York is the capital of the world, the centre of the universe. Its influence does not stop at its borders.

And this truth was affirmed by the MetroStars when they (having several years earlier shorn themselves of the risible and unwieldy geographical identifier "New York / New Jersey") changed their name to the New York Red Bulls. When they did this, they were about to open a new stadium in Harrison, immediately adjacent to Newark, which is New Jersey's largest city and a fine metropolis in its own right. But the only thing that the team's new owners were interested in was the fact that the team is in the New York City area, connected to the City proper by the (highly underrated) interstate subway system known as the PATH train.

(I should note that I support NYCFC, and strongly dislike the Red Bulls. I absolutely hate the team's corporate nickname. But I have all the respect in the world for the decision on the part of the team's ownership to adopt the correct geographical identifier of New York.)

I would also like to say that I have no patience for the comment "Jersey is Jersey". The great small cities of Hudson County are not at all what we arrogant New Yorkers have in mind when we sneer at Jersey.

I have ridden my bike all over New Jersey, more than once out to my relatives' house in Morris County. Now that is what we mean when we dismiss Jersey and say that Jersey sucks.

But please do not conflate those awful suburban hellscapes with vibrant urban centres such as Jersey City, Hoboken, and Union City. These are places that feel like home to a New Yorker, much moreso than does the eastern Queens nowheresville where I grew up (but fortunately escaped), to say nothing of that benighted wasteland Staten Island.

Finally, I can only wonder whether someone with the Cosmos' name as his screenname grasps the irony of denouncing the Jets for playing in the Meadowlands, as the Cosmos are an historic phenomenon solely on the basis of their play in the Meadowlands. When Mick Jagger and other celebrities were attending Cosmos matches, they weren't so much going to New Jersey as much as they were taking part in New York City's culture.

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I feel like they're just repeating the stuff Ed Koch and other NY politicians were outspoken about during the move. Why would the average fan care this much about it? Most people in the Jersey suburbs work and spend money in NYC anyway. It's all the same.

"The mayor of New York City, Ed Koch, and the governor of New York, Mario Cuomo, are under fire for their lack of interest in the Giants and their possible shot at the Super Bowl. Indeed, both men are more than uninterested: Neither sees any reason why the Giants should be feted in the city or state. No ticker-tape parade for that team, no matter what they win. Both men are dead right."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1986-12-28-8603190599-story.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1014598-new-york-giants-no-longer-exist-no-not-the-baseball-team?m=0

1 minute ago, daveindc said:

Most people in the Jersey suburbs work and spend money in NYC anyway. It's all the same.

Exactly. Say the state lines were such that the Meadowlands were within New York State’s boundaries. No one would care about the Giants and Jets claiming to represent NYC, even if they were technically outside of it. 

That the NJ/NY state line cuts the Meadowlands off from New York State doesn’t matter- it’s all part of the same metro area. 

These uniforms are not anything new except for the black unis. All the elements are either from the old logos or the 80-90s ones so this moving forward junk is just junk. The triangle is just the top of the oldish wordmark. So many things they could have done to actually make a decent splash. Not that I hate this because I love the color and helmet but for anyone to think this is something completely different from the past is lying to themselves 

On 4/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, gosioux76 said:

I really love the idea of this set. The new green is great, the return to green helmets is welcomed. Yes, the uniforms are a bit plain, but that's also something I welcome. 

I just don't like the logo. This set's screaming to have the old '80s-'90s Jets logo return to the helmet. It seems like such a no-brainer. 

The helmet logo needs to incorporate the triangle that is used in the jersey and pants striping, even if it's just a small representation above or below the wordmark.