TheFallenHaveRisen

New York Jets unveil new uniforms

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I personally know several people who moved to Union City simply because they found good rent there. These people have never stopped thinking of themselves as New Yorkers, even decades later.

I also know people who first came to the area as students from elsewhere in the county, and found places to live in Jersey City. Yet their entire identities revolve around being New Yorkers

Then they’re kidding themselves.

Nothing wrong with being from Jersey.  Enjoy it, be proud of it. No need to pretend to be something that you’re not. 

1 hour ago, LogoFan said:

For Nike, this isn't bad.  My biggest gripe is the helmet shine...would look better in matte finish or maybe satin finish, IMHO

I love Michigan State's helmets.

Utah State v Michigan State : News PhotoUtah State v Michigan State : News Photo

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

I love Michigan State's helmets.

Utah State v Michigan State : News PhotoUtah State v Michigan State : News Photo

Yes!  This look would have been perfect for the new look.  Those Spartan helmets are sharp.

So the first chance we'll get to see the Jets new shade of green in daylight will likely be OTAs. Do NFL teams usually change their practice uniform for OTAs after getting new uniforms, or would we likely have to wait until training camp to see that? We'll definitely see the new helmets at OTA's, but not sure if they'll have got practice jerseys in the new green ready to for that.

Don't usually follow OTAs

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This thread has taken an annoying turn.

All because one NY Cosmos fan didn’t want to admit the Giants and Jets are New York teams...

This place can be wild at times.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Well, Trenton is not part of the New York City area. It is actually on the outskirts of the Philadelphia metropolitan area, sitting only about 30 miles away.

Yeah, I know. I've been to Trenton numerous times. My point was that Trenton reminding me a little bit of Toledo was something nice I could say about New Jersey. Full disclosure, the part of Trenton that reminded me a little of Toledo was actually just a strip mall that looked similar to one in Toledo. That was the nicest thing I could say about New Jersey. 

I'll bet that you enjoy the characterisation of Toledo on the excellent NBC sitcom A.P. Bio.

I think you meant characterization. In any case, I've never heard of A.P. Bio. I haven't watched a network sitcom in years, but I'll give A.P. Bio a look. My guess is the show isn't very kind to my hometown.  That said, I was mostly kidding when I said Toledo is the actual "America's greatest city." Toledo is my hometown so I'm probably a little biased. 

...but not with this conclusion. Despite the flaws in the Jets' new uniform, for me the brighter green alone qualifies the new set as an upgrade.

To each his own...

54 minutes ago, infrared41 said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'll bet that you enjoy the characterisation of Toledo on the excellent NBC sitcom A.P. Bio.

I think you meant characterization. In any case, I've never heard of A.P. Bio.

I most certainly meant "characterisation"; for, you see, old bean, I favour English-style spellings.

54 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I haven't watched a network sitcom in years, but I'll give A.P. Bio a look. My guess is the show isn't very kind to my hometown.

The main character is a former Harvard philosophy professor who has been reduced to teaching A.P. bio in a Toledo high school. He has open disdain for the gig and for the town; and he refuses even to engage with the material. His students are at first aghast (and one super-smart student remains aghast); but they eventually come to enjoy their time in this easy A class.

Glenn Howerton plays the charmingly arrogant main character; and scenes are regularly stolen by Patton Oswalt as the principal and Paula Pell as the principal's secretary. Also, the young actors who play the students are superb.

This show is the best thing to happen to Toledo on television since Klinger.

48-1.jpg

38 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I most certainly meant "characterisation"; for, you see, old bean, I favour English-style spellings.

A New Yorker working to come across as a Brit. Sounds about right. If you don't mind my asking, why do you prefer English-style spellings? Is it meant to add a level of gravitas to your posts or something?

A.P. Bio lost me at Patton Oswalt. Mr. Oswalt isn't my cup of tea. I'm an insufferable snob when it comes to comedy and A.P. Bio sounds like the typical, formulaic, three camera with a laugh track sitcom. I don't do those. 

FWIW, M*A*S*H* may, in fact, be the worst thing to ever happen to Toledo. The show made people believe that Tony Packo's hot dogs are good. They are not. B)

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And vice versa; no Jerseyite would ever be allowed to call themselves a New Yorker in front of people who actually earn that honor.  😛 

Philadelphia is like this even more. If you’re on the wrong side of City Line Ave, dont you dare say that you are from Philly

This thread has simply reminded me that the ignore function serves a wonderful purpose.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

All because one NY Cosmos fan didn’t want to admit the Giants and Jets are New York teams...

Big unveilings bring out the strangest folks to this weird niche forum.

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

A New Yorker working to come across as a Brit. Sounds about right. If you don't mind my asking, why do you prefer English-style spellings? Is it meant to add a level of gravitas to your posts or something?

I am by no means trying to come across as a Brit; I wear my status as a lifelong New Yorker on my sleeve. I switched to English-style spellings almost thirty years ago mainly on the grounds of aesthetics; words such as "colour" and "centre", and words with the suffix -ise just look nicer to me. These are the original forms; and they strike me as the better forms. They were used in the U.S. for quite a while, even after independence; and there's no reason that they shouldn't go on being used. (At least one of these forms, "theatre", has plenty of currency in standard American usage.)

Also, there is more than a bit of homage-paying going on, as I am an anglophile who grew up loving English comedy (Monty Python, The Two Ronnies, Hitchhiker's Guide, Reginald Perrin) and English rock (Beatles, Stones, the Who, Sabbath, Deep Purple). And as an adult I started following English football, and thereby discovered the amazingly good newspaper The Guardian; and I also found the writer who has become my favourite author, P.G. Wodehouse.

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

FWIW, M*A*S*H* may, in fact, be the worst thing to ever happen to Toledo. The show made people believe that Tony Packo's hot dogs are good. They are not.

Interesting. What's wrong with them? Is there a rival hot dog place that you champion, in the manner of the Philadelphia cheesesteak war between partisans of Geno's and Pat's?

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

the Philadelphia cheesesteak war between partisans of Geno's and Pat's?

That's not really a thing.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:
7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

the Philadelphia cheesesteak war between partisans of Geno's and Pat's?

That's not really a thing.

Oh? I read references to it occasionally. But to think that outsiders get the matter wrong would not surprise me.

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Pretty ironic, since the Cosmos don’t play in New York City either. 😛 

Oh? I read references to it occasionally. But to think that outsiders get the matter wrong would not surprise me.

I live a short walk from those places.  The lines are tourists.  The roast pork is the "philly sandwich" and many people have their own "spot" for that, but even then it's not like that's anyone's whole diet like they'd have you believe..  Residents that I know only hit the cheesesteaks if it's 2:30 AM and that's the only thing open, or if you're going to a Phillies game and want to BYO food (they still allow you to bring your own food/soft drinks in.)

I am by no means trying to come across as a Brit; I wear my status as a lifelong New Yorker on my sleeve.

Also, there is more than a bit of homage-paying going on, as I am an anglophile 

:blink:

😛 

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

FWIW, M*A*S*H* may, in fact, be the worst thing to ever happen to Toledo. The show made people believe that Tony Packo's hot dogs are good. They are not. B)

I lived in Toledo during the decade of the 90's. Met my wife there, got married there, have nothing but great memories.

IMO its not that Tony Packo's is especially bad, it's that (Thanks to M*A*S*H) everybody comes to town thinking its THE place, and that if you're local, you must worship it.  It's kind of like visiting Australia, and wanting to go to Outback Steakhouse. (I mean, maybe. Hell, I've never been to Australia, right?)

Anyway,here's all you need to know about Tony Packo's.  They serve something they call a Chili Sundae;

spacer.png

spacer.png  

That's a "Sundae" with sour cream instead of ice cream, chili sauce instead of chocolate sauce, cheese instead of nuts (I guess), and a cherry tomato.  Read it again, if you don't believe it.

(See, I can take a thread deep into left field, too.)

Interesting. What's wrong with them? Is there a rival hot dog place that you champion, in the manner of the Philadelphia cheesesteak war between partisans of Geno's and Pat's?

Wont catch me at either I go another place for that sweet philly cheese taste